Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Oekaki Weekly Challenge Board: Your thoughts (tick all that apply)

I don't use or visit the oekaki boards at all
7%
I use or browse the oekaki sometimes, but I never go to the weekly challenge board
12%
I sometimes browse or draw in the weekly challenge board
13%
I try to use the weekly challenge board every week
2%
I like the weekly challenge board the way it is and don't think it should change
4%
I think we need longer than 1 week to submit entries for the weekly challenge
8%
It would be good if some of the old weekly challenges were used again so that we could do the ones we missed
14%
It would be good if we could submit weekly challenge ideas
21%
It would be good if the weekly challenge is announced at the top of the forum each week to remind us to check it
20%

Total votes : 2912

Re: Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Postby CHERRILOID » Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)
hmm looking at my gallery my guess is yes but hey dont quote me on that |D
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
yessss i have
i enjoy it when i participate, but somehow it looks like ive only remembered to take part eight times :B
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
i think its enough time, yes. i often dont actually finish the pictures i do for the challenge, but thats just because i get either forgetful or lazy. or both. but, in my opinion, any longer and it risks lasting for too long
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
not really, no. haha, ive missed most of the challenges, but i, personally, dont mind that much :p
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
mmmm
cant say i remember a lot, since i often forget to check. but, in my opinion, id say there are some that werent all that interesting, if i may be blunt. the "draw your bedroom/dream bedroom" one, for example, didnt really interest me. however, i think the idea of designing a character inspired by seasons is fun. simple, but fun. im not sure how many there has been or if there was just that one, but i think there should be some more themed character challenges

whats up, im loid and im some
nerd whos literally just here for the
childhood nostalgia, lmao. im in kirby
hell and im such a nerd that i picked
sixth form over college. most of this
account is really old (from when i was
between 7 - 14 years old) so if you want
to cry at my weird tiny baby self feel
free : o)
CHERRILOID

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Da Muffinz » Mon May 05, 2014 6:24 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: Yes
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
No, I have not, mostly because I don't have the time and I get off topic way too easily D|
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: It's not too horribly short, but I say you should give it 2-3 weeks.
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Yes, but not too often.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season): They're decent as well as good ideas, but sometimes you just don't want to d something, so it really depends.
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: I just haven't had the time and I want more freedom with what I draw I guess. I also don't really have a fursona or any OCs I love right now, so that's another deterrent.
ImageImage
Da Muffinz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby obsolete dream » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)
Yup!
Yes, and two or three.
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
Yeah, I actually think one week is fair, I usually can't wait for the next one.
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
Maybe; I missed like, 29 weeks.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
I like them.
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
I use it, so this will remain blank.__________________________________
moxie + he/she/it
i’m not very active, please be patient!
obsolete dream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avaria » Mon May 05, 2014 9:09 am

No, I'm a bit too shy.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Yes, but maybe with a slight bit of change?

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season) I really enjoy the themes, they are extremely creative and very fun.

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: I don't use Oekaki but I think I know why some members do not use the weekly challenge board, a lot of people are shy and dislike posting their art, like me for example, but I just think it's the fact it's a challenge and they'll be posting their art for a challenge that others are participating in and posting it in general, but that's what I think. :3
── growing up
. . . .
╔══════════════╗
nena
partner in crime

╚══════════════╝

╔══════════════╗
art credit
signature credit

╚══════════════╝
. . . .
something else
avaria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Akami-chan » Mon May 05, 2014 9:24 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
Yes, I usually stick to user-made adoptables but I dabbled in pretty much all of them.

Yes, I've done it once.

I think it's enough time to draw something, I just don't know if it's enough time to get interested in drawing something (if that makes sense?). Maybe turn it into a "monthly" challenge instead?

I don't particularly care about this point, but I don't think that would be a bad idea.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
I don't really know what themes you guys have used. I tried to go back to the previous challenges to check, but everything's kind of jumbled together;;

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
As I said before, I usually just use the adoptable area, but when I do go to draw something else in Oekaki I don't usually think to post there because I'm either not looking to draw based on a prompt or because I feel like more people would see my art in the advanced section.

Just as a suggestion:
You probably already discussed and dismissed prizes before, but maybe if you're trying to increase participation you could offer a prize? Which could potentially be a set of store pets from that month. The winners could be chosen like the "features" section where the best art doesn't necessarily mean that you win.
ImageImageImageImage
Akami-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cmichb » Mon May 05, 2014 11:05 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: Yes. c:
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: Uh, haha, I think I have. But only once and I almost missed it. xD
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: I think it's long enough. ^^
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: I think that would be a great idea!
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? They're pretty fun and cool! It gives people something to draw when they have artist's block. :3
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: I don't really know why I don't use it a lot. I just tend to post under the intermediate and sketches and experiments forums because I'm usually a pretty creative person (usually =u=) and come up with my own ideas rather than someone else's idea of what to draw. Wow. I hope that made sense xD
hi n' stuff.
cmichb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kalo » Mon May 05, 2014 12:18 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
(if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3) Yes, yes I have :)
I have once.
I think it is, if I can find the time to do it. Although other artists may find it to be too short, or if an artist wishing to particiapate is busy for the week, then he/she may miss out - which would be a bummer, although for the most part I'd say a week should be fine.
I personally would love it if that happened. At the time of the first few challenges it had totally slipped my mind that I had an OC - I hadn't participated because I didn't know if I really had anyone to draw. I would love to have the opportunity to participate in the old challenges. One thing that I'd really like to see is a list of old challenges. That way if someone (such as me) were to be looking for something to draw, they could pop in, look at the list, and have something to work off of. They wouldn't necessarily have to post it to the board - probably not, as it would no longer be the proper week, but they could do it on their own or post it to the regular Oekaki boards. Another idea branching off of that would be the ability to post in the previous challenges board - if you missed one that you still wanted to do, then you could draw it and post it directly to 'previous challenges.' That would also mean that those who already participated in the old challenges and would rather have new ones would still get those new challenges every week. Others who missed the challenges wouldn't have to worry about missing them a second time as well. Just an idea, of course, but it's something that I, at least, would appreciate. :)
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season):
I think they're really fun. Oftentimes, with the OC/fursona ones, it invites you to explore the character more. Not only will you get better at drawing them by doing it time and time again, you also can dig into and develop the character's personality by exploring what they'd do in different situations.
Mostly it's because I don't have time or I forget - but I think I might do it more often if there were a section of the creativity board also set aside for the weekly challenges. I don't often work very well with ChibiPaint aside from coloring editable, and I would probably be much more motivated if I could do my best work using a program where I can show my best work, such as FireAlpaca.

That's my input on the subject - hopefully you find this helpful. Thank you for asking for my opinions! c:
╔════════════════════════════╗
-------------------Stamps
--Image--Image
╠════════════════════════════╣
-----------------Neon Abstract
╚════════════════════════════╝
╔═══════════════════════════════╗
---------------------Valcencia
╠═══════════════════════════════╣
------------------------Links
----------------------Valencia
╚═══════════════════════════════╝
Kalo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby |-/ » Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm

The weekly challenges seem pretty cool, but I can't draw because my computer doesn't work with java. (It always ends up in a trip to the computer shop .-.) I do look at the art sometimes though! :)
|-/

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby creamcat » Mon May 05, 2014 1:51 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: Yes, but my computer says that chibipaint is a "suspicious software" and it will never let me get onto it anymore
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: no, but I always wanted to!
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: maybe 15 days or maybe a month?
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: No, because people who already participated in that theme before would be bored.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? some are good, some are not so much.
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: NA
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage
creamcat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Mockingjay. » Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: I have once of twice

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: I've only done is once.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: I think it should go on for about 2 weeks.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Yes that would be better than thinking off new ones and getting writers block :D

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? They look fun and some artists are better than others so it's cool to watch the pictures come out in different ways.

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: Because it's a hard for me to get access to a computer. ;)
.Mockingjay.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me