Fennec Foxes - update for the 2009/2010 Shima Fennecs

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Fennec Foxes - update for the 2009/2010 Shima Fennecs

Postby Autumn Rain » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:57 am

I have been quoted above.

Again, I understand that certain artists' styles appeal to certain people. That's pretty normal, and really, every artist knows to expect their art will be judged by standards that each individual has, and not necessarily for the quality of their overall work. I still can't imagine creating something for a group of people who then begin telling me all the reasons why it isn't what they wanted, and how someone else's work was better. That's really it.

It's not that having an opinion is bad. Sometimes expressing it without thought is, though, you know? You don't HAVE to tell someone that their dress clashes horribly with their skin tone ;P Especially if telling her that will change nothing except to make her feel bad about herself.

In this case, the old foxes aren't coming back. It's unfortunate, but... well, yeah.
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marina. » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:59 am

Autumn Rain wrote:I have been quoted above.

Again, I understand that certain artists' styles appeal to certain people. That's pretty normal, and really, every artist knows to expect their art will be judged by standards that each individual has, and not necessarily for the quality of their overall work. I still can't imagine creating something for a group of people who then begin telling me all the reasons why it isn't what they wanted, and how someone else's work was better. That's really it.

It's not that having an opinion is bad. Sometimes expressing it without thought is, though, you know? You don't HAVE to tell someone that their dress clashes horribly with their skin tone ;P Especially if telling her that will change nothing except to make her feel bad about herself.

In this case, the old foxes aren't coming back. It's unfortunate, but... well, yeah.

It was only the 2nd stage, right? I don't understand why they couldn't just replace the 2nd stage
marina.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gothic knight » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:04 am

S k i t t l e s wrote:
Autumn Rain wrote:I have been quoted above.

It was only the 2nd stage, right? I don't understand why they couldn't just replace the 2nd stage

i'm fairly certain all the stages were traced. regardless, they couldn't just replace the 2nd stage. the styles of the linearts wouldn't fit together.
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
┌───────────────────────┐

call me fhey
i don't know what to put here
currently very obsessed with fnaf and ff14 raiding
x
ultimate legend btw

trades | fflogs | husband | ©
x

└───────────────────────┘
┌─┐

└─┘
gothic knight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Rick Sanchez~ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:08 am

I could understand taking offense if it was their first time doing art for the site, but I dont think they will take as much offense to it as people seem to think. Lawliet, who did the new lines, did a few dog litters and some tess cat colorings in '09. I myself favor and own the tess cat everyone refers to as "scourge". I know that they are colorings but its still art. Tess cats are some of the most coveted pets on cs. Point is I highly doubt these artists take as much offense to the comments as much as you lovers of the new lines do.
Free pets! First come first serve
~Rick Sanchez~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumn Rain » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:12 am

@ S k i t t l e s, Accepting artwork from someone who is known to have misused intellectual property is a professional step backwards, especially on a website so heavily reliant on artwork.

@The Mad Hatter, I am not a "lover of the new lines." I don't have a preference one way or the other. I think they're both good quality works. But, speaking as an artist, I can tell you that it is upsetting to hear that your work is found lacking, especially when you made it for the person judging it so critically. :[
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Rick Sanchez~ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:24 am

Autumn Rain wrote:@ S k i t t l e s, Accepting artwork from someone who is known to have misused intellectual property is a professional step backwards, especially on a website so heavily reliant on artwork.

@The Mad Hatter, I am not a "lover of the new lines." I don't have a preference one way or the other. I think they're both good quality works. But, speaking as an artist, I can tell you that it is upsetting to hear that your work is found lacking, especially when you made it for the person judging it so critically. :[

But thats just it, it wasnt made for anyone. Its main reason for existence is because it had to be. The whole reason we are even having this conversation is because something was traced and therefore we had to make something different. It was a complete gamble on the artists part. As the shimas were some of the more popular lines, all of the artists must have known it would be a hit in miss, knew they would proba ly be compared to shimas version. They HAD to have known this woupd happen. There is no way they would be so naive as to people not accepting the change.
~Rick Sanchez~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumn Rain » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:30 am

You're absolutely right -- every artist that enters into this kind of inadvertent competition knows they're not going to make everyone happy. That isn't the goal. The goal is the make something people enjoy.

I can expect to be slapped in the face all day long. Doesn't mean it isn't going to hurt when it happens.

Artists do have feelings, and it's good to be considerate. If you don't want to be considerate, that's fine -- it's your choice. But that's all I was saying.
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gothic knight » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:31 am

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Autumn Rain wrote:@ S k i t t l e s, Accepting artwork from someone who is known to have misused intellectual property is a professional step backwards, especially on a website so heavily reliant on artwork.

But thats just it, it wasnt made for anyone. Its main reason for existence is because it had to be. The whole reason we are even having this conversation is because something was traced and therefore we had to make something different. It was a complete gamble on the artists part. As the shimas were some of the more popular lines, all of the artists must have known it would be a hit in miss, knew they would proba ly be compared to shimas version. They HAD to have known this woupd happen. There is no way they would be so naive as to people not accepting the change.

of course they knew that. it still doesn't excuse being downright disrespectful to the artist.
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
┌───────────────────────┐

call me fhey
i don't know what to put here
currently very obsessed with fnaf and ff14 raiding
x
ultimate legend btw

trades | fflogs | husband | ©
x

└───────────────────────┘
┌─┐

└─┘
gothic knight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Rick Sanchez~ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:42 am

khal wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:

of course they knew that. it still doesn't excuse being downright disrespectful to the artist.

No ones being "downright disrespectful" people are only saying what they dislike about the new lines. They are not hating on the artist themselves or even their overall work. Its just this specific line is not what a lot of people like to see.
~Rick Sanchez~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~sekii♥rei~ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:43 am

Autumn Rain wrote:You're absolutely right -- every artist that enters into this kind of inadvertent competition knows they're not going to make everyone happy. That isn't the goal. The goal is the make something people enjoy.

I can expect to be slapped in the face all day long. Doesn't mean it isn't going to hurt when it happens.

Artists do have feelings, and it's good to be considerate. If you don't want to be considerate, that's fine -- it's your choice. But that's all I was saying.

But this is basically a discussion thread for what people think. Everyone has their opinions and you said that artists know they're not going to make everyone happy. Then they know that the people who are unhappy will voice those feelings.

As an artist myself,I would WANT to know if people were unhappy. That would give me room to improve in the future. That would give me reason to think again next time I'd do a similar thing. No one here is being inconsiderate, most people here are simply stating that they could have done something better. They're giving constructive feedback and saying "This is could, but you could have done this as well/instead." Now there are a few who do sound rude about it but some people just aren't good with words.

Everyone has an opinion, everyone has a right to voice said opinion. This is now a thread to speak what you think on what they think about the foxes as everybody has done. Just because someone says something slightly negative about this specific re-make of Shima's foxes, does NOT mean they are being inconsiderate or rude to the artist who did them. I DO like the foxes, and I do love their art, but I do not like this particular design now on this line-art because it's not really the design it was originally. They could have just simply added a tuft to the head and a curled tail - not hard when it's one line-art for four pets. After all, they did very extreme modifications for last month's foxes and even for Halloween, why not for four that many users held so dearly? I do still hold them just as close as they used to be to me either way though. But me saying this does NOT mean I am hating on the artist or being inconsiderate. Just think of it as a criticism. That's all.
hi im a dog artist

art-for-pets shop!Trade Thread ♥️
~sekii♥rei~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me