Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Oekaki Weekly Challenge Board: Your thoughts (tick all that apply)

I don't use or visit the oekaki boards at all
7%
I use or browse the oekaki sometimes, but I never go to the weekly challenge board
12%
I sometimes browse or draw in the weekly challenge board
13%
I try to use the weekly challenge board every week
2%
I like the weekly challenge board the way it is and don't think it should change
4%
I think we need longer than 1 week to submit entries for the weekly challenge
8%
It would be good if some of the old weekly challenges were used again so that we could do the ones we missed
14%
It would be good if we could submit weekly challenge ideas
21%
It would be good if the weekly challenge is announced at the top of the forum each week to remind us to check it
20%

Total votes : 2912

Re: Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Postby Pear » Sat May 03, 2014 11:54 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
Yes
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
Nope, but I've thought about it.
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
I think that is a good time limit.
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:'
Yes, it would not only give people the chance to do the ones they missed, but the people who have already done them can redo them and see if they've improved.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?:
I think they're fine. Interesting. c:
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
I honestly don't really like the oekaki's limited art tools. So that alone makes me less likely to use it in the first place. c: I also don't have a lot of time, so when I get free time, I end up doing other things.
Pear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Porcelaine » Sat May 03, 2014 11:58 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)
Yes.

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?
No.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
For art, I find for myself a week is a little too short, perhaps a week and a half?

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
I would like to see an option, or maybe an archive or sub-forum where members can draw old weekly challenges but still have new ones. That way people can draw the previous challenges, and those who want new ones can draw them.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
I like them, but perhaps do something CS related/holiday themed, etc? Or encourage artists to test out different styles, or draw specific scenery. (Maybe draw your character with a Chickensmoothie)

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
I don't have enough time usually, and am still having problems with Oekaki when it comes to my tablet so I'm not a big fan of it.
[list]Adopt a Newbie - Newbie Guide & Index - Need Help? -Get to know me - Characters

Hi there lovie, I'm Porcelaine
I'm always open to friendly folk, feel free to send me a hello!

The Adopt a Newbie program is constantly looking for volunteers to apply to help guide a new member!

I'm not as active as other members, my replies may take a while. Thank you for your patience!

Kindness is no virtue, but a common duty.
Porcelaine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cerestes » Sat May 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Yes

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
No

I think each challenge should last a month; that would be 12 challenges a year and enough time for people who only have internet access on the weekends.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
YES! Over time, more people will get to enjoy each "experience".

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
Excellent choices! I don't think any challenge is silly.

I don't have time, even though I would love to join in every week!
ImageImageImage
Cerestes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wesley » Sat May 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Yes (love them!)
    Yes, I've done two.
    I think it's too short. I usually don't have time during weekdays, and I feel stressed on the weekends if I don't finish in time. I think at least 2 weeks would be great, but no longer than a month. c:
    Yes, I do.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
    I've loved all of the challenge ideas so far. <3
    N/A
Wesley
she/they genderqueer demisexual lesbian

ART FIGHT || FLIGHT RISING

Hello, my name is Wesley & I have a Juris Doctor!
I collect crystals/minerals, Build a Bears, & stickers.
I am also interested in dinosaurs, Glass Animals, Animal Crossing, Pokemon,
various anime shows, magic, and writing/character collecting!
My birthday is August 8th!
I'm a non-theistic eclectic witch. ♥

Image Image Image Image

Art to left by lemonlotte
Wesley

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZombiePoodle » Sat May 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Yes, many, many times!
    Absolutely. I've used it 11 times; not nearly enough in my opinion!
    I think this depends on who is drawing and how much time they themselves have to put aside. Personally, I do not often have such time to put away, though I've had times where I have finished the challenge and times where I have not. Again, it seems to narrow down to personal time and if someone can/is willing to put it aside for the challenge.
    I'm torn, because while I would like a longer limit to give me extra to complete a challenge that I previously did not have time for, I also love the one week limit, because I wouldn't want to wait any longer in my excitement and anticipation to hear what the next challenge is!
    All in all, if you decided to change the limit, I believe that I would prefer something longer, two or three weeks rather than just one.
    Of course! There are times when I missed a challenge that I really wanted to try, and would adore second or third chances. There are also challenges that I have already tried, that I wouldn't mind doing over again for fun!
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?:
    I cannot describe how much I have adored the challenge prompts so far! They have been specific, while leaving an opening for creative thinking and artistic justice. There have been many times that I have wished to contribute to the challenge board because of the ideas that the prompts create!
ZombiePoodle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nadine » Sat May 03, 2014 12:48 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3):
Yes, I have, it actually was one of the first drawing programs I used and had blossomed my love of digital art.
I haven't yet, but I do plan on it, as well as posting a couple of the older ones I planned on doing.
I think the time limit is sufficient, but if it were to be extended, I honestly couldn't see needing more than two weeks total.
Yes, of course, as well as introducing new themes to help artists branch out from their usual styles.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
I think they're great to help introduce yourself as a person and as an artist.
It's not that I don't want to use the weekly challenge board, I do, but with my tablet on the fritz and being busy with many things, I don't always have the time to get around to drawing for the challenges, but I do take the time to do some of them in my free time traditionally with a pencil and paper.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

~Courageous~
discord: @captainnadine

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
cs rules | get help | free pets
dA | trades | about me

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
she/they isfj dog lover
hello, nadine here
i'm an artist who enjoys music
and other great things in life
feel free to pm me anytime!

🐉 🦌 🐼 🦠 💛
.✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*.
Nadine
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dragon Reine » Sat May 03, 2014 1:23 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)
Yes, I have. c:

Yup. But I have only posted there one time, unfortunately.

I think extending it one week extra at least would give people a better chance to join the challenge.
There have been a few challenges that I just haven't had the time to do.

Definitely. There are a couple that I wanted to try, but never got around to doing it.
I don't think the old themes should be re-used too often, though.

Most of the themes I have liked so far. <: Especially the "design a character inspired by the current season".
I would actually enter that one if given the chance again. ^-^

I do visit the challenge boards, but have never posted much there because I just never seemed to get the muse
to draw at the right time. And I'm not going to lie, I planned to at least try every challenge, but I got lazy with it.
┎━━━━━━━━━┒
▆▆▆ † ▆▆
┖━━━━━━━━━┚
LOST IN THE
YOU CRASH
━ ━into mycoast
IM WAITING FOR
your━ ━ ━━ ━ ━━
xImage
to wash away
━━━━━━━━━
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
━━━━━━━━━
━ ━
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▒▒
▒▒
░░
░░
---
ImageImage
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
and are there any━━━━
xxImage
━━━━━━ ━━━ ━ ━━━
text
text
text
text
text
text

━━━ ━━━━━━ ━━━ ━
Dragon Reine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WolfWhisperer » Sat May 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Tess, I really do feel that the weekly challenge is a great way for people to improve their art and try out something they may have never thought of doing. Maybe getting the weekly challenge more advertised would probably help the board grow a little. And I find myself looking at most of the oekaki boards and I think that it would be great to get it advertised more. I'd hate for the boards to go.
WolfWhisperer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaan » Sat May 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Yes, many!

Yes, I have, and I think I posted about 2 drawings!

I think it's the perfect amount of time. I mean, the oekaki challenge place is not a place for masterpieces, it's just a place to share your own mind in drawings and share them with other people!

Yes, but I think the users that already did that should have a separate theme, but I don't know if it's possible to have two themes though.

I really like them!
The users get very creative with them, and I've seen very inspiring ones so far.
exo - tempo
Kaan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RainbowCharizard » Sat May 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Yes! ^-^
    Only once for now. I plan to more in the summer... because I don't have much time to get on and do art in general..
    Hmm, I think a week is good, though I do know many artists who put more detail into their work. Perhaps a week and a half or two would be nice. I would also like to try putting some more detail in my art when I get the chance.
    A couple, sure! Just don't do it too often. Mix it up with old and new themes. Maybe you guys could have polls to see what the next theme should be.
    They're pretty cool, relatable for most people! I like them. ^.^
    Well, I've used it once, so I dunno if that counts too much as using it. I pop in sometimes though... XD
    But anyway... I just don't have as much time as I used to... I really would like to get on there more.
    Maybe a news reminder on the front page with the new theme would help... if I was really interested.. I guess I would try it.
    x

vv▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴɪɴɢ ᴄʜᴀʀᴍɪɴɢ!)▬▬▬▬
╔═══════════════════╗xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
placeholder textxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
placeholder textxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
deviantARTYouTubexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
extra link herexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
╚═══════════════════╝xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxImage
xxxxxxxxImage
xxxxxImage
vv▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬