Fennec Foxes - update for the 2009/2010 Shima Fennecs

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Fennec Foxes - update for the 2009/2010 Shima Fennecs

Postby Lunarsnow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 am

Sno Leopard wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:Wait...the adults werent traced? Then why did those need changed? With equimagine at least the second and the adults were traced. But if only the second stage was traced,why not chamge those? its not like there are any second stage pps shimas....heck why not just throw it out?

Like I said, it would be awkward to change just a single stage. That also is mixing linearts up, which I've never seen CS do before. There might be other reasons as well, I'm not an admin who knows everything.

Yeah the linearts match the site's style now and changing one stage would've been jarring. Plus if they just changed or removed the one stage we wouldn't have the fennecs we have now at all.

Another reason is that it's kind of a punishment. The artist drew those lines, but traced one of the stages so now they don't get any of their lineart on the site because they broke the rules. The other pets that shima made are fine because they're on the site's linearts, but the foxes were drawn by them but they let the staff down by claiming a traced work as their own.
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zacharie1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:36 am

I just saw my foxes today...

My soul just broke xnx

Just gonna go sob in the corner for a bit...

Zacharie1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alice Liddell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Zacharie wrote:I just saw my foxes today...

My soul just broke xnx

Just gonna go sob in the corner for a bit...

-Pats- I felt the same way =/
If I had a world of my own,
everything would be nonsense.

Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't.

And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Alice Liddell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Claire101 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:24 pm

Fennec Foxes are so cute <3 They've been my personal favorite animal for years.
Claire101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Azariel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:49 am

Aw sad to hear :-((( they were really cute too.
I do mostly dupe trades. Feel free to send me one anytime! If I have more than one, I'm willing to trade it ^u^
Azariel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ParaKitty » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:37 pm

When were the text added to the Shima Birthday fox?

Hello there c:
Capricorn sun & moon
Physically & mentally tired
Have a good day ♥

ParaKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:07 am

ParaKitty wrote:When were the text added to the Shima Birthday fox?

It was re-added on November 28th
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 pm

I just don't understand why at bare minimum, they didn't try to add the missing qualities that the old fennecs had. The hair is gone, the tail is too small, the ears are not cocked sideways like they should be, and subtle colorings and textures are off. I might even overlook the overall differences to the anatomy as well (photographers do not own the anatomy of an animal just by taking a photo of it. Only the exact tracing was the issue.). We still should get something with a better resemblance to Shima's Fennecs. Its only four foxes that need a few fixes if you really don't want to do separate lineart.

Tess please help! :( It really bothers me seeing the fennecs handled the way they were. It almost felt like little effort was done for what some people really cared for. :(
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumn Rain » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:43 am

WASSAP wrote:I just don't understand why at bare minimum, they didn't try to add the missing qualities that the old fennecs had. The hair is gone, the tail is too small, the ears are not cocked sideways like they should be, and subtle colorings and textures are off. I might even overlook the overall differences to the anatomy as well (photographers do not own the anatomy of an animal just by taking a photo of it. Only the exact tracing was the issue.). We still should get something with a better resemblance to Shima's Fennecs. Its only four foxes that need a few fixes if you really don't want to do separate lineart.

Tess please help! :( It really bothers me seeing the fennecs handled the way they were. It almost felt like little effort was done for what some people really cared for. :(

Probably shouldn't insult someone's art when they worked very hard for this site.

And no, heavily referencing a photograph (which is considered a type of artwork) without crediting the photographer breaks copyright law. You can't copyright anatomy, but you CAN copyright photographs, because you are essentially taking the idea (which is what makes the photo unique). If you want a professional site, you need original artwork. Taking someone else's is potential for a lawsuit.
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:09 am

Autumn Rain wrote:Probably shouldn't insult someone's art when they worked very hard for this site.

Insult? I am providing feedback on a pet that I love and you are calling it an insult? No.. Just no... I am not going to kiss the artist's feet and only praise art. Especially a pet I cared alot for. The fact is there are real issues with the translation of the pet. See all that I wrote above. It does feel off by all the differences noted above and that sentiment is echoed by others. I still consider the new fennecs very cute and admirable. Its just those four fennecs do not work doing a straight design transfer. That could also be considered insulting to the original artist...

Autumn Rain wrote:And no, heavily referencing a photograph (which is considered a type of artwork) without crediting the photographer breaks copyright law. You can't copyright anatomy, but you CAN copyright photographs, because you are essentially taking the idea (which is what makes the photo unique). If you want a professional site, you need original artwork. Taking someone else's is potential for a lawsuit.

After doing a quick check on copyright laws, you are in fact wrong on copyrighting of ideas. You can't even copyright a pose with a drawing or photo either. It is only when the image can be proven to be "substantially similar" by a jury do you have a case. I never said anywhere that we should keep the lineart (which had evidence of straight up tracing). Only that the pose could simply be adjusted so it does not infringe on the photographers rights. However even with tracing, a jury may see enough difference to declare its not substantially similar since all the other contents of the photo are left out. But the adult image would be needed to verify that. So its better to change it. But not much is needed to keep the pet in the green.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups