An "Advanced" board has been added to the oekaki!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: An "Advanced" board is being added to the Oekaki soon!

Postby BeaztVibe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:35 pm

I like this idea. I sort of get what You mean with the advanced one as well. It would help a lot of the realistic photo like artists out. It would also set a new goal for beginning artists to reach and strive for with their work. All I wonder is if the only thing allowed in
Advanced is lineless drawings I didn't see a requirement for those type of lines so i am left to wonder. Only tick about that.
I also don't understand the "Attractive" part. Does that mean it has to be colorful and eye catching or can it be not be eye catching but really good.
BeaztVibe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tiny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:38 pm

I feel like these "guidelines" for the art are kind of restrictive and unnecessary. Not only does it push beginners to an even lower level (almost as if you are saying their art isn't good or that it is a place for effortless art - "didn't take much time or effort to complete"), it further glorifies the "good" artists while it doesn't seem to allow much room for other artists to be discovered.

It just seems unnecessary to have this division between it. Not to mention the amount of harassment from the community that an artist who is not quite good enough ("this doesn't belong here!") or when something gets moved because it doesn't have "detailed background" so it is "complete" (backgrounds aren't always needed to complete an artwork).

How is it planned to effectively moderate what art goes where? Every oekaki mod will have a different opinion as to what goes where, and then that will leave some good artwork that should belong in a higher level totally unnoticed. And when your artwork gets moved down a level, that does some damage to morale if they tried their best.

I am not looking forward to nor am I in support of this change, I feel like it will only cause more problems and time than it's worth.
tiny

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Duh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:39 pm

I've never even been in agreement with separating the boards into even beginner and intermediate in the first place, but wow, adding advanced to that? Way to make less skilled artists feel even worse about their work.
It really shouldn't be anyone's place to judge whose art is worthy of being called "advanced", especially when even some professional artists' work wouldn't fit into the standards that I see up there for the advanced board(seriously, backgrounds do not make a work more complete, and more detailed anatomy or coloring is not in any way better than that with less details). It's insulting to separate art into categories like this.

I am definitely not in agreement that the addition of this board will be a good thing, especially when it's just inviting the whole "this doesn't belong in intermediate" fiasco to happen all over again the new board, as well as a whole slew of other problems.
Duh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dragon Reine » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:40 pm

That's awesome. ^-^
Looking forward to see who makes it in the Advanced Oekaki
boards. c:

~♚
┎━━━━━━━━━┒
▆▆▆ † ▆▆
┖━━━━━━━━━┚
LOST IN THE
YOU CRASH
━ ━into mycoast
IM WAITING FOR
your━ ━ ━━ ━ ━━
xImage
to wash away
━━━━━━━━━
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
━━━━━━━━━
━ ━
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▒▒
▒▒
░░
░░
---
ImageImage
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
and are there any━━━━
xxImage
━━━━━━ ━━━ ━ ━━━
text
text
text
text
text
text

━━━ ━━━━━━ ━━━ ━
Dragon Reine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tess » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:48 pm

The reason for splitting art into "level" categories isn't to make people feel bad

the problem with putting everyone in one board is that it reduces exposure for the artists who spend more time on their art

the boards are ordered by "most recent post time" so the fact is that if 10 people submit art that took them 5 minutes each to make, they will bump down an artwork which took 50 minutes to make, which will end up 10 posts behind them. The beginners art is produced at a much higher rate than intermediate or advanced because those artists have usually spent a lot less time perfecting and polishing their artwork. They rapidly bury the intermediate/advanced artists.

It also allows the "most popular this week" categories to include art from all skill levels, because it picks a set number of the most popular from each board - if everyone is all in one board together then only the most advanced pics are likely to ever be featured in those categories. This way beginners have a chance to make it into most popular because they're only competing with other beginners for a spot from their category
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Berkshire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Hum, interesting change.

I will be watching this progression closely, let's see where I fit in.

Feel free to use any of my oekaki as category examples!

Now all we need is a Private Lines Board

Splat

Splat

Splat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Galaxy❄ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 pm

If you want, feel free to add some of my recent art to examples. c:
This is a great idea. I know I wouldn't fall under advanced. Not yet, anyway. ^^ I'd probably fall into intermediate with my art.
[ Other Means To Contact Me ]
Twitter : @IceTabby | Tumblr : @somethingridiculous | Discord : FallenGalaxy

Galaxy❄

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tiny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm

however, art that tends to be "good" by CS standards stays on the front page as it receives attention anyway by being posted on. The "good" art that you are wanting to be seen does generally get seen.

even if you aren't doing it to make people feel bad, I'm fairly certain it will still happen. I know when I was a "bad" artist, intermediate seemed unachievable- that I was never going to get to be an artist that gets idolized for their art. I'm still not. And I know I'm definitely not going to be able to be put on advanced, which just pushes me away from the oekaki and rips any desire to show my art on cs away.

When people post on, say, the advanced board and they aren't ready for it by your standards, the only comments they will get on their art will be "this doesn't belong here". And that does some serious damage.
tiny

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby EmberWolf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 pm

The definition of what is "beginner," "intermediate," and "advanced" is still blurry and open to opinion. I feel that art should have no guidelines, because art can be taken in so many different directions.

Think about the great artists of our time- the big names we think about often, whether you are into art or not. Vincent Van Gogh would barely make it into Intermediate on your standards, yet people acclaim him as a great artist, but his art might not be everyone's cup of tea. Picasso wouldn't follow the "understanding of anatomy" if he skews anatomy itself, but that is his style- and many people love it and feel it is advanced. Some people don't like it.

It can go so many ways, and cause so much confusion. I can only see problems arousing from this. Many sites run perfectly smoothly using things like tags instead of labels. deviantart, youtube, fictionpress, tumblr- people can get recognized on these sites whether they are beginner, intermediate, or advanced and they don't have to be labeled to do so. People find their things through what interests them.
G.B.
"hi, i'm G.B., one of Ember's real life cats.
just so you know, Ember is just a site artist, she
can't help you with forum or game problems.
please submit a help ticket if you're
having issues!"
Rosie
"hey, i'm Ember's other cat, Rosie.
if you're wondering, her PM's are always
open if you have other questions or
just want to chat. she does not
take commissions anymore.
"

she/her | adult | full-time artist

i am mega busy these days, my time on CS is super limited. apologies if trades/pms/etc go unanswered - i just have other things that take precedence

>> free clearance pets <<
>> weekly giveaways <<
EmberWolf
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Affliction » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Awesesome a new board! I think lots of artists will enjoy this! Maybe in the further when I work on my skills I may move up to the intermediate board.
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ no act of kindness is ever wasted (◕‿◕✿)

if you do debate or model un i would love to chat <3
Affliction

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me