We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby lulla‌‌‌‌ ❀ » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:55 pm

SupernaturalJem wrote:If the "OMG" categories are going to be renamed, I think "Legendary" would work well for the "OMG so rare" one. I don't think that would be too confusing. I think it would fit. It was the one whimsical name I liked a lot lol. It really jumped out at me. Disney Speedstorm uses that word for very rare items in their game, so it's not unheard of, I guess.

I don't know about the "OMG so common" tag. Maybe it could just be called "Most Common"? I know that's pretty simplistic, but also makes sense I think.

Also, that star rating image looks fantastic, Pyromaniacal. Adding a star system like that to the rarity tags would ease a lot of confusion, I think.

I agree that if OMG so rare was going to be renamed, I think “Legendary” works the best! It reminds me of the Pokémon system so even ESL speakers who may have grown up with the Pokémon system will have an easier time adjusting to it without too much confusion. I think for OMG so common, I think “too common” could be pretty comedic and light-hearted while also accurately depicting the rarity?

tiredddd wrote:
Pyromaniacal wrote:I really like Panne's edit of my original rarity stars mockup, so I sat down and made a version with the colors proposed by Fellefan! I wasn't liking how the "shiny" bar was looking (it just looked a lot like the SR bar tbh), but thought the rainbow OMGSR was cute and hopefully not too similar to the custom bar...? Who knows.

Light mode ------ Dark mode
ImageImage

I do like the "super duper" name for the new "extremely/super/ultra" tiers, it's rather whimsical in line with tiers like "OMGSC/R". I am in the camp that we should preserve as many existing rarity names as possible - assuming that 4 rarities will be added by the looks of the poll, that's a big enough change already that I would imagine keeping at least some tier names will make the adjustment easier for most people.

What color/ stars would custom pets be then?

I really like this system of stars! I think it’s very aesthetically pleasing and also gets the point across. Only downside though is I do think that the bar-style rarity is pretty iconic to CS and changing it could be making the system more “generic-looking”. Tbh tho I’m open to both keeping the bar-style or going with the more traditional star-system!

I think the Q about custom pets is a good thing to consider. Maybe an unconventional/unpopular opinion but what if the OMGSR/“Legendary” colour becomes black or white in this case? Or black/white for the customs.
Last edited by lulla‌‌‌‌ ❀ on Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i like rhythm games &
visual novels a little too much,
sweet tea enthusiast.
[ eng / 한 / 中文 ]
arttrade

lulla‌‌‌‌ ❀

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blaubär » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:00 pm

By now I just wish we knew, when the bandaid's acutally going to get ripped off. It's entirely my own fault for coming back here to read suggestions and feedback - I kinda can't stay away from it rn, cause it's somehow important to me. ^^ But then, I'm starting to feel really anxious about things. It's like CS is usually this little cozy place on the internet, but rn now it's making me feel uncomfortable in the stomach. Maybe I should just stay away till the update is through. xD
Any chance we can get a rough estimate of the timetable?
Blaubär

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LostInTheEcho » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:02 pm

Really like these stars, though I think the omg so rare would need a different colour (which might need to shift the other colours a bit as well). I prefer the stars with lighter backgrounds over those with dark that someone else proposed.

Just throwing this here as example for bars with dimension of the originals.

First has more muted colours in yellow and cyan as well as a lighter pink that I think distinguishes better (I prefer the first)

In regards to names, I’m partial to ”extremely” being used and all names as on the first page. However, even while being at first against ”super” and ”super duper”, I think that they are fitting in a more ”childlike” way and goes well with the ”OMG so”:s while still being clear on which is worth more than the other.
xxx Image
xxx Image
xxx Image
Pixel gif (bottom) made by Celozon

Lights OFF

LostInTheEcho

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ꭺlina » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:02 pm

SabrinaB wrote:What is wrong with omg so rare of omg so common? I understand that religious people are not thrilled with it, but it only says omg. You can also say "oh my gosh so rare". It doesnt have to stand for.anythjng religious. I acutally like it., because it really points out how rare/common it is.

I think the same and personally don’t like the „super duper“ wording at all. Sounds a bit too childish for me. Plus it doesn’t really points out how rare/common a pet is. Same with the wording super instead of extremely. For me they are too equal. I really hope that there will be another pill for the wording and visualising.
eldemoreFlight RisingGuide Index
✨🎊✨ You have collected every pet ever released!! ✨🎉✨
✨🎊✨ You have collected every item ever released!! ✨🎉✨
Ꭺlina

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Turo0 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:19 pm

I find the filling star markers easy to understand even if struggling with terms. I started cs when I could barely count to 3 in english and understood rarities visually only. I like the idea from Schuyler of using WOW instead of OMG too, as omg was very hard for non english speaker to understand. Wow is a term more people have probably come across of, still similar to respect the omg term and simple. Even though I do like the idea of legendary in place of omgsr too.

Terms like super something are first bit odd being used to the old system, but with this few days of discussing about them they actually start feeling okay. But I wouldn't personally prefer super duber, as I know I would have had trouble understanding that as a kid with very little English skills and dyslexia. Keeping the names simple would mean more kids like me being able to join cs too, as for new players super complicated names xan be hard to understand with no knowledge of the background like this discussion.

Also just the colored bar with a star marker starts to be a bit difficult to understand with so many rarities and colors running out. So I really hope we take something like the filling star version of the bar!
Finnish player 🏳️‍🌈 he/him. My birthday is June 15th!
Currently really looking for these pets for my collection! So consider trading me if you have any of them available!
ImageImage
Turo0

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blaubär » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:29 pm

Personally, I don't like the sound of "Wow so rare". OMG is just such a widely used term, that it even spreads into other languages, being "adopted" like "lol" or "nice" and many other abbreviations and words.
Blaubär

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowKatto » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:11 pm

LostInTheEcho wrote:Really like these stars, though I think the omg so rare would need a different colour (which might need to shift the other colours a bit as well). I prefer the stars with lighter backgrounds over those with dark that someone else proposed.

Just throwing this here as example for bars with dimension of the originals.

First has more muted colours in yellow and cyan as well as a lighter pink that I think distinguishes better (I prefer the first)

I love these!
Additionally, I think “super duper” sounds too childish and dumbed down. Are there any other words that we can use in place of that?
June is Scoliosis Awareness Month! :mrgreen:

Pet's name: Pro-Spr
Pet's name: Kai (海)
Pet's name: Literally me
Happy pride month btw! :3
ShadowKatto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby piepinkpony » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:50 pm

Another point maybe worth thinking about; people really value (in my opinion overvalue) store pets. Now I know that how individual people value pets and overall demand is not something that can be integrated into a general rarity, and I know that all store pets have a C$ label so you know which ones they are.

But it seems to be so ingrained in many players (beyond rarity math for different years or how many uncommon are worth a rare) that store pets are just worth more than other pets from the same year, even the same month and of the same rarity. This completely confuses me?
For example this is taken from the most recent comment in the "is this a fair trade?" post:
a 2019 store pet is worth an 09 rare while a 2020 store pet is worth a 10 rare

That's such a vast difference (also makes any store pet between 2009-2018 untradable in a single rare for rare swap) that I feel it has to be acknowledged in some way in the rarity? I don't know how that should be done as inflating the rarity for store pets seems wrong, and adding rarities just for store pets seems convoluted and would likely make trading them harder.

I hope that adding more categories will help close the gaps between rarities, and maybe make thinks more clear cut?
Would the adjustment to rarities also sort out the "rares list" and whatever an MA is? Because even as an old player (2012) thats still very confusing.
piepinkpony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:29 pm

piepinkpony wrote:[snip]
But it seems to be so ingrained in many players (beyond rarity math for different years or how many uncommon are worth a rare) that store pets are just worth more than other pets from the same year, even the same month and of the same rarity. This completely confuses me?
For example this is taken from the most recent comment in the "is this a fair trade?" post:
a 2019 store pet is worth an 09 rare while a 2020 store pet is worth a 10 rare

That's such a vast difference (also makes any store pet between 2009-2018 untradable in a single rare for rare swap) that I feel it has to be acknowledged in some way in the rarity? I don't know how that should be done as inflating the rarity for store pets seems wrong, and adding rarities just for store pets seems convoluted and would likely make trading them harder.

[snip]

That is entirely up to users to value them like this, it has NOTHING to do with a pet's rarity and thus, nothing to do with the rarity bar. The rarity simple states how many of a pet is on all active user accounts, it does not include how many are in trade groups, how many have been traded recently or how many are on user's wishlists. It doesn't include user based values.

-

Also: Poor "OMG so common", losing its beautiful blue colour in your star mock-ups *cry*
I prefer the current rarity bar over the stars just because of that - even the lowest rarity deserves its colour of the rainbow =)
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arlecchino ♡ » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:41 pm

Arlecchino ♡ wrote:Adding more rarities is likely to cause people (myself included) to quit, as someone who is autistic, it's already had to keep track of the ones that exist.

I'd like to expand on my reasoning here since people decided to instantly shoot it down.

I struggle with numbers and seeing the mass amount of groups makes things all blur together. I already have to shove everything common and under into one group so I don't get lost in my own sorting system.

People already trade as if the lower two rarities aren't different than a common, the addition of more tags just feels like it is appealing to people too into the stats of it all, when they could just like. IDK, show the stats?

It feels like people debate demand more than anything, why wouldn't you just add a tag saying "this typically goes for more/less than the listed value?"

Arlecchino ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me