We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby Pizzamuffin » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:46 pm

Spaceinmyhead wrote:Suggested this to the other staff, wanna see how y'all like it:

A key for rarities, like the type you see on a map. It would just show you how pets are distributed in their rarities. So it would show that a pet is very common if it has, say, 20k ish pets currently in circulation. And those that are rare currently only have 2k in circulation (or what ever the actual number is) that way, when you look at a pet and see that its a rare or an uncommon, you can know the rough estimate of how many of those pets specifically are in circulation all over the site.

This would need some fine tuning obviously, but I think it would help with some transparency.

I like this idea, this honestly would be really useful
Imagexx
x
x
x

Pizzamuffin / She/Her / College Student

Hi! I’m a Microbiology major who also happens
to really enjoy art. In my free time I play Genshin,
Wolvden, and cs. I also enjoy reading. Feel
free to pm me if you want to chat!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pizzamuffin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlossomTail » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:46 pm

Spaceinmyhead wrote:Suggested this to the other staff, wanna see how y'all like it:

A key for rarities, like the type you see on a map. It would just show you how pets are distributed in their rarities. So it would show that a pet is very common if it has, say, 20k ish pets currently in circulation. And those that are rare currently only have 2k in circulation (or what ever the actual number is) that way, when you look at a pet and see that its a rare or an uncommon, you can know the rough estimate of how many of those pets specifically are in circulation all over the site.

This would need some fine tuning obviously, but I think it would help with some transparency.

I like that!

I do agree that a lot of rarities and what pets are worth would be much easier if we know how the rarities are calculated. For example, while I was MIA for 6+ years, were my OMGSR's counted in the circulation of pets? etc.
| B e e |

Looking for Flightrising/C$ trades!
user - tifftac

Balance: 786g | 375kt
Balance: 18C$

BlossomTail

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Madel » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:46 pm

I think its a neat idea, but I would also be a little sad if my OMGSR pets didn't have that sweat "omgsr" label. But thats also just me :lol:
BUT I would also like to see the older stores (09-10') go up to extremely rare!
Last edited by Madel on Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Wildlife scientist working in
animal rehabilitation and
rescue. I'm often busy with
work but feel free to DM or
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
macaws, dragons, and wl pets.
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woes » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:46 pm

I am all for adding the four new rarities! I cannot express how appreciated this is and how much we just- Are so happy to see the community listened to.

Yes yes this is perfect! This would help so much with understanding the rarities and trading fairly. We wouldn't have to guess what the ratio between rarities is anymore, or fight over perceived supply vs demand. This would genuinely be perfect, I can't tell you how badly we've wanted something like this since joining!!

𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑, 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐎𝐑, 𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝐈 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐍
𝐌𝐘 𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐓𝐒 𝐆𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐘 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐄
━━━━━━━━━[ Image ]━━━━━━━━━
[ woes. he/they. plural. ]
a very tired bunch of folks that's mostly
inactive outside of stars. please contact
us elsewhere if you need anything urgent.
[ stars. th. ]

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

woes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LilyHorse » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:47 pm

ShorahNagi wrote:It might also give these players better chances at trading as now there might be people willing to [example] trade 2 Extremely uncommons for 1 rare knowing there's a higher chance in the future for those extremely uncommons to turn into rares.

If this would be happening I would love the +4 rarity addition!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

2020: I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 38 people.
I have received 34 gifts.

2021: I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 18 people.
I have received 20 gifts.

I am missing a lot of late '21 and 2022 pets! plz trade i don't bite

____________________________________________________________________________________________

lilyhorse ..................
LilyHorse

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cyrinus » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:47 pm

I am firmly in the camp of adding 4 new rarities to the existing list of rarities. I feel this would give the most accurate breakdown of just how rare certain pets on the website are.
Currently Seeking:
Cobweb Bunny
Cyrinus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spaceinmyhead » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:48 pm

BlossomTail wrote:

I like that!

I do agree that a lot of rarities and what pets are worth would be much easier if we know how the rarities are calculated. For example, while I was MIA for 6+ years, were my OMGSR's counted in the circulation of pets? etc.

I think how its currently done is pretty good. I don't know the actual timeline of it, but I believe that every year Nick "rerolls" the rarities basically, and pets that have been inactive in an account for over a certain amount of time arent counted. But say if that person were to come back online and trade that pet, it would be added back into the math for the next years rarity count. At least that's how Im pretty sure it works

I wish I had like, one brain cell...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
pfp by: @kaisisles
Spaceinmyhead
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffystar » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:49 pm

Spaceinmyhead wrote:
fluffystar wrote:In the graphic displaying what distribution would look like with 4 new rarities, it shows that the most common rarity would be uncommon. This doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain? I'd also like an explanation of how rarities are determined, as someone asked above. My brain doesn't work very well.

Ah so basically, think of each pet as its own thing. Say you have a deer of one type that has 2k of them currently in circulation with the users. That specific pet would be more uncommon than another deer that has 5k in circulation currently. There just happens that there are more pets that have less of them specifically in circulation. Theres not actually more of those specific pets, just more types of them if that makes sense

Thank you! By the way, I support the idea you mentioned. It would be nice if you could click on the rarity of a pet or hover over it to see an estimated number/chart/whatever.
fluffystar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skyweaver » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:49 pm

Thank you for doing this! I appreciate your effort to listen to the community. :) As for my choice, I personally would love the four new rarities!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skyweaver
She/her pronouns
I love horses, dogs, and hamsters:3
"Wait a minute. Wait a minute Doc, are you telling me
you built a time machine out of a DeLorean?"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Click my eggs!
ImageImageImageImage
Skyweaver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loelya » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:49 pm

aaa I just have to come back again and say thank you again!! thank you Nick and Lacuna and staff for listening. this means so much! I also love the idea of a rarity key from Spaceinmyhead. that sounds like it would be so helpful and greatly increase player understanding around rarities!
ImageImage
~ and here you are, continuing on,
despite how hard it's been ~

adult || she/shey/they
"Build-Your-Own" Editables
Loelya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups