New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Kovadi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 am

I think this is an excellent example to set for young users in regards to listing their triggers and staying safe. Thank you for this rule change!
NEPTUNE wrote:HELLO THERE!

I am an illustrator & physics student who is obsessed with snakes, aquariums, dragons, and astronomy. I have 4 pet snakes and 2 freshwater tanks currently. I'm generally pretty active for trades, so feel free to send an offer.

On CS for 11 years!

LINKS
ImageImageImageImage

Kovadi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dog of Wax » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 am

I think a lot of people forget this site is meant to be friendly for all ages. Yes, it's not great to meet someone who is a part of or does something you're against. But I agree on the fact that you shouldn't be sharing all the things that upset or trigger you all in one place like in a DNI.

If I come across someone online and find out they're a part of something I don't like, I either leave or block them. It doesn't need to go farther than that. I didn't know users on here had DNI lists in the first place, but to me it's good they're being removed.

Part of being online is having the ability to remove yourself from something if it bothers you or if you don't like it. You don't have to interact with people you don't like! You can leave a space whenever you want but it's up to you personally to manage what you come across online.
Pet's name: The Most Emo Of Horses

I really love the wax dogs of '14. They could be mannequins, but I imagine them as wax!
Always looking to add to my wax museum. :^)
Dog of Wax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ×Seven of Nine× » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:43 am

Oh dear, I hope I haven't said anything ableist accidentally. I probably have internalized ableism because I'm so used to people screaming at me from both the disabled and the abled sides. /Genuine
•she/they
•technogender/agender
•mobile player
Flight rising
•Seven•
×Seven of Nine×

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby W is for Wumbo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:26 am

I’m not really the type to get “triggered” per say, but a lot of dni lists make me pretty uncomfortable. I don’t exactly enjoy being randomly, and somewhat regularly reminded of the existence of criminals who hurt animals/kids. Anyways I doubt the people who advocate for life ruining crimes are likely to respect someones wishes to be left alone, nor would they last very long on cs anyways because the mod team works mega overtime haha. When it comes to things that aren’t inappropriate for cs, would it be against the rules to say something like “please don’t talk to me about X fandom” or “don’t mention X character to me” I think that may be a better alternative to not interacting with someone at all, once again, that is if it’s not against the rules and I’m not sure if it is or not.

I had not been familiar with dni lists until recently, since I have not logged into my twitter account for years, so I’m not aware of how well they work for other sites, but I think it’s pretty safe to say that most of them don’t fit very well here. They almost always mention something that’s at best against the rules, or at worst illegal. A lot of people get comfort from listing the things that make them uncomfortable and I can understand that, but at the same time it can often come at the expense of those who would rather not be reminded of upsetting topics on a family friendly site.

Tldr: I respect your opinion either way, but I think this is probably for the best.
W is for Wumbo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 am

oh that is good. good win. not sure what to think of people in general with those. DNI lists are intersting looks into what it means to be good. or how people work. when it's "DNI if you like mean jokes" or "DNI if you are dating a fictional character I do not like". a good exercise in what it means to be nice, and how to treat people.

house rules. house rules say no DNI lists.
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Purgatory K9 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 am

I just want to add to my last post on this thread that even if I agree with this new rule, everyone’s feelings are valid. I hope that you find other ways to feel safe and comforted on the internet. <3
neurodivergent - adult
xxxKitty's Pound
Purgatory K9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:38 am

wiener dog wrote:When it comes to things that aren’t inappropriate for cs, would it be against the rules to say something like “please don’t talk to me about X fandom” or “don’t mention X character to me” I think that may be a better alternative to not interacting with someone at all, once again, that is if it’s not against the rules and I’m not sure if it is or not.

I'd also like to know this. While I'm very much in favour of the DNI ban, I know that some characters can have triggering topics discussed that some people would prefer to avoid, and that does seem like something worth accomodating. It would likely still be an issue with exposing someone's triggers to the internet, though, so I'm uncertain.
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
◤~ ImageLemon • any • <3! ~ ◥
◣ ~ ImageFeel free to pm :D~ ◢
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:42 am

i'm not sure about the block and be done for things.
imagine if I say I'm going to block you if you are not in love with Kingdom Heart's Axel? that is kind of silly isn't it? or "if you had your first kiss in middleschool don't talk to me" that would be silly.
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ×Seven of Nine× » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:15 am

Lemon Tea Rain wrote:
wiener dog wrote:When it comes to things that aren’t inappropriate for cs, would it be against the rules to say something like “please don’t talk to me about X fandom” or “don’t mention X character to me” I think that may be a better alternative to not interacting with someone at all, once again, that is if it’s not against the rules and I’m not sure if it is or not.

I'd also like to know this. While I'm very much in favour of the DNI ban, I know that some characters can have triggering topics discussed that some people would prefer to avoid, and that does seem like something worth accomodating. It would likely still be an issue with exposing someone's triggers to the internet, though, so I'm uncertain.

I have something on my carrd to not talk to me about a certain show as it displeases me, but if someone did anyway I wouldn't fret that much and just tell them I don't want to talk about it

Edit: I'd like to specify that it does trigger me, but I chose not to use that word here.
Last edited by ×Seven of Nine× on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
•she/they
•technogender/agender
•mobile player
Flight rising
•Seven•
×Seven of Nine×

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby roots. » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:47 am

I think a lot of people here seem to not understand what DNIs are, they are simply a list of groups you ask not to interact with you. (ex: minors DNI) This isn't personal information, nor can it be used to harm you. It's setting a boundary in place to people on the site. Boundaries are important, and not harmful. Having no idea who you're interacting with is pretty scary! So on sites like CS where sharing of personal info is not allowed, at least telling groups of people not to interact is a quick solution. That way, they don't have to share anything about themselves, and if they are nice, they will respect your boundaries. It would only be used to target you if that person specifically is out to harm you, in which case DNI or lack thereof wouldn't do anything, as people who want to harm you will do so regardless of whether you have them on your DNI or not. But it is a helpful tool for those that ARE respectful. For example, if I saw a page saying "CS users DNI" I wouldn't interact, to respect that person and their boundaries. The only time you will come across someone's DNI is if you are actively already trying to harm them, or earnestly trying to follow them. One of these situations the DNI has no affect on, the other it is very useful for. I grew up in the age of internet safety too, but since have found that blindly interacting with anyone is dangerous and uncomfortable.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* fen is typing *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

[lesbian - he/him - autistic]

> jjba, loona, miku
I dont bite :3

"life is surreal, don't let it get to you"

/╲/\╭ºoωoº╮/\/╱\ <- little spider
roots.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes