Rarity system updated to add 4 new categories!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Rarity system updated to add 4 new categories!

Postby Demberant » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:43 pm

I dont know if it belongs here, but can I suggest to make the orange bar a bit darker orange? It looks very similar to the yellow and on first glance Its hard to tell them apart. I know there is an accessible option but it looks a bit boring and I think I'm still too stupid to keep track of the difference.
Thanks in advance!
Demberant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tiredddd » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:29 am

Lunarsnow wrote:
tiredddd wrote:while I understand this, with the updated rarities they are the same rarity. One isn't 30 times more common than the other because then it would be a different rarity? Two OMGSR should be the same rarity and the rest of the worth is date and demand.

They're the same rarity, yes, but within a tier some pets are inevitably going to be closer to the edge than others which technically makes them worth more/less than others within the same rarity. Especially as far as the community is concerned. You're going to be hard pressed to find someone who considers a pet that just recently went from ER to OMGSR the same value as an OMGSR that's been that way for years once pets start moving through the new tiers.
The unique issue with OMGSR is that it's the highest tier so, hypothetically, there could be an OMGSR pet that is many many times more rare than other OMGSR pets simply because there isn't any higher tier for it to be in. If, say, the minimum threshold for a pet being OMGSR is 1 pet for every 500 users that means a pet that's 1 for every 5000 is also OMGSR but significantly rarer than the other OMGSRs that are closer to the 1 in 500 threshold (this is just random numbers of course). I have no idea if there's any OMGSRs that are actually like tens of times rarer than the others, but there are certainly some that simply are less numerous than others and therefore rarer by a certain degree.

Like, I'm thinking most people are assuming most if not all of the newly OMGSR pets are closer to ER (less rare) than all the ones that were already OMGSR before the update when that may or may not actually be the case with the new inactive account qualifications in the mix.

The visual helps me understand, thank you. I still think that there’s really no way to tell though since cs doesn’t release the actual numbers and what we think could be totally opposite than reality but where do we draw the line? Every rarity has this issue though it’s more prevalent and only really discussed with omgsr, we could make the tiers infinitely specific and there would still be this issue. It’s really up to us to change the way we trade

xxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxx
xxxx
Heyyyy, I'm Scrap
tiredddd

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arazia » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:13 am

Big changes like these make me wish that there was an ability to sort your pet folders/pet groups by rarity.
That way, we can find all the lets that changed rarities and put them into their new, appropriate folders/pet groups without spending hours sorting through hundreds of pages of pets.
Arazia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ashki » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:15 am

Arazia wrote:Big changes like these make me wish that there was an ability to sort your pet folders/pet groups by rarity.
That way, we can find all the lets that changed rarities and put them into their new, appropriate folders/pet groups without spending hours sorting through hundreds of pages of pets.

This Firefox/Chrome browser extension is a great help for that!
xxxxx
x
x
x

Hello, I'm Ashki!
PMs are always open ♥

frfttfaqget helphoards

Ashki
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arazia » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:22 am

Ashki wrote:
Arazia wrote:Big changes like these make me wish that there was an ability to sort your pet folders/pet groups by rarity.

This Firefox/Chrome browser extension is a great help for that!

Thanks, that was helpful!
Arazia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tanybrid » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:05 am

tiredddd wrote:
Lunarsnow wrote:
tiredddd wrote:while I understand this, with the updated rarities they are the same rarity. One isn't 30 times more common than the other because then it would be a different rarity? Two OMGSR should be the same rarity and the rest of the worth is date and demand.

They're the same rarity, yes, but within a tier some pets are inevitably going to be closer to the edge than others which technically makes them worth more/less than others within the same rarity. Especially as far as the community is concerned. You're going to be hard pressed to find someone who considers a pet that just recently went from ER to OMGSR the same value as an OMGSR that's been that way for years once pets start moving through the new tiers.
The unique issue with OMGSR is that it's the highest tier so, hypothetically, there could be an OMGSR pet that is many many times more rare than other OMGSR pets simply because there isn't any higher tier for it to be in. If, say, the minimum threshold for a pet being OMGSR is 1 pet for every 500 users that means a pet that's 1 for every 5000 is also OMGSR but significantly rarer than the other OMGSRs that are closer to the 1 in 500 threshold (this is just random numbers of course). I have no idea if there's any OMGSRs that are actually like tens of times rarer than the others, but there are certainly some that simply are less numerous than others and therefore rarer by a certain degree.

Like, I'm thinking most people are assuming most if not all of the newly OMGSR pets are closer to ER (less rare) than all the ones that were already OMGSR before the update when that may or may not actually be the case with the new inactive account qualifications in the mix.

The visual helps me understand, thank you. I still think that there’s really no way to tell though since cs doesn’t release the actual numbers and what we think could be totally opposite than reality but where do we draw the line? Every rarity has this issue though it’s more prevalent and only really discussed with omgsr, we could make the tiers infinitely specific and there would still be this issue. It’s really up to us to change the way we trade

We do not have the same issue with every rarity because e.g. ER starts where VR ends, and ends where OMGSR starts. OMGSR and OMGSC are the only ones where we would not know the beginning (OMGSC) or end (OMGSR).
Therefore I've been asking whether we can get information about the OMGSR tier (not numbers) and IF there is a huge difference (compared to the other tiers) to think about adjusting the OMGSR tier.
Tanybrid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby everlore » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:22 pm

Hi! I'm sure this has already been asked but there are way too many words for my simple brain. basically one question: is date factored into how the rarities were assigned? is a 2022 OMGSC worth the same as a 2014 OMGSC? I had the same question with the old rarity system, but I'm not sure if that was factored in or not, but regardless people valued older dates higher. Also! I have found that I have a lot of pets that are worth more than I thought they were? Example: Red X dog and the UR Kirin. Are they worth the same now? Or will they still go for different values? Now I feel like I need to relearn everything I know about rarity haha.
. ゜✫・life is beautiful but you don't have a clue・✫・゜.
everlore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lulla‌‌‌‌ ❀ » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:03 pm

everlore wrote:Hi! I'm sure this has already been asked but there are way too many words for my simple brain. basically one question: is date factored into how the rarities were assigned? is a 2022 OMGSC worth the same as a 2014 OMGSC? I had the same question with the old rarity system, but I'm not sure if that was factored in or not, but regardless people valued older dates higher. Also! I have found that I have a lot of pets that are worth more than I thought they were? Example: Red X dog and the UR Kirin. Are they worth the same now? Or will they still go for different values? Now I feel like I need to relearn everything I know about rarity haha.

Not a mod or anything but from a logical standpoint, I do think that dates are for sure factored into the rarity to some extent, but not because “older date = more valuable” but it’s more about “older date = less players = less of a certain pet being owned). So rarities is probably just using the amount of pets owned by people as the reference point.

As one of the mod posts said on the original thread about the change, the trading system is created by the players and there is no “official” trading guide by chickensmoothie themselves, and they simply only moderate the behaviour around trading and not the actual trades themselves (outside of like obvious scams or suspicious behaviour or something). So to get a clear answer on is 2014 OMSC worth the same as 2022 OMGSC will be based on how the players want to perceive and revamp the trading system after this change.

Now for my theory, I think the original system worked first based on the quantity of existing pets based on that existing year, then any rarity bumps is just from a significance in passing time (the result of more players and not being able to get older pets again). Using easy numbers for simplicity, let’s say in 2014 there were 1000 pets total, and 600 of those pets were repeating, so it gets categorized as an OMSC in that year. In 2022, total of 10,000 pets, and 6,000 of those pets are repeating, so those become OMSC in that year. Before the rarity revamp, I think most of these pets were just kept as the same rarity generally speaking because they were categorized in that year based on the statistic of the year the pet was in, and any significant bump in rarity would be just from the amount of new players joining the game. I think though now with the new system, they factor in the new amount of players so I don’t see any really old OMGSCs anymore?? I’m wondering if they even still exist?? I feel like in a trading perspective though an older pet, even is OMGSC will still be worth more as their potential to get more valuable will increase with each passing year, which is why older pets are always gonna be in more value even if their current rarity doesn’t reflect that (it’s more about the potential to increase, that is valued in trades)

I tried to figure out the system for the past like 30 minutes so I can explain why I think this, but it’s really hard to put into numbers and I’m not good at math so hopefully a staff or someone with good understanding of statistics can answer this with more detail TT

tldr though I think older pets are always gonna be valued more by players regardless of what their rarity bar says because the valuable part of older pets is their future potential to increase in rarity.
Last edited by lulla‌‌‌‌ ❀ on Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i like rhythm games &
visual novels a little too much,
sweet tea enthusiast.
[ eng / 한 / 中文 ]
arttrade

lulla‌‌‌‌ ❀

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marmoris » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:06 pm

everlore wrote:Hi! I'm sure this has already been asked but there are way too many words for my simple brain. basically one question: is date factored into how the rarities were assigned? is a 2022 OMGSC worth the same as a 2014 OMGSC? I had the same question with the old rarity system, but I'm not sure if that was factored in or not, but regardless people valued older dates higher. Also! I have found that I have a lot of pets that are worth more than I thought they were? Example: Red X dog and the UR Kirin. Are they worth the same now? Or will they still go for different values? Now I feel like I need to relearn everything I know about rarity haha.

as far as i know, date has never been accounted for in rarity, though somebody may correct me if this is wrong? so no, a 2016 common would not be equal to one of say 2023. this is what has always been assumed at least, by trading standards?

and as for if the UR kirin & x dog are worth the same now, no, they would not be. i think this is what is currently being discussed and possibly dividing for the CS community right now though, how to value NEW omgsr pets vs ones that were already omgsr.

i actually can understand why people keep suggesting tiers within tiers, to deal with this problem on more of a numerical scale, not taking demand into count, but as i have said before i do think adding anything more would be an extremely bad idea. having as many rarities as now is nice to keep things more evenly spread & i think thats great, but adding anything else would complicate the issue more.
i am consistently inactive, i come and go as i please for monthly adopts and events. i rarely respond to trades unless im looking for something.
marmoris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Silverpelt~ » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:17 pm

I so wish the original colours of the rarity’s stayed on the same rarity’s…

Rare now being red is tripping me up heaps and others are too 😥
~Silverpelt~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me