We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby Dawulf » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:24 am

Would it be possible instead to add a second bar for demand? If the number of pets can be tracked, would there be a way to track how often those pets wind up in a trade?
Image Image
Dawulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby far » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:35 am

Dawulf wrote:Would it be possible instead to add a second bar for demand? If the number of pets can be tracked, would there be a way to track how often those pets wind up in a trade?

I like this idea, but I think the bar should be based on how many people have that pet on their Wishlist!
far

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ButterflyChaser » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:36 am

At first this seemed amusing, but then I figure why not have the 4 categories?

I like to match rarity when trading, so this may be helpful.
Looking for: Halloween 2019 pets. I have tokens but missed the trade in times due to no internet access the end of October.
ButterflyChaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheOakWoods » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 am

i support adding more categories, as long as we get general numbers (ex. “an extremely common pet is one per five players)
otherwise 2:1 trades are going to be messed up as the gaps between rarities are smaller and people don’t know what they really are, letting the players know rough numbers lets them know a general trading ratio
TheOakWoods

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LavenderRain » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 am

Dawulf wrote:Would it be possible instead to add a second bar for demand? If the number of pets can be tracked, would there be a way to track how often those pets wind up in a trade?

The problem with demand is that it's extremely personal, it can vastly change with each and ever person. And tracking trades wouldn't necessarily show demand, between a majority of list related trades ending up cancelled, offsite trading, and auction trading. It might work to some degree, but I feel like adding another thing to be considered atop of year, rarity, species, and line-edits is not a good idea personally ^^'
Adult ▪ Female ▪ Married ▪ Image▪ Christian ▪ Sept. 14th ▪ Artist
Toyhouse DeviantArt DA Adopts CS Adopts

Completed my entire wishlist on 2/5/2024! :D

LavenderRain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lex. » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:47 am

LavenderRain wrote:

The problem with demand is that it's extremely personal, it can vastly change with each and ever person. And tracking trades wouldn't necessarily show demand, between a majority of list related trades ending up cancelled, offsite trading, and auction trading. It might work to some degree, but I feel like adding another thing to be considered atop of year, rarity, species, and line-edits is not a good idea personally ^^'

Have to agree, demand is a personal decision made on top of existing values.

TheOakWoods wrote:i support adding more categories, as long as we get general numbers (ex. “an extremely common pet is one per five players)
otherwise 2:1 trades are going to be messed up as the gaps between rarities are smaller and people don’t know what they really are, letting the players know rough numbers lets them know a general trading ratio

And this! I'd love to have those numbers updated and released every month, just so that those who are curious in the nature of the cs economy can study it. But in general it would help greatly with trading.

xx
lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    What you gonna do when you get out of jail?
    I'm gonna have some fun
    What do you consider fun?
    fun, natural fun

I'm in heaven
    With my boyfriend, my laughing boyfriend
    There's no beginning and there is no end
    Time isn't present in that dimension

-;; tom tom club

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby musicgurl333 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:48 am

TheOakWoods wrote:i support adding more categories, as long as we get general numbers (ex. “an extremely common pet is one per five players)

I support the new rarities regardless, but I do think this would be helpful info as people recalibrate how they trade. Ratios could later be adjusted as needed, but it would at least be a good starting point to have an idea of the difference between rarities.

As far as the “2:1 trades” those are already pretty messed up in my opinion, especially when you get into big year gaps, but even between rarities…not many people are going to trade a rare away for 4 commons. I’m reeeeeally hoping that this new system begins the downfall of the “2:1 rule” which is a pet peeve of mine.

I’m not sure how that would work. More common pets would be traded more often, because there are simply more of them. The rarest pets would show very little “demand”, because they get traded less often.

I think pets on people’s WL (as someone else suggested) is a BETTER metric, but I still think that having two bars is just too complicated. Honestly, I’m a pretty experienced trader and MY head is spinning just thinking about that! :shock: I think it would make trading very inaccessible to new or more casual players.
musicgurl333

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby racoonie2004 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:10 am

I love this idea!! Im not sure how it would work trying to make things fair but it sounds interesting!!

but also I wanted to point out that the extremely common and maybe even extremely uncommon feel like a lot at once especially for the uncommon and lower rarities. not sure if others agree with this one but I notice anything common and lower is generally just bunched together and not usually distinguished amongst themselves during trading. I do really like the very uncommon and extremely rare ideas though!!
Mascot
Pet's name: Racoony
Always interested in trades!!
racoonie2004

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cursedpest » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:21 am

if we end up with 4 new rarities, which ithink most people are really on board with., i think it would be imperative to add a sorting system to pets. It will result in people having to sift through 100+ pages of pets to reorganize if this happens. I also think there should be icons added to represent if it from a event or limited, which one it is separately. i think thatd be cool. or sorting option for that
cursedpest

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pallastronomy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:35 am

I’m all for the rarity overhaul and am very glad for it honestly but. Staring at my 100+ groups all organized by species and rarity. Staring at the fact I’m almost definitely going to need to reorganize everything, create several new groups, and rename almost every existing one when the new category/categories drop. The part of me that loves organizing my pets bc hehe sorting things go brrrr is shaking with excitement but I’m also dreading it just because of how long it’s going to take
My TFO LabMy Magistream ScrollMy Protochroma Profile

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageMeowdy!ImageImage
ImageImageYou can call me Azure, Celeste, Elijah, or Koshka, and I’m an artist, animator, writer, and government certified moron. Feel free to drop in and say hi! I don't bite!ImageImage

Signature decor by Martith, Crasty-For-Life, King-Lulu-Deer, mairu-doggy, stardust-palace, RenIrako, Drawn-Mario, and peachkonpeito on DeviantArt! Go check em' out!
Pallastronomy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me