pound-exclusive pets

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

pound-exclusive pets

Postby -wingsofwasp- » Thu May 23, 2024 7:07 am

I think it'd be neat if there were a few pound-exclusive pets or items.

they'd be an interesting addition to the mechanics on cs and provide extra to do for those that want to complete the year other than seeking the monthlies, since knowing who had one would be less clear and they could be hunted if you chose to pay more attention to pound times.

ideally:
  1. there would only be a few variants so new players would find it easier to spot and identify them.
  2. the supply would be roughly uncommon - rare in distribution.
  3. the way they would be generated would either be that if a sufficient amount was removed from the pound, a set amount would be added after it closed, or there would be a chance to obtain one as an additional bonus upon adopting an item from the lost and found (not a pet- pets get snatched up very quickly, but often many small items are left in the lost-and-found.)
  4. they would be eternally available or year-locked, but the amount distributed would change to keep somewhat consistent with the uncommon/rare rarities.

some upsides:
  1. new players would have an easier time identifying a somewhat valuable pet/item- with others in the pound, especially items, having knowledge of demand/rarity/value in guides biases the pound slightly towards older players.
  2. they wouldn't be too rare, but would give players a small leg up.
  3. they wouldn't detract from the other things available. also, if they were generated upon adoption, they would help out players with slower internet connections that might otherwise find it hard to get a rare.
  4. they wouldn't be too hard to obtain.

some downsides:
  1. they might get boring quickly.
  2. they wouldn't be rare enough to be prioritized when adopting if supply being added was the method.
  3. they would prioritize players in less common timezones and those with more time (however, the latter is already the case for events, so it's not too big a factor.). they would also force you to adopt a surprise if generated upon adoption, but this is also the exact same case for banners during events, dec 18th, and zebras(?), so I don't think it's too big an issue. they also might encourage players to grab items/pets they don't want or need.
  4. they wouldn't grow in rarity, and thus would likely be less valuable than others of their rarity. in addition, it would be hard for the site to determine their rarities, so perhaps only items would be a good idea.

any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated! I don't expect this to be made a real feature because there are so many problems, but it's fun to try.

always open to trades and pms :D

psst, why did the skeleton cross the road?
to get to the 'other side!'
-wingsofwasp-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: pound-exclusive pets

Postby Sarcastic Hawke » Thu May 23, 2024 7:09 am

I think we already have enough issues surrounding the pound, with people complaining that they do not get "good" pets during each opening and that it's not "fair" to have it randomized. I think this would make those issues worse. Not to mention it defeats the point of the pound. I do not support this idea.
Draw My OCs - Prizes Include:
UR Pastel Dog, UR Bee, UR PPS Dragon,
Marionette, UR Orange Tree, UR Malk, & more!
Sarcastic Hawke

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Celozon » Thu May 23, 2024 8:08 pm

I'm not a fan of this, my main concern is that there are actually users who don't regularly use the pound as it is (myself included) because the pound empties so quickly. Anyone who cannot or does not want to use discord (remember too that discord is 13+ and this site is aimed towards kids) is at a severe disadvantage when it comes to the pound because they aren't getting pinged by the pound bot when it opens. Even if they happen to note the time it will open and remember to come back to adopt from the pound, since it empties in only a few minutes, its more likely they'll miss it entirely. This seems to be forgotten a lot of the time when people who do use discord and the pound bot discuss changes to the pound so I wanted to mention it. This just feels like it would only give an advantage to people who are already taking advantage of the pound bot and not so much for anyone else.
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skwisgaar » Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 pm

as cool and fun of an idea this is, it defeats the purpose of the pound. it's to give old pets new homes. we already have plenty of ways to get new pets, monthly and events. the pound clears out so fast that it wouldn't give anyone time to get these new poung pets. i agree with celozon, theres no sitewide ping for pound or lost and found. a lot of people use the discord bot to be notified since a lot of us are busy. kids that are younger than 13 cannot take advantage of this tool, and would miss out on a new feature. it would be an accessibility issue.
ImageImage
adult - he/they - furry - metalhead
trades / C$ shop thread . UMA archive
skwisgaar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me