BCP - The Big Count Project - Helpers Wanted!

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

BCP - The Big Count Project - Helpers Wanted!

Postby Amkorra » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I promised months ago to do this but as always,
when you plan something in Virtual Live: Your Real Live gets upset and destroys your plans ;)

Anyway: Welcome to...

The "Big Count Project"!

This was originally planned to look through all pets on CS and count the URs, so at the moment I still have to tweak my code a little to be more usable ;)
most interesting are, of cause, the URs and the Advent List pets.
The goal of this project is to get an estimate on how many pets are in circulation of each kind. Wouldn't you love to know how many of your dreamy are on the whole site? However, these won't be the same numbers as Nick uses for the rareties. The reason for this is quite simple: Nick has a calculation for pets on inactive accounts. It would be a lot of work, to do this.

Rules for the thread:

- no spamming - no bashing - no rudeness
- you are free to voice your opinion about this, but in a calm way
- no "bookmarking" posts. Please use the actual bookmarks on the bottom of the thread
-enough for the moment

The Plan:

1. Look through:
- show 100 pets per page.
------(once a pet was clicked it won't show up on the page anymore, so if 20 out of 100 are clicked only 80 will be displayed)
- Helper clicks on the ptes that are currently counted
--> We get all Rares List Pets from whole site (off-accounts, too, meaning pets that can't be traded, also pets on inactive accounts)

2. Sorting into Groups
My Task: generate groups:
    UR Pets
    Above the Gap
    "Toxic, Sorbet, Joker"
    "Tribal,Galaxy, Balloons, Winged Wood Angel" (these should be quite easy to find out?)
    PPS pets
    Other Species pets (Bunnies, Rats, Horses...)
    *might change*
Helper Task:
View: 10 pets per page(???), Select Box for groups

2.2 Sort pets to pet names:
- Helper gets show 1 pet? or maybe more
- Selects pet name, maybe if pet is on or off account
- move on through list
Note: pet-page gets shown in iframe, so Helper can see if it's an off account-pet

3. Sadistic Statistic :twisted:
---> My Part: Make Count of all pets per name and show it off here

=> start with UR pets, continue with less rare pets

Re-release stats:
December 18th 2009
7268067-through-7324203

December 18th 2010
25432641-through-25631198

December 18th 2011
54673270-through-54831930

December 24th 2011
55494774-through-55648443

December 18th 2012:
85358238-through-85543745

Apply as Helper!
Code: Select all
[size=150]I want to be a Helper![/size]
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]What times would you be able to help?[/b] (include timezone or CS time)
[b]How much time would you be willing to spend?[/b]
[b]When did you join?[/b]
[b]How good do you know the rares list?[/b]
[b]Do you promise to not abuse the script?[/b]
Last edited by Amkorra on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amkorra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: BCP - The Big Count Projekt - Count the CS Pets!

Postby tawnypelt3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:20 pm

There is already a count for UR/Omg So Rare pets, including zebras, but I do not believe there is one for any other pets. c:

Also, I don't think it's possible to count every single pet of each outcome, perhaps not even every single pet for each outcome of a single litter, simply because of the massive amounts of time it would take to look through all ID numbers adopted in one month to find every release of any single outcome, but I support you if this is something you are determined to take on. c:

Also, why is "project" spelled with a "K?" It annoys my inner English teacher...
I was hacked. Not going to remake all my groups and such unless I feel like it. That's a lotta work. Don't bother with trades, everything's a mess.

Need: Image
Will offer reasonable overpay.
Note to self:
Reduce idiot level.
tawnypelt3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: BCP - The Big Count Project - Count the CS Pets!

Postby Amkorra » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:09 pm

tawnypelt3 wrote:
There is already a count for UR/Omg So Rare pets, including zebras, but I do not believe there is one for any other pets. c:

Also, I don't think it's possible to count every single pet of each outcome, perhaps not even every single pet for each outcome of a single litter, simply because of the massive amounts of time it would take to look through all ID numbers adopted in one month to find every release of any single outcome, but I support you if this is something you are determined to take on. c:

Also, why is "project" spelled with a "K?" It annoys my inner English teacher...

Because I'm not native speaker and in German the word project exists in a similar way: Projekt >.<
My fault *fixes right after this post*

Well, yes, it will use some time.
There are currently nearly 100.000.000 pets
on pages of 100, there will still be 1.000.000 pages to look through
but to identify a pet as list pet will only be a click each
I planned on adding the following, too: once a pet is identified (and with that, it's id is in my database) it won't be displayed again
so if one is missed, you will easily be seeing it under all the non list pets

Still, yes: it will be a lot of work.. that why I will need helpers later on
(of cause I'm going to look through these pages, too, but I hope you can understand, that doing this all by myself is impossible.. or would need a whole year)

On an additional note:
You don't have to look through ALL the 1.000.000 pages. Only to the times the original release happened and through the re-releases
This should reduce the amount of pets drastically. Especially Store Pets will be easy to count as they are not re-released

Also I know about the count Zebras and URs thread.. that's where the idea for this was born ;)
Amkorra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Amkorra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm

bumping his up now ^^

Com'on, what do you people think about this? Would you be willing to help me?
Amkorra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DerbyGirl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:17 am

Interesting, but yes, the amount of time it would take would be crazy...and looking through all those rereleases? yikes.

I would presume nonactive account pets would be in the mix as well, if you are doing this by pet ID?
Let's Chat! wrote:Trade and pet value
questions? 1×1 RP? Just want to chat?
Feel free to PM me, my inbox is always open!

Image ImageImage ~ Image
DerbyGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Amkorra » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:19 am

DerbyGirl wrote:Interesting, but yes, the amount of time it would take would be crazy...and looking through all those rereleases? yikes.

I would presume nonactive account pets would be in the mix as well, if you are doing this by pet ID?

Well, the more people help, the faster it is finished

yeah, non active account pets do count, as they could still be traded when the owner comes back.
But it would give us a more exact estimate on how many pets are out there then simply looking at the rarity changes

It also could help improve the rares list.
But at the moment there seems not to be much interest in helping this Project.
I won't be able to do this alone.
Amkorra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:26 am

Scary... great minds think alike. Except I don't have as much free time |DD;

By the way, just a thought for whenever you're coding this thing:

You should put &noitems=1 right before the .jpg in the pet image URLs so that any pets with items on them will be shown with no items. Just a thought ^^

My main concern about this is how CS's server/etc will be affected, with all of those images loading... but then again, I think it's only a problem if a lot of people are working on this at the same time xD I once loaded all 6000-odd pets in someone's trade group all at once, but I don't do that on a daily basis and I'm pretty sure other people usually don't do that on a daily basis either xD;
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Amkorra » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm

nickjr wrote:Scary... great minds think alike. Except I don't have as much free time |DD;

By the way, just a thought for whenever you're coding this thing:

You should put &noitems=1 right before the .jpg in the pet image URLs so that any pets with items on them will be shown with no items. Just a thought ^^

My main concern about this is how CS's server/etc will be affected, with all of those images loading... but then again, I think it's only a problem if a lot of people are working on this at the same time xD I once loaded all 6000-odd pets in someone's trade group all at once, but I don't do that on a daily basis and I'm pretty sure other people usually don't do that on a daily basis either xD;

Yeah, I had this monthes ago, when I saw the UR Pet Count ^^ good to see others came to that Idea, too

Oh, the noitems was already implemented as when I worked on it monthes ago, and tryed, I had problems to find out which pet was hidden under the items. then I found the noitem Param to the image creating file :twisted:

I already had this concern about the servers too.
Normally it shouldn't be that harmfull to the server.
There are moments like the pound when sometimes 100 and more people are loading at least 20 pets in the same secounds... gets a little laggy, but as the helpers will probably watch the pound too, it shouldn't be that harmfull. (at least I believe this)
can be wrong, but I think I'll add to my later helper form, at what time the people will usually have time, so that there won't be too many people browsing at the same time.
think this might solve the problem best?
Amkorra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Lol, good to know you discovered that trick! I see a lot of people who don't know it xD

Hm, that could work. Maybe also time it so that not too many people/no people at all are doing it when the pound opens? There are also "peak hours" of CS; I don't stalk CS enough to know when those are unfortunately xD
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Amkorra » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 am

nickjr wrote:Lol, good to know you discovered that trick! I see a lot of people who don't know it xD

Hm, that could work. Maybe also time it so that not too many people/no people at all are doing it when the pound opens? There are also "peak hours" of CS; I don't stalk CS enough to know when those are unfortunately xD

Well, at the moment there are over 300 users
at peack times (I couldn't sleep yesterday so I was on at the peack... thats arround midnight my time... probably as the pets could grow at that time) there is at least 3 times more.
so if we try to not do this at that time, it should be no problem.
Amkorra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me