We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby Papilio Ulysses » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:09 am

Pizzamuffin wrote:I completely agree with this! A lot of trading issues I've noticed aren't necessarily centered around the rarity of a pet, but the demand. It really just depends on how much value the community puts on a pet rather than its actual worth.

This is something that I've come across many times as well. It's especially true of Rare, Very Rare, and OMGSR pets. Species like Zebras, Rats, and Butterfly Wolves seldom trade for their full value at the higher rarities because of below-average demand. Some other species trade for way more than their objective worth. While not ideal, it's also something inherent in a trading environment. Some pets are inevitably more popular and desired to collect than others which in turn affects their availability in the "market". I'm not certain if any change to the rarity tag structure can alter that trend. However, I think the change options proposed here will affect the Uncommon-Rare trading scene the most, which is still needed and helpful.

I think adding just two new rarities should be considered: Very Uncommon and Extremely Rare.
** Tʜᴇ Eɴᴄʜᴀɴᴛɪɴɢ Sᴀɴᴄᴛᴜᴀʀʏ **

Bye bye, little butterfly~
-----------------Image-----------------
Papilio Ulysses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby floppa » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:16 am

just going to make it freakishly and unnecessarily more difficult rarity system huh rather then just improving what exists. knew the 4 new rarities would be most voted for before voting myself... typical... seeing less and less of a desire to continue interest in participating in the game site with this among other unfavorable results from past outcomes, adapting to an environment thats continously lost desirability to continue interaction vs just being at peace that its been downhill for a long while and quitting addiction is equally difficult tho there is the realization that if it no longer emits/evokes the value of fun then that is to be heeded and listened to no matter the difficulty in achieving it. will see if it really impacts as insanely as i expect regardless 🤷
floppa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ScabraCadabra » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:22 am

Yes please. Add FOUR new rarities.
I'm a player since 2010 and I think that trading pets Here is a pain.

I also warmly recommend to think about giving "real" rarities to store pets, depending on how often they we're sold. They should Not be uncommon though, but maybe have a range from very uncommon to omgsr.
My current Dream Pets:
Image Image
ScabraCadabra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabidcoyote » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:23 am

I really LOVE the idea of new rarities but I also can't see why the # of pets on active accounts isn't accessible, I recall the existence of the stats being mentioned when the inaccurate rares list was being taken down but I've missed why it's still hidden :(? I feel like it would make changing the rarity system secondary or even unnecessary and it would definitely make trading rarer pets incredibly easier. Was an official statement ever created on why it's being kept secret?

x
𝕒 𝕘𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕕 𝕠𝕗 𝕊𝕒𝕥𝕒𝕟 𝕙𝕚𝕞𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕗

they/them or it/its
hopeless sudoku conoisseur, historical ed teach enthusiast, relentless snake booper

Suggestion: Bring back CS contests

rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby babypunkrat » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:34 am

floppa wrote:just going to make it freakishly and unnecessarily more difficult rarity system huh rather then just improving what exists. knew the 4 new rarities would be most voted for before voting myself... typical... seeing less and less of a desire to continue interest in participating in the game site with this among other unfavorable results from past outcomes, adapting to an environment thats continously lost desirability to continue interaction vs just being at peace that its been downhill for a long while and quitting addiction is equally difficult tho there is the realization that if it no longer emits/evokes the value of fun then that is to be heeded and listened to no matter the difficulty in achieving it. will see if it really impacts as insanely as i expect regardless 🤷

nice to know i'm not the only one feeling this way. i see people saying that adding 4 new rarities will make things less confusing but it's the complete opposite to me.
she/her ✰ adult ✰ (L)GBT
i'm a dog mom, gamer, and aspiring artist/photographer! (:

ImageImageImageImage

collecting pps pets & all dogs (check wl)!
2010 - 2023 litter swap thread
my adoption center
babypunkrat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 8catpaws » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:44 am

I'd love to see item rarities added to the archives and trades, not necessarily in the dressup interface. The increase of the volume of types of pets since the age of site necessitates more categories. OMGSR and VR have lost their meaning to some degree because there are too many pets in those categories. I agree 4 new are more confusing, BUT in the long run for the health of the site this is important to take into consideration. Anything new is confusing, but if you imagine how many thousands of pets there are and will be added in the future, the existing categories are too broad to be useful.

I've been here since early 2011, seen the birth of the summer event, and watched the site explode with users over the years. The increased volume of moving pets makes this a necessary evil. I agree it makes things more complicated, but if we want CS to continue to be a fun and fair environment, it has to start here. Most new pets should be common to OMGSC, but because of the lack of categories, they end up rarer than they are in reality. It may seem to only affect the UC and above categories, but I'd argue this is rectify the modern issue over the last 4-5 years of pets being super common but not labeled as such.
Last edited by 8catpaws on Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flags for every country I've visited!
8catpaws

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lex. » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:50 am

8catpaws wrote:I'd love to see item rarities added to the archives and trades, not necessarily in the dressup interface.

Item rarities was a suggestion that was decline I think, because of the fact that items don't have their own IDs as opposed to pets, and probably something else I forgot.

@rabidcoyote
I'm not sure what you are referring to exactly, but I think an actual rarity breakdown/guide from Nick about the stats and numbers of these rarities along with the update would be extremely useful. Even if it's a basic breakdown, getting to be familiar with the availability of pets let's you know if you really need to overpay for something or if you are being taken advantage of.
Yes, people can trade how they want [value-wise anyway] but it's still important to be able to educate yourself, but currently there is no way to see what pets are actually rarer than others. The new bars will help, but hoping for some #'s too :3c

xx
lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    What you gonna do when you get out of jail?
    I'm gonna have some fun
    What do you consider fun?
    fun, natural fun

I'm in heaven
    With my boyfriend, my laughing boyfriend
    There's no beginning and there is no end
    Time isn't present in that dimension

-;; tom tom club

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Electric~Lime~Zebra » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:50 am

Papilio Ulysses wrote:
Pizzamuffin wrote:I completely agree with this! A lot of trading issues I've noticed aren't necessarily centered around the rarity of a pet, but the demand. It really just depends on how much value the community puts on a pet rather lost.
its actual worth.

This is something that I've come across many times as well. It's especially true of Rare, Very Rare, and OMGSR pets. Species like Zebras, Rats, and Butterfly Wolves seldom trade for their full value at the higher rarities because of below-average demand. Some other species trade for way more than their objective worth. While not ideal, it's also something inherent in a trading environment. Some pets are inevitably more popular and desired to collect than others which in turn affects their availability in the "market". I'm not certain if any change to the rarity tag structure can alter that trend. However, I think the change options proposed here will affect the Uncommon-Rare trading scene the most, which is still needed and helpful.

I think adding just two new rarities should be considered: Very Uncommon and Extremely Rare.

I support this I personally feel like there needs more specification between the uncommon and rares because there's quite a few rares that are harder to obtain than others and the same goes for uncommon. I feel like this makes more sense to the actual rarity and trading values than the 4 options, personally.
.......Image
I was born to run, I don't belong to anyone
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
FR | Trade | link | link | ©
can't bite the devil on my tongue

She/her | Adult

CIS/IT degree
I'm a mom now
PM for any helpful links/tips
Looking for mass wl swaps

Electric~Lime~Zebra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bubblegumjello » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:01 am

re-distribution or adding 4 tiers are both good options. i think have a simple, 7-tier system is great but there is such a large gap between rares (ex: 2023 rare and 2008 rare). its the same thing that happened with uc’s before the 2019 rarity change.

i will be honest, the 4 extra tiers sound a little clunky though so i, personally, am super torn. it seems at the moment a lot of users like the idea of the extra tiers.

perhaps another suggestion could be redistribution and adding the “extremely rare” tier. im sure there are a lot better suggestions in this thread than mine. regardless i am excited for the outcome
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxme:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx☆ she/her ☆adult Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxanime & games Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcurrent:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx☆ game: fortnite Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ☆ one piece! corazon Image
cs:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
☆ goal: complete collection Image
tradesoffsite trades Image
☆ favorite species: bunny Image
☆ cs discord Image
☆ pixels credit here Image
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bubblegumjello

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minecraft » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:10 am

I think seeing any of these options implemented will be really handy for active traders!

But aaaalso... confusing for the high percentage of players who just want to collect pets, but already feel overwhelmed by the rarities system- thus avoid trading at all.

We all know the pets that aren't being categorised as accurately as they could be right now are almost all rares. I'm not fussed however this goes, but I worry for the players who just want to trade rarity for rarity for fun who are going to get lost with all the clutter we're going to end up with.

Image hi, im minecraft!!! Image

i like weird stories, silly ocs and making things!!
please give me time to think when trading!
click the flags for songs i like :3

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
minecraft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me