Rarity system updated to add 4 new categories!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Rarity system updated to add 4 new categories!

Postby HogNoodle » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:04 pm

I'm genuinely sad to say I don't like the new rarity levels. I don't often comment on forums like this, but after giving it a bit of time to feel things out I wanted to share my thoughts. I feel like too much was added too quickly. Four new rarity levels has reshuffled everything to the point of just being confusing, and I'm getting next to no trades since the change was made. I could see the value in adding one or two more levels to shake things up, but four? It just seems like a lot of confusion for no good reason. The site has become a lot less appealing with how touchy everyone has become. :(
he/him
HogNoodle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aluminumPP » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Can someone explain what the length of the bars mean for the distribution images? It's been a while since I've taken a stats class, but it seems like OMGSC is rarer than ER based on the length of the bars.

In any case, this is a change in the right direction. The extra granularity for lower rarity cards simplifies the trading process for newer players, since new players will likely not have any OMGSRs that people seem to be upset about.
ImageImage
aluminumPP

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ashki » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:20 pm

aluminumPP wrote:Can someone explain what the length of the bars mean for the distribution images? It's been a while since I've taken a stats class, but it seems like OMGSC is rarer than ER based on the length of the bars.

In any case, this is a change in the right direction. The extra granularity for lower rarity cards simplifies the trading process for newer players, since new players will likely not have any OMGSRs that people seem to be upset about.

Hey there! Lacuna explained this pretty well on the recap of the voting thread:

Lacuna wrote:Some people were confused about the math and asked a question similar to "Why are there fewer OMGSC pets than Common?" The answer in the simplest terms is that these graphs show the number of unique pets assigned to each rarity, not how many total instances of an OMGSC or other rarity pet are on the site. If you graphed it to show all duplicate pets, it would look more like a descending diagonal line: \ so really there are more OMGSC pets in existence and fewer of higher rarities.

So while there may be fewer pets categorized as OMGSC rather than OMGSR, there are still many more of those individual OMGSC pets compared to individual OMGSR pets. Hope this helps clarify things!
xxxxx
x
x
x

Hello, I'm Ashki!
PMs are always open ♥

frfttfaqget helphoards

Ashki
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lights.Out » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:24 pm

I personally LOVE this whole change
I do have one question tho (I haven’t been on this site for very long so I’m not the best with some of the little details and processes), why has this messed up trading so much? If that’s a dumb question I apologize, but I’m just not sure why such a simple change would mess up the whole trading system like it has
✧˖°.⁺‧˚ ♡ ˚‧⁺ ✧˖°.
⭒ she/her ⭒
⭒ adult ⭒
⭒ ISTJ ⭒
⭒ aries ⭒
⭒ lioden; Broccoli Purée #414274 ⭒
Lights.Out

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marmoris » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:01 pm

Lights.Out wrote:I personally LOVE this whole change
I do have one question tho (I haven’t been on this site for very long so I’m not the best with some of the little details and processes), why has this messed up trading so much? If that’s a dumb question I apologize, but I’m just not sure why such a simple change would mess up the whole trading system like it has

hm.. it’s honestly kind of hard to explain, but i think it’s that the community has usually always had some sort of guide in place to create fairness within trading; granted, demand exists which can make pets go for much less or more than what they should be worth in the community, but i think it’s that this update has just made people question a lot of what they know about trading. i believe this update proves a lot of pets are also rarer than once thought and that just makes people confused and conflicted.

in the long run i think once everybody has adapted things will settle down and they’ll realize this update has really benefitted most people, but it’s just chaotic and too uncertain for some. of course, the rarity system we all knew got changed up quite a lot, so everybody needs to do a bit of relearning & i think this could end up making more people willing to be more reasonable with trading in general. :lol:

not sure if this will really answer your question, but maybe it’s at least some better insight from a user who has been here for i believe three rarity changes as well as a decade now and has past experience with the current lists & older ones. ^^
i am consistently inactive, i come and go as i please for monthly adopts and events. i rarely respond to trades unless im looking for something.
marmoris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gems101 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:02 pm

kamado. wrote:
PoserPanda wrote:I thought with the new rarity system, trades would become something like this-

Them:
My pet is two stars, please add a two star pet.

You:
I have added a two star pet, our trade is now equal. Thanks for trading.

Not like this-

Them:
My pet is four stars which is basically five stars, so you pay with three store pets. Mine used to be a five star so it counts.

You: Cancelled trade.

------------- end scene ----------

I thought the new rarities were supposed to make things as simple as possible, not make things more vague; based on could, probably, be Very Rare.

also quoting this for accuracy.

ever since the new rarities have been implemented it feels like the user-run trading system has exploded in craziness. i've had more rejected fair trades now than i have ever had in my long tenure with chickensmoothie & that's very disappointing. honestly it's turned me off of trading entirely & i've had to accept that my wishlist is more like an entire list of dreamies & will never be attainable.

i can really only trade with my sibling because i can't trust anyone else to be fair. :/ i don't think the site should ever be that way.

Yep I fully agree with this, just tried trading my VR for a VR within three months of each other. With the new update these two pets should be worth pretty much the same. If the user had a pet preference (cuteness, species etc) I'd understand them cancelling, instead they cancelled because the three month difference meant one pet was a 2009 and the other 2010 (just). How is one suppose to trade if users aren't willing to change with the new rarity system!!!
Gems101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blaubär » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:01 am

I think everyone needs time to adjust. I just came back from two weeks of vacation and was kinda glad I'd be away when the change would come. Just because I thought things would be more settled, when I get back. In fact, I completely forgot about the change and only when I went through my monthly pets today to sort them, I remembered. And yeah, I was confused at first glance - not because anything is really hard to understand, just because it's a lot, especially looking at folders with mixed rarities, which is the case with all my folders, because to me it makes more sense to create groups of litters that belong together. So, I just looked at my collection and at the archive to get an idea of label changes. And I guess that's what most of us need.

One little disappointment was when I realized the new notches don't actually tell me just how common (e.g.) a pet is. All pets of the same rarity have the same notch. So yeah, not sure how helpful that really is. Other than that, I'm happy I can mostly easily distinguish the colors. Only "extremely common" and "very common" are quite similar, but I guess that's not a huge problem on that end of the rarity scale.

Something I'm really thankful for is the little label oversight when trading! I hope it stays. In fact, I'd appreciate if it weren't only visible in sent trades, but when actually making a new one.
Blaubär

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cyrano » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:25 am

Initially, I really supported this update and when it was implemented I was hesitant but after consideration, I am quite thankful for it if progress continues similarly in this way the "list" that has been discontinued will become obsolete and for that I am thankful
used to be: smith(ers) & s-simplicity| toyhou.se | my kalons
Cyrano

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXnO0BysXx » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:32 am

Why are there custom rarity
xXnO0BysXx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ashki » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:12 am

xXnO0BysXx wrote:Why are there custom rarity

You can learn more about custom pets here :) Most often they are a gift given to CS staff as a thank-you for their contributions to CS!
xxxxx
x
x
x

Hello, I'm Ashki!
PMs are always open ♥

frfttfaqget helphoards

Ashki
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist