We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby BlossomTail » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:51 pm

Spaceinmyhead wrote:
BlossomTail wrote:
Spaceinmyhead wrote:snip

I like that!

I do agree that a lot of rarities and what pets are worth would be much easier if we know how the rarities are calculated. For example, while I was MIA for 6+ years, were my OMGSR's counted in the circulation of pets? etc.

I think how its currently done is pretty good. I don't know the actual timeline of it, but I believe that every year Nick "rerolls" the rarities basically, and pets that have been inactive in an account for over a certain amount of time arent counted. But say if that person were to come back online and trade that pet, it would be added back into the math for the next years rarity count. At least that's how Im pretty sure it works

Ah, that's very enlightening. I always wondered how that was calculated, and how pets in a persons collection (ie, will not trade away) were "counted" in the rarities.
| B e e |

Looking for Flightrising/C$ trades!
user - tifftac

Balance: 786g | 375kt
Balance: 18C$

BlossomTail

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verd » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:51 pm

Spaceinmyhead wrote:Suggested this to the other staff, wanna see how y'all like it:

A key for rarities, like the type you see on a map. It would just show you how pets are distributed in their rarities. So it would show that a pet is very common if it has, say, 20k ish pets currently in circulation. And those that are rare currently only have 2k in circulation (or what ever the actual number is) that way, when you look at a pet and see that its a rare or an uncommon, you can know the rough estimate of how many of those pets specifically are in circulation all over the site.

This would need some fine tuning obviously, but I think it would help with some transparency.

Any amount of transparency would be hugely welcome. Perhaps if you were to hover over a pet's rarity, you could be given a bit more in-depth information about how many are in circulation, or even perhaps "Owned by (x) percent of users*" (*=active users) though I'm not sure how easy that information would be to track or display on a pet's profile.
Fun to think about nonetheless!

ImageImageImage
verd / vox / tobi
gay man - adult - autistic
trades always open

currently reading/playing:
house of leaves and new vegas
Verd

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:52 pm

Vizzle wrote:What would the 4 rarities do to store pets? I feel like it would create a massive move of them to become OMGSR and make them near impossible to trade for as i feel like only 2008 VRs would only move to be OMGSR, itll be way harder for newbies to trade up. especially since it’ll add so many layers to even attempt to get up there. Would there be more rares/up released in monthly adopts to account for the gaps? Maybe im not reading it right? Could someone explain it further to me if its not the case?

It is likely that more older store pets would move to OMGSR! but that is at the trade-off of knowing which other pets are closer in value to them as others will also turn OMGSR! and there will be new Extremely Rare pets to use in trading. This is mainly what's being addressed here: better understanding of the value of individual pets so that trading up/down/around is easier. I think you may be addressing the somewhat common idea that "two commons equals one uncommon" or similar, but I think this will also help users who are interested in trading values and creating guides make a better distinction, and if such a large change happens (as the poll is currently leaning toward) it will be the nudge for everyone to reevaluate their trading ideas and practices, since I don't think anyone really trades with "two VRs equals an OMGSR!" or similar right now. This update does not address suggestions about making more monthly releases more rare.
Lemon Coyote wrote:I think its a neat idea, but I would also be a little sad if my OMGSR pets didn't have that sweat "omgsr" label. But thats also just me :lol:
BUT I would also like to see the older stores (09-10') go up to extremely rare!

Based on the proposed options, no OMGSR! pets would lose their OMGSR! label!
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Trading updates.

Postby FreddyCenobite » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:55 pm

rey skywalker wrote:I personally think this will complicate trading further, and create more issues. I don't have the breathe to explain it, but trading is so hard these days. Adding new categories to refine the groups, seems like it will make trading impossible at some point. I appreciate the effort, but it fills me with so much anxiety, I really reconsider my own interest in trading at all anymore. I barley do it, because I end up overpaying. Going forward, I see so much demand going into the "new rarities" that are being proposed. This just feels like an issue that will never be resolved. I don't wish to sound so critical, but the amount of anxiety I just got, was so thick.

I do want to trade, I want there to be a future for tading, but with the way users feel about rarities, I never see it being resolved. I see the whole list demanding users to obtain certain rarities. I would prefer we just leave pet values alone, as it's already so impossible to trade these days.

I only trade and buy between my friends, because there's some common feeling about worth there. But beyond this, I only see list owners benefitting, and older users from 2013 and older. I see newer users struggling.

I am a little surprised a lot of the event pets were uncommon, as I feel so many other events possessed more rare pets. I don't see this improving much, I really feel a bulk of the issue being in this list value and true date issue. But that's my two sense. I don't expect others to agree, and I don't know how to fix the problem.

But if you believe this will make things better, I really hope you think it through. Not that you aren't, but rarities have caused so many issues.

I just probably won't be trading going further.

I personally feel like pet rarity tags are not the issue but rarities and values themselves are.

Being an older user (I don't see myself as "old" but I'm also not new), people with certain pets basically run the entire trades system. When I came back from a 2 year break, it took like a year to find basic, monthly pets (most of which were uncommon and under). I had to offer pets from 2011 and I'd still get denied for no reason. I literally overpaid so badly for a few 2019 pets, and the reason I got denied was "sorry." I had to sell 2010 Malk foxes to afford 2019 Fae event Malk foxes. I coughed up so many old store pets because I needed the $$$ to afford pets from 2021. Older users are not exempt from these rates; if anything, we still have to cough up stuff for things that, a few years ago, would cost next to nothing. I don't want to sound like I'm picking a fight 'cause I'm not, but it seems true that if you have certain pets, you literally run the trades system (on site and offsite).

I remember the patchwork was barely valued at like a non and then literally within less than a week it suddenly jumped to 2 non value. You cannot tell people how to value pets, yes, but frankly everything is becoming valued by nons. Nons from a list that doesn't exist anymore but also still exists behind closed doors. I know of one user selling an orange cerb for $700 worth of USD bought currency. Others have ravens worth $600 of USD based currency. I say this as nicely as I can, but let that sink in more than a rarity tag. You have to pay $700 for a pixel that, otherwise, is a ghost in the pet market. You cannot change store pets, but new or not, no one can pay that much for a freaking pixel.

The rarity tags updating can help because people seem to value certain uncommons like they're rare (when they aren't) and etc. But at the same time, rarity tags are the surface problem and I think the real problem is not being addressed: pet rarities and circulation.

If you've ever seen pets in the pound, some of them are from accounts several years ago. Like last month I saw a Cheshire Cat from an account that was banned 7 years ago. It took 7 years to finally be put into the pound circulation. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm really not, but maybe change the going rates of some pets or at least focus more on that than adding a few more rarity tags.

Long term, adding rarity tags can help distinguish pets with one label that are going for a full other label. But also address the issue behind this issue: CS (and users on it) have unintentionally made the pet market a living nightmare. And what market we do have is being run by people with IRL $$$. I buy pets with USD bought currency, I'm not alone, but adding rarity tags isn't doing a long term fix.
Basic info:
Pet of the moment:

Disabled adult She/Her Dog mom Ex-retiree
Movie geek Horror fan Halloween lover
My hoards Trade thread Offsite thread
My FRHow close I am to a full CS set
RIP my little butthead ♥️
CS TikoMy Tiko

If I haven’t responded to offer(s), it means I’m thinking
Last half of my user: Sen-uh-bite (send without the “d”)
Prefer no random PMs unless it's about offers
FreddyCenobite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby conarcoin » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:56 pm

I think my main concern is that I feel like even with more rarity labels, people will still fall back on stuff like "2011 common = two 2012 commons" because of the vagueness of it all. At the very least I hope that people will focus less on dates and more on actual rarity with more specific labels since we won't be left with giant ranges anymore, but I agree that we at the very least need to know what makes a pet fall into a specific rarity category to help avoid the speculation that leads to fights about trades that are perfectly fair.

...Also, shouldn't this be in Chicken Smoothie Discussion and not Adoptable Collections? Extremely minor nitpick, but it's bugging me, lol

connor 🕯️ he/any 🎄 adult
conarcoin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosemoon » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:59 pm

Personally I feel like adding so many new rarities will further make things confusing for everyone. I think spreading them out more evenly is the way to go. But if you genuinely want to add one new rarity space, then I know shadedk9 had the idea to suggest a "Legendary" rarity, rather than a "very uncommon" which truthfully doesn't really make sense.

Also, the problem isn't the rarity labels, it's how people value them.
Rosemoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby crowthefrostyfloof » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:00 pm

I personally do not like the new labels and I feel the redistribution would be easier as it would be not too many labels to keep track of and also would just even out things.

New labels would honestly confuse me as it's just been easier w/ the ones we already have.

Also agreeing w/ Rosemoon on the idea of a legendary trait if we did have another added, as if we did have to add one then i'd be a good one to more equal things out.
crowthefrostyfloof

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Briar-n'-stuff » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:03 pm

I voted 4 rarities, absolutely love that idea! Especially with this recent event having a lot less rares than I expected, with the gap between uncommon and rare being so high rn it feels like adding a few rarities to spread out the values would help people pinpoint more about how rare their pet is and how close/far is is from being rare so you could accurately trade your rares for other pets and vice versa without worrying you under/overpayed when an uncommon suddenly becomes rare or a rare becomes uncommon. I have a few uncommons in my rares group because they were rare when I traded for them but suddenly went uncommon, I kinda feel cheated off of them but I guess it's just what it is. There's always going to be problems with the rare to uncommon gaps but I believe this will somewhat help keep the rares from being the ultimate sign of wealth lol

I think it'll make it a lot easier for the new players to understand values and make it a lot harder for people to scam new guys during Dec. 18th rereleases. (Hopefully!) Of course, people are going to scam regardless but it would give them less insensitive to scam out of fear of being reported. When I first joined the amount of intentional scam trades I got during Dec. 18 was pretty sad to see, the worst part was I joined on Dec. 2nd so I had no time to figure out ANYTHING before being bombarded by scams:'D

"The Honey is sweet, but the bee has a Sting."

Art shop- Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4773507#
Free art- Forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=4867815
Briar-n'-stuff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby icepunk » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:03 pm

Mmm.. The main question thats been forming at my head is why are we jumping from "one additional label" to "four additional labels"? Having a total of eleven rarity labels kind of makes it feel overwhelming to look at, even as an old player. I feel like the addition of Very uncommon + Extremely uncommon seems unnecessary, unless someone could explain the need for those two extra labels; is the gap between uncommon + rare really that large, even with all the events giving new/old players access to higher rarities?
┌─────✦✦✦✦─────┐

XXXX
Imagex

└─────✦✦✦✦─────┘

┌────✦✦✦────┐

» Ahoy there, I'm Ash!!

» Pansexual Genderfluid
» Adult Player / Friendly!

» Artshop (CLOSED)
» 99 Reasons to Live.
» Check out my Dressups!

└───✦✦©✦✦───┘
icepunk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby conarcoin » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:04 pm

I honestly disagree that the redistribution would help. They tried that in 2019 and we're right back here again. The issue is the rarity labels when the rarity labels are so broad that some pets could have thousands more in circulation than others of the same label. Redistribution will get you right back here in a couple years.

I understand that drastic change is hard, but when a site is over 10 years old and the rarity system is nearly identical and has this many issues, it needs to change drastically if you want anything to actually improve.

At least, that's how I personally see it c:

connor 🕯️ he/any 🎄 adult
conarcoin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me