An "Advanced" board has been added to the oekaki!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: An "Advanced" board is being added to the Oekaki soon!

Postby annakins19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:58 am

It's a good idea!
Pet's name: Nebula
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
ANNAKINS19 QUEEN OF RANDOM SMILEY FACES! :)

I HAVE A PICKLE, YOU ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY??????
RING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING!!!
annakins19

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tinydoodles » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:26 am

The Last Raven wrote:This is a great idea! It'll be something for me to work toward!
I have a question though, will all the pre-change art stay in the categories they were originally posted in?

Only the most recent art will be changed, but the other art will stay in place.
Code: Select all
                                              *                                 *
          *     __                   *
   *        ,db'                                                *                     *
          ,d8/        *                                               *
          `db\            *                               *
            `o`_                    *                                              *
                                  _                ___       _.--.
          *                       \`.|\..----...-'`   `-._.-'_.-'`
                *                 /  ' `         ,       __.--'
       *                          )/' _/     \   `-_,   /
                                  `-'" `"\_  ,_.-;_.-\_ ',
//---\/---------__--/-------\\-------- _.-'_./----{_.' ; /----\//--v-----//---\/---------__--/-----
                                     {_.-``-'         {_/

tinydoodles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SplashofOrangeJuice » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 am

tinydoodles wrote:
The Last Raven wrote:This is a great idea! It'll be something for me to work toward!
I have a question though, will all the pre-change art stay in the categories they were originally posted in?

Only the most recent art will be changed, but the other art will stay in place.

This isn't necessarily true. I have a work from early 2011 that was moved to the Advanced board, and then one from earlier this year(May).
So to answer the question, oekaki's that were made before the addition of the Advanced board may still be moved. Mods are(were? I am unsure if they have finished) going through the boards/galleries and moving pieces they see fit. If you're asking because you don't want something moved that got moved, I'm sure you could send in a help ticket and the oekaki mods(or anyone else with that power) will put it back for you. (:
╔══════════════╗

░░░░░░░ ❚❚ ► ░░░░░░

kota // artist
🌵just your average art nerd🌵

my gallery.
my tumblr,

message me

*tumblr sometimes nsfw

╚══════════════╝
SplashofOrangeJuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FenFen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:39 pm

its times like this where i wish i could do online drawigs
Image Image
FenFen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PumpkinP » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:27 am

I'm not sure what to think about the Advanced board, I myself and new-ish and already I'm feeling like my art isn't good, I did my first digital drawing and even though I think it's not as good as it could be I was hoping I would have at least 2 comments from different people but it seems to be getting ignored. I'm sure many beginners feel like this. So being in the beginners whilst there are two higher ranks doesn't help at all, it just makes you feel even lower down. Also I'm one of those people who isn't sure how good there art is. I'm too shy to post in advanced in case people say that my art isn't good enough in there, I'm sure some other people will feel the same.
While on the other hand I think this will be much better for people who are in between beginners and intermediate and help them get more recognition. So I'm not really sure what to think :)

Now that I've had a proper look around I think this is a really good idea, it's easier to find different type of art styles and makes the oekaki boards less full. (By that I mean less jumbled up.)
Last edited by PumpkinP on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She is my candle,
Lighting me up,
Just like a Pumpkin glow,

Hey I'm PumpkinP, feel free to call my Pumpkin, or even Pumpkin Pie. Since I've always known I've lived with cats but I never knew that when my cat Leo died I could be so sad. Now I have Pumpkin, a rescue cat, who lit me up like a candle. I also live with my puppy Friday (who Pumpkin isn't so keen on) and my mum. I live in England and hope one day to be a writer and work for cats protection part time. Feel free to PM me I don't bite :)

ImageImageImage

PumpkinP

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby buii » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 am

Awesome! :D
~
~
dreamies <33

grinners 2/6
buii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXFoxfaceToastXx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 pm

EmberWolf wrote:Can't say I'm too thrilled about this, especially that everyone's art is now going to be following guidelines that, like you even said, are not always followed with certain styles and can cause for a lot of confusion. I almost find it insulting to certain artists. It's categorizing people's art skills and it has the potential to hurt some feelings. It should be a friendly art community where people can post their art and get some recognition, not feel like they aren't as good as other people because they don't follow specific guidelines predetermined by what others think is "attractive results."

Opinions on what is and isn't "attractive results" vary greatly. Hugely. I already think that the oekaki board shouldn't have two levels and should be equal- which works just fine in the other oekaki boards- instead of split. It just makes more artists feel they aren't good enough, and I know that all of us who have ever called ourselves artists have probably felt a time where we weren't at the level we should be when it comes to drawing, and that feeling sucks. This just helps amplify that feeling for those who don't make it to advanced or intermediate.

I for one do not approve of this change, not that I can do anything about it- it sounds like it's going through whether the community agrees or not. That's just my opinion on the matter.

I agree with this.
"I am merely ancient beast
wanting only for my time to rest
and though dragons may envy my size
I am jealous of the beetle's eyes."
xXFoxfaceToastXx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cherry » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:44 pm

xXFoxfaceToastXx wrote:
EmberWolf wrote:Can't say I'm too thrilled about this, especially that everyone's art is now going to be following guidelines that, like you even said, are not always followed with certain styles and can cause for a lot of confusion. I almost find it insulting to certain artists. It's categorizing people's art skills and it has the potential to hurt some feelings. It should be a friendly art community where people can post their art and get some recognition, not feel like they aren't as good as other people because they don't follow specific guidelines predetermined by what others think is "attractive results."

Opinions on what is and isn't "attractive results" vary greatly. Hugely. I already think that the oekaki board shouldn't have two levels and should be equal- which works just fine in the other oekaki boards- instead of split. It just makes more artists feel they aren't good enough, and I know that all of us who have ever called ourselves artists have probably felt a time where we weren't at the level we should be when it comes to drawing, and that feeling sucks. This just helps amplify that feeling for those who don't make it to advanced or intermediate.

I for one do not approve of this change, not that I can do anything about it- it sounds like it's going through whether the community agrees or not. That's just my opinion on the matter.

I agree with this.

This post happens to maybe cover what you guys are saying. I really hope it isn't offensive, I re-read it and spent about 2 hours writing different drafts when I first wrote it earlier in the topic.
I added bold so you could see my main points and how I feel it is relevant to your discussion.
Of course, if anyone doesn't feel the way I do, that's fine. I'm not saying it's not, (I'm adding this a precaution) and that you can't feel that way. If you don't agree, tell me why! It'd be nice to see both sides. ^^
Cherry wrote:I'm not really sure how this new board offends people as often as it has. It seems to me this is a good thing.
I've seen people complain about "how rude this is" or how "art is subjective." Yes, it is, but you can tell when someone is good enough to be considered intermediate (no matter how cartoony they make their cat drawing) because they understand Oekaki well, add details that beginner artists don't even see, and even just portray their subject with an artistic mind. Beginners don't have that.
But some are starting to (or do, but may lack a skill such as shading or good understanding of Oekaki or something) but since the qualifications are much or somewhat lower, they can now get in. I think that that's a good thing!
And if you really think that it's challenging how good you are at drawing, challenge yourself and get better! (I need to take my own advice, haha.;))

Advanced art is to make a place for art that tends to outshine the real intermediate art, so now you can see the real 'middle artists'! (Who are those who need critique and comments and likes more than the advanced do. [Of course, it's fine to congratulate an artist who made it! And if you'd rather post there, that's fine. ^^])

I think some people -I have no one in mind particularly, so please don't get offended- feel threatened by the advanced category, because they feel like their work is good but that the CS staff doesn't feel that way, or prefers art that is "better" and has a bias against them, either for no reason at all, or they were moved from one category to a lower one.
That isn't really the case. If you're in between, you're in between, which isn't bad at all. You're growing!
If you're insulted by the change you most likely feel bad for others, feel insulted that intermediate isn't considered best anymore which makes you suddenly blah, or you think you're better than you really are, and that could be why your art was moved. I doubt anyone is the last one, though. I know that was really blunt, so sorry.
Really, if you're posting in intermediate for more views, you're going to be the one with a big head. It's okay to think you're good at something, but remember why you're posting in intermediate, because you feel you're good enough, or because you feel like more views.

Or, maybe, (and I can sympathize with this and I'm sure it is the main viewpoint) is that you've been working hard and see an improvement in your art and think you should belong in intermediate, but the guidelines don't think so -or someone in the comments doesn't, which is worse- but now, think of this as your chance! A big break!

Do you do Oekaki for you, or potential fans? Critique, or compliments? If you're doing it for fame or adoring fans, then... Take a break, and look through the advanced section. Don't they deserve to be in there? Aren't they amazing?
If you do art for the way it itself makes you feel -and not all of the 'wows!' you're getting- then [b]you are a real artist[/b]. (Yes, beginners, that includes you. [Please note I'm a beginner as well.])
And every single real artist deserves in there too. It only takes time. So if you want to make it, break a lead!
(Did you see what I did there?)

There's a good post two posts that also covers this subject, let me find them.

Bovidae wrote:...
The categories are not in place to degrade artists
If your ego is not extremely inflated you should be able to tell if your art belongs in intermediate or beginners or whatever
The beginner boards are great actually! You can show off your skills and PRACTICE without having to be overwhelmed by a ton of art that is better than yours. I said it, yes, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ART THAT IS BETTER THAN YOURS AND THAT'S OKAY!!! You should use that fact as a tool to improve. Don't just sit around feeling sorry for yourself. That's not cool you guys.

So if you're offended by these boards please step back and remember that there will always be better artists than you; there is no need to be discouraged by this. Use this as a learning experience!

SplashofOrangeJuice wrote:...
I also read the first few pages, and I see where some users are comming from with the negative view of this change. The thing is, I even view my art negatively at times, even my good pieces. I am always flustered when I receive a lot of votes, and features always surprise me. Some of you would say I am a good artist, others are impressed by my work. I think whats important though is your own view of your art.
Yes support for your art is great, and some people need that to feel like they are good. I know I'm one of those people. I strive off of the opinions of others. This really isn't to degrade anyone though, its to better even the art boards and get more art /seen/. If you are unhappy about your art - do something about it.
Practice to improve. I do all the time, and my gallery is (sometimes) a reflection of that. (I admit I have many doodles.) Just be artistic on your own where you qualify so your art can be noticed more. If a beginner's piece is placed among the advanced, it wont hardly get noticed. This is a good change, and even if you disagree, thats okay.
Evaluate yourself though, and place your art where you feel comfortable. A lot of my art is in sketches because that's where I feel safe - I challenge you to find your safe zone, and stop fighting this adjustment. <3 everyone is and can be good in their own ways and their own eyes, even in the eyes if others. You just have to aspire for it. ★ <3
Cherry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simplistic Beauty » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Sweet! I don't use the Oekaki very often as I find pencil and paper easier but I might try working on my internet drawings. I'm sure this will be helpful to members who do use the drawing boards often.

My name is Simplistic Beauty.
Just a girl who enjoys
the simpler things in life
and a heart for adventure.
I'm always open to talking
to new people so don't be afraid
to send me a pm and have a nice day!

Simplistic Beauty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery