Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Re: [please read!] change the CS security system!

Postby _SmollJellyfish_ » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:55 am

BUMP!!
┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄ ┄
ImageFURINA DE FONTAINEImage
Image |Infp|♋︎|he/him|Writer| ImageImageImageImage
_SmollJellyfish_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby reggyy » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:56 am

bump!
─────────────────
reggy| he/him
─────────────────
Image Image
───────────
───────────
reggyy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leonscharizard » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:22 am

new link added !!
leonscharizard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leonscharizard » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:47 pm

update: nick has stated that he’s working on several security improvements and that some have already been implemented, and an official announcement is coming soon. i am very glad to see we’re taking safety and security fixes/improvements!

Nick wrote:I'm working on several security improvements right now, and I've deployed some already, there will be a news post soon with the announcement.

In the meantime, all it takes to keep your account secure is to have a unique good password for your CS account that you don't also use on other websites. The issues have been due to leaked passwords from sites like NeoPets being re-used here.
leonscharizard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leonscharizard » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:51 pm

disregard this post ^_^
Last edited by leonscharizard on Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leonscharizard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby daybreak. » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:42 pm

vicasterology wrote:you could have heiw37ryqiu34riqu34uhr3oi47ry3hrfy3ry384hyf38ty3ty as your password and still be hacked[/list][/list]

Whilst true, and better security measures like many of the threads linked in the OP propose would be a more than welcome addition to curb the rate at which the hacks are happening, I think Nick's response is in line with what many in the CS community have suspected about the current compromised accounts: they have likely been made possible through data breaches from sites like neopets and animal jam and against users who used the same login information on CS as on those sites.
daybreak.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Infailia » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:53 pm

vicasterology wrote:
leonscharizard wrote:update: nick has stated that he’s working on several security improvements and that some have already been implemented, and an official announcement is coming soon. i am very glad to see we’re taking safety and security fixes/improvements!

Nick wrote:I'm working on several security improvements right now, and I've deployed some already, there will be a news post soon with the announcement.

In the meantime, all it takes to keep your account secure is to have a unique good password for your CS account that you don't also use on other websites. The issues have been due to leaked passwords from sites like NeoPets being re-used here.

just because he responded to my thread doesnt mean all is good. especially the way he responded "all it takes to keep your account secure is to have a unique good password for your CS account that you don't also use on other websites" is just so rude to the victims. it really isnt that simple to protect your account. you could have heiw37ryqiu34riqu34uhr3oi47ry3hrfy3ry384hyf38ty3ty as your password and still be hacked

While it definitely isn't foolproof, having a good unique password for CS will lessen your chances of being hacked. As it stands, there is nothing that can be implemented that will remove the possibility, it simply isn't possible. There are issues that come along with all security measures, for example, 2fa isn't nearly as secure as you might believe.

It's also important to note that the strength of a password is not correlated to it being 'complex' or 'complicated' but rather length. In this day and age, algorithms are often used to crack passwords, and they don't care if your password is a string of random characters of the names of all of your pets, it can't tell the difference. Longer passwords are harder to crack because with each additional character, the number of times the algorithm has to run increases.

As such, passwords of at least 15 characters are recommended. Upper case, lower case, and special characters don't matter, so do something you'll remember. Make sure to check your password against a list of frequently compromised passwords before using it. Finally, never use the same one twice; each additional time a password is used, the chance of it being compromised greatly increases.

ღ any/all pronouns
ღ trades welcome
ღ always tired

Infailia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me