Artist Applications - CLOSED

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Artist Applications, Staff Changes !

Postby coffee.berry » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:13 pm

Yugi made such nice pets and I hope they have an awesome life <33

hii! i'm aya/vai <3 feel free to shoot me a pm, i don't bite!!
    status: really busy in real life so if i respond late, sorry <3
    © ~ she/her ~ toyhouse
coffee.berry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartz4faye » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:30 pm

Are we required to use the entire palette? /genq
┌─┐

└─┘
x
x
┌────────────┐

Hi, I'm Fleur/Freya!
I have an obsession
with seals. Please give
me more seal pets.

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐
please give me
your seals

└────────────┘
┌─────────┐

└─────────┘
heartz4faye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zeena » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:54 pm

Ivory_Chan wrote:Are we required to use the entire palette? /genq

No you don't have to use the entire palette. It's up to you on how you'd like to use the palette you've chosen from the list. ^^

.....Need help?About Me
Zeena
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Griddle » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:44 pm

Good luck and have fun in your new endeavors, Yugi! Your designs were always very striking and I have enjoyed collecting them. 💖

Oooh my goodness, artist applications! I am gonna spam you guys with like… A Lot of questions lol. I figure it's good to ask everything publicly in case other users have similar questions, but if anyone wants to respond privately, my PMs are open, too!

I am primarily interested in the item artist position. Pets are great but frequent and I have not been very productive lately lol. I know there has been a push to get store items out more regularly, and there's usually a few items for events; how much item work is expected of an official item artist? Per month? Per year? What all does it entail? Is it entirely new items, or are older items ever revamped to fit more pet species?

I know it's stated that being an artist for CS is an unpaid position. (I imagine it would be quite the headache with hiring minors, messing with [international] taxes, etc.) Are artists compensated for their time and effort in other ways? C$ salary? Pets or items? Something I'm not thinking of? Is there a difference in compensation between guest/trial and official artists? 🤔

What's the process for creating items and item sets? Are artists told, specifically, "Make horse armor in x colors/styles for the summer event"? Are they instead given a theme? "The summer event is a ren faire: please make x items/sets that fit the event, due by y." Do artists just make whatever, and it'll be fit into whichever next release suits it? "Oh hey, I made some horse armor for the site!" "Cool cool we have an event in planning that'll gel with that." A mix of the above? (I'm aware there are item and pet suggestion threads, but I haven't browsed them yet. :?)

How do communications and file transfers work? On-site PM? Email? A staff chat like slack or discord?

A question for current or former item artists! Uhm… how lol.

Usually, when I'm working on editing a flat image (a pet base) by adding something onto it (hair), I can add the closer elements on the layers above the flat image (say, the hair falling in front of the face or ear) and the farther elements in layers behind the flat image (long hair falling behind the head and neck.)

That… obviously won't work for items, which are contained on one (1) layer floating above or below the pet. How do you get that clean outline that matches up perfectly with the pet's silhouette for something like long hair? Wrapping around ears? Clothes? I am not very experienced with like, masks and stuff and I suspect those may come in, lol. 🙃

Do you have any other pointers or tips for someone interested in designing items for CS? I tried skimming through the help, suggestion, and art boards for any subject along these lines but didn't see anything recent. 🤷‍♂️

I… think that's it for now! At least, if I had more questions in mind I've temporarily forgotten them. It's very late and I'm tired lol.

Thanks for your time in advance! 👀✨
-
ImageImage
ImageImage
of course I have [NONE] hair and pronouns
queer • grown-up • est
ImageImageImage
🌲SIBLING ALERT!!🌲
Griddle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FleshCanvas » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:03 pm

Chrom wrote:What's the process for creating items and item sets? Are artists told, specifically, "Make horse armor in x colors/styles for the summer event"? Are they instead given a theme? "The summer event is a ren faire: please make x items/sets that fit the event, due by y." Do artists just make whatever, and it'll be fit into whichever next release suits it? "Oh hey, I made some horse armor for the site!" "Cool cool we have an event in planning that'll gel with that." A mix of the above? (I'm aware there are item and pet suggestion threads, but I haven't browsed them yet. :?)

I have this same question but for the pets, are palettes/themes given per litter or is it kind of do it how you want
FleshCanvas
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:09 pm

First of all, I wish you luck, Yugi! Your designs are some of my favorites, they always look so soft and elegant and pleasing to the eyes, and I think my favorite has to be this one. Absolutely stunning design, top tier, truly!! I'll be sad to see you go, and hope whatever you get up to in the future serves you well!

I have a quick question. I apologize if the answer is obvious haha. On the section "Item: Your Choice!", do we draw one item on the pet or can we draw multiple/a set of items? It doesn't say items plural, but the example of items of your choice shows a pair of sunglasses as well as a t-shirt, so I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you!

Postby alecia_rosen » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:21 pm

We will miss you Yugi! I love your artwork and I hope that everything calms down in your life! 💜 ❤️

I have a question. Is there a deadline to apply? I am interested in applying, though between collage, moving, and my job it might take me a few days to design and send it in. Also, is there a particular program that I need to use? I planned on using my MacBook and Adobe programs.
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _14_ people.
I have received _10_ gifts.
I have nuked _1_ people.
I have received _1_ nukes.
I have won _1_ gift wars.
I have lost _0_ gift wars.

Image[/url] url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3158186]Image
Savis: Image
alecia_rosen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zeena » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:00 am

Chrom wrote: I know there has been a push to get store items out more regularly, and there's usually a few items for events; how much item work is expected of an official item artist? Per month? Per year? What all does it entail? Is it entirely new items, or are older items ever revamped to fit more pet species?

It really depends on the position; if you are a guest artist then you're expected to produce a couple sets of items a year. If you are an official artist then you're expected to produce more than that, for example official pet artists would be expected to produce a litter or two each month.
Specifically with items there are certain times more are needed (ex. events) but generally we don't release items every single month (beyond the current jewelry set and releasing exclusive store sets every two months). Besides events/store items it's really based on if anything is planned for that month, but all the specific details of the position will be communicated further with you once accepted.

Chrom wrote: I know it's stated that being an artist for CS is an unpaid position. (I imagine it would be quite the headache with hiring minors, messing with [international] taxes, etc.) Are artists compensated for their time and effort in other ways? C$ salary? Pets or items? Something I'm not thinking of? Is there a difference in compensation between guest/trial and official artists? 🤔
Chrom wrote:How do communications and file transfers work? On-site PM? Email? A staff chat like slack or discord?

This information will be available to you if you are selected. ^^
Please keep in mind the position is unpaid.

Chrom wrote:What's the process for creating items and item sets? Are artists told, specifically, "Make horse armor in x colors/styles for the summer event"? Are they instead given a theme? "The summer event is a ren faire: please make x items/sets that fit the event, due by y." Do artists just make whatever, and it'll be fit into whichever next release suits it? "Oh hey, I made some horse armor for the site!" "Cool cool we have an event in planning that'll gel with that." A mix of the above? (I'm aware there are item and pet suggestion threads, but I haven't browsed them yet. :?)

Most of the time you're given free reign! You'll be told the theme of the event and what you make based on the theme is up to you, this includes your own selection of palettes. For regular monthly litters it's up to you on what you want to create, no themes or palettes will be given so you can do whatever you'd like.
There may be times we need specific items though, as an example for the summer event you may be told we need specific items in order to move the plot forward or for a specific area (ex. trash bins in the carnival event, we needed trash items for that area).

I can't really answer the rest of your questions directed towards artists as I'm not one lol, but all the information regarding the position and how to make items/etc. will be given to you if you are chosen. Don't stress about it just yet, we'll make sure you have everything you need! c:
The item application page does say this though which may help:
"Drawing items requires excellent creativity and drawing skills to shape things around our pets. You can’t redraw or erase the pet underneath, so you need to think carefully about how to cover or blend your item to fit onto the pet’s body. Aim to match our typical lineart and shading style so your items don’t look too out of place."

jay wrote:I have a quick question. I apologize if the answer is obvious haha. On the section "Item: Your Choice!", do we draw one item on the pet or can we draw multiple/a set of items? It doesn't say items plural, but the example of items of your choice shows a pair of sunglasses as well as a t-shirt, so I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you!

You can draw one item or a set, up to you!

alecia_rosen wrote:I have a question. Is there a deadline to apply? I am interested in applying, though between collage, moving, and my job it might take me a few days to design and send it in.

As of now there is no deadline, however apps usually run for a few weeks before they close. Admins will make a post closer to the deadline to let everyone know apps are closing soon so you'll have time to finish up your entry.

.....Need help?About Me
Zeena
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:18 am

Best wishes with your future endeavors, Yugi!

Excited to see who our new artists will be! 👀 I'm very much a passive consumer with no creativity, so every time I see new pets on CS I'm like oooOOOOoooh sparkly eyes :lol:
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby UmbreonLord11 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:15 am

Hate to see our CS artists go, but I'm also happy to be able to apply again!
UmbreonLord11

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me