New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Lacuna » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 pm

The rule is quite simple: if you link to it on CS, it must follow CS rules. This doesn't mean you can't have things separate from CS that don't follow CS rules. Our rules regarding taking offsite actions into account (if and only if we can prove who took those actions) are about if those offsite actions are bullying or harassment toward CS users, not if you are an adult who just exists and does things that break CS rules like swearing, gory art, posting videos of yourself to TikTok, etc. CS is not a social media site, so you don't put personal information on here, and it is a site primarily for children and pixel pet collecting, so you don't need to link to your other presences. I don't think I need to explain or have it come as a surprise that I have a whole life on the internet outside of CS that CS has never seen or heard of because it doesn't follow CS rules.

Also, on the subject of user discussion: I don't really understand what the discussion would do other than provide an illusion of participation. I don't know of any other sites that ever discuss important safety rules with their userbase before implementing them, or frankly any rules/changes at all (which we have done when user input could be helpful). We understood that this rule might upset some people and that there were arguments for and against it, which is why we worked so hard to provide you with a full, nuanced explanation of why it was implemented anyway. We decided that while we know it might not be everyone's favorite rule, it is important and non-negotiable. I understand that CS is a close-knit site, and people might feel closer to the moderators who directly interact with both the site and other users in non-moderation contexts. However, that does not mean that important safety rules should be like... put to a forum poll or something? If we hadn't discussed and evaluated every possible argument or exception we could think of (and I do think we got them all based on the response here, as we've clarified some things but nothing has led to a change in the rule) then there might have been some room for the argument that there could have been more discussion, but that's not the case. I don't really have a good conclusion sentence for this paragraph/post, but I hope this helps clarify things at least a little?
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Lacuna wrote:Also, on the subject of user discussion: I don't really understand what the discussion would do other than provide an illusion of participation. I don't know of any other sites that ever discuss important safety rules with their userbase before implementing them, or frankly any rules/changes at all (which we have done when user input could be helpful).

These were my thoughts as well. This doesn't seem like something that can be discussed the way, say, the equimagine lineart change was. This is a safety update...

It's kinda like how one day, sharing age ranges became no longer allowed, effective immediately, 0 discussion. It was a safety hazard because of how it was being used as a proxy for age, despite ostensibly not revealing age (I remember the days when I was young and I thought I was super slick, too...).

This is the same thing because of what DNI lists usually are, regardless of how people feel about them. Since it's a safety thing first and foremost, staff is just going to go ahead anyway, so a discussion would... actually make it seem like the staff is faking community, tbh
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wildmagic_warrior » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:19 pm

I really agree with this decision. I've been on CS for a long time - 13 years! - and I've seen the internet change a lot since I first started posting. People have become much more comfortable sharing sensitive personal information online in that time. I don't want to sound like an old fogey saying "back in my day," but over the years it's become extremely normalized for younger and younger people to make themselves vulnerable online with complete strangers. DNIs are a symptom of this, and I'm glad that CS is making an effort to protect its users. The staff is not obligated to run everything past the userbase before implementing it.
I'm Wildmagic_warrior,
but you can call me Wild.

Pronouns: he / him

I have a bachelor's degree in Russian Studies. I also love stage management and theater tech! English is my first language, but I also speak Russian and sign ASL.
Wildmagic_warrior

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Michael's Fan. » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:55 pm

cs is a tiny website, where anything against the rules is heavily moderated VERY quickly

i used to advertise trades in the oekaki when i was a little one, oopsies... and those got locked REAL quick. CS mods are awesome, so having dnis for already against-the-rules things is odd. Plus some discuss traumatic stuff which kicks in ptsd... and kids don't need to be exposed to that. and sharing your triggers, and everything about you on carrds while especially being a minor is a HUGEEEEE mistake.

and not wanting to interact with whole fandoms is toxic behavior.

I have never seen a bad post that wasn't taken down in mere MINUTES.
Michael's Fan.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wings.mov » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:04 pm

Having kept my eye on this thread for the past few days, it's interesting to see all the different perspectives on this topic. I never expected DNI lists being banned would be so impactful as I've never really encountered a DNI list on the site.

I'm personally very pleased about this new rule and I think it was the most logical and effective move for the mods to take to keep users safe and help with compliance with previous rules to keep reports from flooding in and also limit any board strikes from misunderstandings. Hopefully as time passes any unrest with the user base will begin to settle down.
x

Hey, I'm Cherry
She/they/anything non masc • Lesbian
I have anxiety and ADHD so remind me if
I forget or take to long on anything <3
I like bees, plants, drawing, minecraft,
terraria, mcyt, GrayFruit(YT), music,
warriors, and my incredible girlfriend

xxxxxxxxxxxxxImage

xxxxxxxxxxFind me here
xxxxxxxxFRTHCS to FR
──────────────────────────
xxxxxx
──────────────────────────

Wings.mov

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skinnedfur » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm

im glad this was implemented, i get on this site to get away from the real world and not have to worry about themes i dont like popping up (ex: triggers, politics, etcs), taking away dni lists take away the thought of said things above. if it isnt said/written, then it isnt thought of, its as simple as that

not to mention how safe this site is, the mods are all amazing people who keep this site running and an enjoyable place to be on, dni lists seemed to be useless when this site is in no way toxic, or even a place where “bad” people get on, and if they do its taken care of almost immediately

xx─── 💀mayhem💀 ───xx

young adult - they/she
*bites*
TH
credit to X

xxx───────────────xxx
skinnedfur

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LordGhoul » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:06 pm

dissy wrote:thats why im liquidating and dipping out. so much drama, so many loopholes, too many specifics to keep up with.

Where though? I don't see that at all. And I've been here for ages, even if I'm mostly a lurker. But the rules are super simple to keep in mind, and it's so easy. A lot is common courtesy. Keep it child friendly, don't swear, no linking to social media, no mentioning your age. Normal internet safety stuff. Easy peasy. I also don't see any drama happening but maybe I have been lurking the wrong threads lol but it's gotten so much better since we got rules against hateful content ages ago. I've been peacefully vibing here for years and collecting pets every month (unless I'm a doofus and forget). Don't get what's that confusing or dramatic about it.

Don't get me wrong, you're allowed to leave, you don't even have to have a reason for leaving. But it's genuinely not as complex and confusing as you make it sound. Compared to social media it's like being in a fun class vs the wild west out there.
LordGhoul

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bee » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:58 pm

this new rule makes sense and i support it 100%, but i feel like something should be implemented to help people who dont want to see certain content. as much as yes, this is a children's site and the safety of minors is the upmost priority, the older users on here that have trauma with certain things should have a way to prevent themselves from seeing it. something like blocked words that will either censor the individual word in a post or censor the entire post (for the individual user, not the whole site), and you can decide if you want to see it or not. sort of the same way twitter does (obviously not the exact same. this is a forum website and twitter is a modern app).

DNI lists are extremely harmful on a children's site and can and will introduce the younger users to things they shouldn't be seeing. but simple things that aren't nsfw and can trigger someone(names, certain words and topics, fandoms, characters) should be able to be blocked, in a way that isn't public, so that individual users can stay safe.

good choice mods! hopefully there'll be a way to help people in the future.
bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Bark » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:05 pm

bee wrote:
        this new rule makes sense and i support it 100%, but i feel like something should be implemented to help people who dont want to see certain content. as much as yes, this is a children's site and the safety of minors is the upmost priority, the older users on here that have trauma with certain things should have a way to prevent themselves from seeing it. something like blocked words that will either censor the individual word in a post or censor the entire post (for the individual user, not the whole site), and you can decide if you want to see it or not. sort of the same way twitter does (obviously not the exact same. this is a forum website and twitter is a modern app).

[snip]

A search for "word blocker" brings up lots of well-reviewed and highly rated word-blocking extensions for chrome and I'm sure there are versions for other browsers!
Lemon Bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Strange_Atoms » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:40 pm

ALL GOOD THINGS FLOW INTO THE CITYImage
Strange_Atoms