COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

What is your opinion on releasing rare pets in monthly releases?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:59 am

I am not interested in any litters having significantly harder to achieve outcomes.
10%
I am interested in a few litters a year that have a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
41%
I am interested in at least one litter a month that has a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
30%
I am only interested in occasional significantly harder to achieve outcomes if they are considered “special release” pets and look different from the litter they are released with.
19%

Total votes : 5954

Re: COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Postby Mirenoch » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:04 pm

Gotta say no on this one, unless its something like the zebras where its a special release pet and not counted towards that month's completion at all.
I feel the trading scene is still too wild, even with the rarity adjustments - it can be seen in the monthly swap threads every time there is an outcome that it seems a higher number of people have missed, suddenly theres offers of CS and overpay left and right. I just don't see how feeding 'demand' with more rare + outcomes is going to help the situation any. Yes some lucky newbies might get the rare outcome and be able to swap it but most people will not and rich players will just throw around overpay to get the outcome like usual.

Edit - After reading all the comments over the past few days, I'm changing my vote to"not interested in any litters having significantly harder to achieve outcomes." Greed and overpay isn't exciting or engaging gameplay to me.
Last edited by Mirenoch on Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mirenoch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Extra Edgy Otter » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:05 pm

Outside of the Pound and sending large masses of commons, I found it difficult when I first joined in 2017 to build any amount of valuable pets. Having the occasional chance for Very Uncommon/Rares would be great, as the only way to really have any rares the first month you join (outside of Pound) is hope there's an event.

Littlest Pet Shop, Furby, MCYT, and animatronic enthusiast!

ImageImageImageImage

lyrics by The Mountain Goats, blinkies by me
Extra Edgy Otter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShyGhost » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:05 pm

Support! I think having rares mixed in with a few litters a year will help players obtain higher value pets without having to only resort to store and dec. 18 pets.
On the autism spectrum :)

Pet's name: Haku ❤️
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
ShyGhost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ebony Stardust » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:07 pm

I voted for the "only a few per year" option. I still don't have the golden capsule dog from 2021, but occasional rare outcomes are a neat surprise ^_^
I certainly wouldn't want there to be too many of these, though. That could quickly get overwhelming unless kept in moderation

Edit: I'd suggest about 2-4 a year
Last edited by Ebony Stardust on Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Hello! You may call me Ebony
-I am a casual artist
-I am always open to trades (my trade thread)
-Formerly: Darkstorm-The-Wolf (eek '~')
-Remember, support, and pray for Israel

Need Clicks: ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ebony Stardust

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iHolli » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:08 pm

{ support! as others have said I think this will make it a little more feasible for new players to get older rares, since at least in my experience "regular" monthly rares are considered more valuable than event rares. also I just think it's fun when a pet is rare suddenly in monthlies-- as long as they're not super rare. more like last year's October rats, that was a lot of fun XD ♡
    { edit: I DO think this needs to be kept in moderation. definitely no more than one per month, and I think just one every couple of months would be fine too. multiples every month I would not support bc that's going to be rough on collectors and new players alike, imo, not to mention that could just oversaturate the site with rares. if that makes sense 🤔
    { edit 2: I absolutely ONLY support this happening for rares. nothing above rare. the August pps situation was hell and that only made everyone hostile when it happened. a casual rare now and then spices things up without making it utterly impossible to trade at all; if the idea here is to add more May Lioness & August pps scenarios I won't support it. I think adding more monthly rares would [over time] help with the insane demand push for things that just turn out uncommon etc, but throwing very and extremely rares into the mix is only going to drive people further away because those are absolutely not feasible to trade for with the way things are rn.
Last edited by iHolli on Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
iHolli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spacekkng » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:09 pm

As someone who is trying to complete every month & event set, it would be a little disheartening to have to chase a rare from multiple litters every month, but I wouldn't hate it! It'd give me something fun to do. I do however think that one rare outcome every month wouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

I do wonder how it would affect the monthly swap forums.

Overall, I support it 100%, I just have lots of thoughts.

╔═══════════════════════════╗
♛. Discord .Art Shop ♛
♛ DeviantArtToyHouse ♛
╚═══════════════════════════╝

"Never be cruel. Never be cowardly.
Hate is always foolish. Love is always wise.
Always try to be nice, but never fail to be
kind" -The 12th Doctor
Married to Zamello
PMs are always open.

✦ Obsessed with Space ✦
✦ Adult Player ✦
✦ Cat Person ✦
✦ Graphic Design Freelancer ✦
Spacekkng

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Xiao_Jian » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:13 pm

Not a fan of this idea.
If I'm reading between the lines, it's an attempt to help fix the trading system and/or continue to avoid releasing pet numbers.
Going by past rare releases, we're going to see people pay 2009 Rares, old store pets, etc for brand new rares.
Making this happen more often seems like a bad idea, it doesn't fix anything and just enforces the ridiculous problems with rarity vs demand and other nonsense that CS trading is.
Unfortunately I'm going to say no.
Xiao_Jian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AlexBlu » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:16 pm

For me, personally, I don't even try to get them, (too much stress tbh) I'm straight out ignoring they exist on the archives because there's no way I'll be able to get them. Extremely disheartening. I stopped trying to do a full collect after the second one because I have too many irl things to worry about.

I could see this as a help the newbies thing and support only 1 a year of this, but I'm still much more worried about the "delete pet" button more and am hoping a decision is made on that soon. That makes it harder on new players, too.
~Alex Blu~
Come check out my stuff in the forums or on Twitter or Instagram!

https://willowtherainfawn.carrd.co/

WARNING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: (though neither real nor fake account are linked/publicly shared) I have someone impersonating me on telegram. PLEASE be wary
AlexBlu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Somniferum » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:19 pm

Maybe I'm overestimating how common this is but doesn't this already happen a few times each year? Personally as a completionist with limited time I think it being anymore common than that would take it from fun to frustrating, but I do support continuing it at that frequency (1-3 times per yr). Or doing it more consistently if it isn't already being done that much.

I would strongly prefer that they only be slightly harder to achieve though. Considering what's happened with prior outcomes of this nature, having it be significantly harder to achieve would just make trading for it a nightmare rather than a challenge. These pets frequently end up being treated as high demand with people expecting you to drastically overpay for them, sometimes that improves over time but for some (like the examples cited in the OP) it doesn't.

Somni ☆ He/Him ☆ Adult ☆ Chaotic Sleepy
Father of 2 cats, 2 dogs, 6 snakes, 7 spiders, and 3 cockroach colonies

Trade with me!Get Free Pets!
See my CS pets!See my UMAs!
Find me elsewhere
Somniferum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skylark » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:34 pm

For me, my answer depends.
    If it's something as rare as like the Aug PPS or July Lioness (so, more like VR off the bat?): about a few times a year.
    If it's a litter with a slightly harder-to-get rare outcome: I'm fine with something like that more frequently.
skylark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me