Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Oekaki Weekly Challenge Board: Your thoughts (tick all that apply)

I don't use or visit the oekaki boards at all
7%
I use or browse the oekaki sometimes, but I never go to the weekly challenge board
12%
I sometimes browse or draw in the weekly challenge board
13%
I try to use the weekly challenge board every week
2%
I like the weekly challenge board the way it is and don't think it should change
4%
I think we need longer than 1 week to submit entries for the weekly challenge
8%
It would be good if some of the old weekly challenges were used again so that we could do the ones we missed
14%
It would be good if we could submit weekly challenge ideas
21%
It would be good if the weekly challenge is announced at the top of the forum each week to remind us to check it
20%

Total votes : 2912

Re: Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Postby Toriguel » Fri May 02, 2014 7:40 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)
Yes.
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
No / Never.
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
I think 1 week is fine, but some people are a bit slow when drawing so I think 2 weeks would not be too much for them.
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
Why not :) I remember there were interesting themes (only green, for example), it could be nice to see what you may see if it's not for St. Patrick's day.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
They were great themes :)
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
I guess it's mainly a lack of motivation and drawing mood. I already considered joining the challenge a few times, but I also have other drawings and things to do first, so it's not really my priority.
~ ~ ~
French
~ ~ ~
Toyhou.se

Toriguel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby A Random Moustache » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)

Yes

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:

Yes and only two times :3

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:

I think its enough time.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:

I guess that could be good for new users. But for old users, maybe not because they may not like repetitive themes.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)

Simple and creative ideas. (Too bad I suck at drawing >.>)

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:

I use it c:
FR wrote:
A Random Moustache

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vazchu » Fri May 02, 2014 9:16 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?
      Yes of course. I might not be as active as some, but still, whenever I've something to show I post it once it's finished.

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?
      Yes, I've done it once. The one with which one's your favourite season.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?
      For me, it's much too short. I feel like I can't finish a decent picture for it in one week as well as having time to create other things (not just drawings, you see, I create in more ways than one, and some aren't even close to drawing)... And even though I've run across some challenges that I feel like "Omg, I wanna do it!" - I still haven't... Because I know that I won't be able to finish a picture in time and don't want to make a half-finished thing that I leave to rot away in the previous challenge-part later on... And I don't want to upload just mere sketches either, even though I at times believe that my sketches are better than my finished drawings.

As for how long I think it should be... I've to say at least two weeks... Maybe a month, but then again, those who actually draw faster than me or don't have as many other things to do might think it's boring to wait that long. So it's hard to say...

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?
      Yes, I do, but don't do it right away... Let at least a couple of months, perhaps a half year, pass by before they're re-used again.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
      I think that most of them has "forced" those who take part in it to really use their creativity and... Well.. Let's say have their mind exercise and try drawing things they haven't done before - perhaps not even dared to draw either.
      Though, since I'm one of those who are a tad older than what most here are, I can admit that some of the themes as been a bit of a "lol" for me and perhaps a tad too childish at times. But no matter, lol. It's amusing to see what others draw based on those themes nonetheless.

It feels like I've already partly answered this question already... (Sorry, I didn't read all the questions before I started to reply, my bad)
      Well, I'm (as mentioned), not fond of leaving half-finished drawings or sketches in the oekaki boards - I prefer to finish the things I draw and don't leave them be.
      Secondly I draw quite slowly... Or simply draw far too many details... Once upon a time I spent between 10-20 hours per drawing and it took me from one month to a half year to finish a drawing (some hasn't even been finished yet and they've been in the works on and off for almost three years) - this was before I joined CS, so you won't find a drawing like that in my gallery here. When I started to use the oekaki and the canvas was so much smaller I was able to get that time down to times between 2-4 and half hours and being able to finish a drawing in two weeks at the most... But now with the larger canvas option the time has started to increase again (I'm currently between 7-11 hours as a minimum, and only if I feel like it I'm able to finish those drawings in less than one or two weeks)... So yes, the point of all this talk is that I'm slow, I spend a lot of time on the things I draw - no matter if it's a very detailed and well planned picture or a more simple thing, both of them takes a lot of time for me to draw. And that's why I simply ignore the part of me taking part in the weekly challenge...

But also, I've had some issues in life that has in turn made it so I for one thing haven't drawn much at all since 2014 started (honestly, there's only one real drawing that I've finished ever since...)...
      And during the last half year of 2013 I had a huge art block, which cased me to merely just spend my time designing characters.

Alas, now both my art block and the issues in life are kept at bay, so if we were given at lest two weeks I just might be able to pull it off to take part in the weekly challenge.
my dA | me on eldemore | me on FR | my characters + blog | characters for sale

Within the darkness two pearls shines bright,
glittering and shimmering in their bluest pride.
Somewhere in the depths there is a silent sound,
a silent song which caused the heart to pound.
It whispers, it tells stories of old, tales of eternity ride,
forgotten within this endless song.

Image Image
Vazchu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pi. » Fri May 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Yes I have!
    Same as above. However I have only posted 6, two still being a wip from a couple months ago ID
    In my opinion, I don't think one week is enough. Perhaps slightly over that, say two weeks?
    Yeah, for sure! There are some weeks that I find a really interesting theme yet never actually have the time to participate. Using old themes again would be awesome c:
    In the past whenever I have participated in the challenge or looked at the challenge board I always found the themes to inspire me and give me ideas. From what I have seen they have all been great themes!
    Well, mainly for me its a time reason. Sometimes I just can't find time to completely imerse myself into a drawing for an hour or so. Hopefully as summer approaches I'll be able to participate more.
    (Additionally currently my penpressure is currently broken so oekaki is somewhat harder for me to use, not impossible though! :D)
ImageImage
-----------

Hey there, I'm Pi!
Need any help? Send a help ticket!
Pi.
Oekaki Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *JACKAL* » Sat May 03, 2014 12:00 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: Loads of times.

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: Not yet and can't use Oekaki at the mo :(

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: I think it is plenty of time.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Maybe and you could do a comparison to your old one if you did do that challenge.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season) The themes have been good, though I haven't done any, and probably missed a look at a few.

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: Laziness mainly, and it all depends on the theme. "Do I want to do that one? Nah I'll wait to see what the next one is."

Tess wrote:*SNIP*It's also getting difficult to create completely different themes each week, without the themes getting too stupid/random or oddly specific (like draw your fursona as an aardvark - not a real theme :)). *SNIP*

For this you could set up a Suggestion thread... Many people have many ideas, rather that just leaving it to you or a couple other staff :)

█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌

▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█

Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image
*JACKAL*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Butter Dragon » Sat May 03, 2014 12:32 am

Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
Oh yes, 910 times XD
Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
Ten times but I want to do it more
Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
I think its good how it is, after all it is a challenge ;)
Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
Not frequently but maybe if one was more popular then yes^^
What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
I think they have all been great and creative ^^
If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
<3
x
Butter Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naira » Sat May 03, 2014 1:06 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
Oh, yes! So many times, that I lost count!
I am actually interested in the weekly challenges, but need some motivation to go ahead and draw. I haven't posted anything in the board yet.
Usually I need very long time to finish my drawings and maybe many artists are just like me. I think it should be expanded to 2 or 3 weeks.
Well, yes! A poll in the Weekly challenge board may be added, so people can vote for each of their favourites, which they want to be posted for the next week. Well there will be only a few different choices every few weeks, of course. :)
They were pretty good! But maybe more detail should be added. The artists need inspiration and many ideas may help them to complete their drawings!
As I said, I usually need more than one week to fully complete a drawing and sometimes I am very lazy. It's like I am not in a mood for drawing and don't have motivation, or when I want to draw, the theme just isn't the right one. c;

Edit; And I totally agree with *JACKAL* about the suggestion thread! It is a very good idea! I myself have a few ones in mind already. ouo

If you need help with something on CS, you can use the help system OR ask me!

TradesCharactersNew dAArt Shop{closed}GRP Club!Helpful Guide
Naira wrote:I am a very friendly person, and I don't mind random PM's. I am a RolePlayer and a big Fantasy Art Fan, who loves animals! (And loves Disney villains)
Skully Custom Art, By Fitch <3...Custom Skully, by TheCalicoTabby
Naira

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Butter Dragon » Sat May 03, 2014 1:13 am

Also, you may consider hiring an "Official weekly challenge runner"
After you made the fan art archive you made fan art archivists so why not^^
x
Butter Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Doodles » Sat May 03, 2014 1:32 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
    Yes, I have.

Yes, about once or twice. I ended becoming bored/overwhelmed by it very quickly and stopped posting challenges. I do still browse sometimes, but not often.

Personally I don't think a week is enough. Sometimes for someone to produce quality work in response to a challenge, it takes longer. Especially if they don't have motivation. I think maybe a two week period, or even a three week period. Firstly it would slow the amount of challenges that have to be popped out, but it'll allow you all to take more time to think of really good/inspiring ideas.

I think there should be an option where people can go back and do an old theme they missed, rather than re-using the old ones. People who did them previously, may not want to repeat a challenge they've done before. So those who completed it when it was first up, miss a challenge

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
    Most of them I like and think are pretty cool but because im not an Oekaki user anymore (at least to draw) I don't do them. Which I think is how a lot of others feel sometimes. Sometimes though I feel like they're lacking. Most the time though they're fine. I think it would be nice if users could submit ideas for the challenges. A challenge is a challenge because it's a hard task to complete and sometimes I don't feel like the drawing challenges are a challenge.

Well considering I could draw in it if I really wanted to i'll go ahead and give my feedback. I don't really use it because it just doesn't seem all that fun to me. The idea itself was fun in the beginning and even I tried to participate in the beginning, but then I just kind of gave up. It was just the same thing over and over. Idea got posted, people draw it. That was it. There was/is nothing else to it, and thats where it just doesn't seem fun. You get an idea and you draw it. There's no motivation really and there's no motive for it. It's just idk there. Its cool don't get me wrong, but I feel like it could be more than just and idea and a drawing. When I say more I mean more interactive between CS and users. I guess that sounds like much but being given and idea > drawing; isn't really interactive. It's more like a cause and effect rather than a challenge that sparks creation. You give the idea being the cause, the effect of the idea is people draw it. Something challenging should be given that would push people to their limits. That's a challenge.
    Users being able to submit ideas, or vote for challenges to be featured or staff choosing featured challenges. That would firstly give more motivation to people, and give them something to work for; but then it becomes a bit more fun and more interactive for the users.

ImageImage
Characters
Deviantart

Back of the car
Blankets and me and you
We're running on perfectly wasted youth
I'll hold you close
We'll call this home tonight

And the fake tattoo that you drew on my arm
Had an X and an O
Never change who you are
Throw our hearts in the air
Doodles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Peachpie1164 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:43 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3) Yes i try to as much as possible, but my laptop sadly hasn't allowed it to work lately.
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: Yes. It seems once by my history.
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: I like the length of the challenges, you both get a task and a time limit. But I do think that maybe one challenge should stay up for a little bit over 1 week but the new one starts as well. Just to alert people that they should finish theirs soon.
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Maybe a few of the more popular themes, or the ones that were interesting but not may people managed to complete a drawing for because of time etc.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season) I like the themes, but with some i have found myself having to read the post a few times before understanding properly what i must do. Some of them have been wonderful though and sounded like so much fun but i couldn't do them because of my bad laptop has left me unable to participate. I really do love the designing ones though, it helps when I'm stuck on what to use as inspiration.
Well sometimes i will see a challenge i would much like to be part of, but chibi paint didn't like my tablet and i have not had pen pressure until recently when i got my new tablet. But now Oekaki isn't working for me (I'm getting my nerds on this ASAP xD)
I know not having pen pressure wasn't really all that awful but i am a bit of a perfectionist at times and can be really OCD about my characters and just everything i draw.
Hello~ I'm Peachpie1164~
Feel free to call me, Peach/y, Tao,
or anything else. My PM's are
always open and I'm always up for
a chat~
Peachpie1164

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups