change/increase account privacy + poll

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

do you agree that users should be logged in to access the site

yes
68%
no
28%
i dont know/just want to vote
4%

Total votes : 94

change/increase account privacy + poll

Postby diablo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 am

hello all, id like to pose a suggestion to increase account privacy. right now, if you block a user, they cant view your profile. great, thats awesome, thats the entire point of blocking someone. but... what stops that user from logging out and being able to view your profile and forum posts that way? literally defeats the entire purpose of blocking someone. when i block someone, i personally do not want this person to be able to look at any aspects of my profile and/or posts, whether theyre logged in or not.

so here's my suggestion.

users should have to be logged in to look at forums, profiles, all that. a site like dappervolk lets you view their homepage on a logged out account, but to access any part of their site, like viewing the forums or someones profile, you must be logged into an account. that way blocked users cant get around your block settings. i think cs would really benefit from this suggestion, and im curious to see if anyone else agrees with me

thank you for taking some time to listen to me, and i hope this makes sense ^^

lucki wrote:
    i just woke up, so if i come off jumbled i’m sorry
    here is what i think of when i read the title

• users need to be logged in to see forum posts / post history
    and, as i mention post history, i wanna mention something, cause i’ve logged out and started testing stuff, along with having a friend block me so i could test some features.
    people literally have the ability to see your posts if they grab your id and put it after the author= thing. even if you’re blocked. really creepy, if i block them to not see my profile, why should they be able to figure out a way to see my posts?

• users need to be logged in to see pet groups
    blocked users can still see pet groups. they can either figure this out by going through history, or by clicking on the links that your profile displays next to your posts, that thing ——->
    if this isn’t wanted, then please make an option to where groups are PRIVATE. Maybe even profiles, but only moderators / friends can see. That might be a reach though.
    posts are public to read to anyone, even if you have them blocked

• users need to be logged in to see oekaki.
    art theft has become a huge issue and there have been many more reports about it in the past 1-2 years that i have noticed. as vengeance has mentioned, this would really help atleast keep those people out.

granted, i understand cs is old, but how much longer is stalking/art theft/harassment going to be allowed? please don’t suggest to make reports about the stalking because there’s various rules that have been used to unfortunately decline reports
Last edited by diablo on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
diablo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: change/increase account privacy

Postby avelynn » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 am

It does! I agree with this.
Hola! I'm Avelynn ☼
╔ ◦ ♔ ◦ ═════════════════════════╗
She/they | digital artist | king of adorableness

Image (Art by me!)

╚═════════════════════════ ◦ ♔ ◦ ╝

Get a custom emoji of your OC/Fursona here!
avelynn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GODEATER » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:26 am

This makes sense. There have even been cases of people stealing adopts from oekaki to resell elsewhere (happened to me once) and they don't even have an account on cs, but since they can view these places anyways they can take whatever they want and no one can do much about it. If these things were hidden unless logged in it would be easier to at least keep those people out.
GODEATER

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SuperVerl » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:33 am

Hmm, I honestly can't say whether I would want that or not. To me, websites like DV or Artfight always asking you to log in become a pain in the behind after a while. But I do understand the security behind it. Would it be possible to create an option to toggle one's ability to see a profile? So if you wanted to be hidden from anyone logged out you can choose a "hide profile from public" button. Weird idea, I know, but to me part of chicken smoothie's charm is that it's open and inviting to all. I'm not sure about you guys, but stumbling across a site that says "no entry unless you have an account!" Isn't entirely appealing. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to describe the feeling.

Toyhouse 💛💛💛 Image
Hey friends, play Monster Hunter
SuperVerl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cαtαstrσphe » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:38 am

BIG AGREE!! I also think that people who you block shouldn't be able to view your pets or posts AT ALL, as they can be used as a way to harass you, spy on you, or used as ammunition in hate as well.
cαtαstrσphe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby diablo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:45 am

SuperVerl wrote:
    Hmm, I honestly can't say whether I would want that or not. To me, websites like DV or Artfight always asking you to log in become a pain in the behind after a while. But I do understand the security behind it. Would it be possible to create an option to toggle one's ability to see a profile? So if you wanted to be hidden from anyone logged out you can choose a "hide profile from public" button. Weird idea, I know, but to me part of chicken smoothie's charm is that it's open and inviting to all. I'm not sure about you guys, but stumbling across a site that says "no entry unless you have an account!" Isn't entirely appealing. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to describe the feeling.

nope! you're 100% valid in feeling that way. i do agree that cs is very welcoming and opening, and part of them being welcome and open is the fact they allow non-logged in users to view other parts of the site. but like clockwork said below, blocked users can take advantage of cs being so open for ammunition and other ways to target and harass some users.

im not saying have it 100% lockdown like dappervolk does, but at the very least, make it so users have to be logged on to click on someone's profile. all the other things (viewing forums and all that) would just be a nice bonus.
diablo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby useless witch » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 am

actually I found that I can't view accounts without logging in so this isn't a problem
Image •Ванда• Image
ImageImage
useless witch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 002 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:28 am

As far as I know, you need to be registered and logged in to see someone's profile. But I agree that it would be nice if the forum weren't free-game to those without an account, or those trying to block-evade.

I'm not sure how I feel about users not being able to see each other's posts, of course it's valid to be upset that blocked users can see your posts, but I come across a fair amount of questionable and reportable content on the forums, and sometimes this content has been sitting out for hours or even days, I don't think it would be all too wise to conceal our posts from blocked users.
It would also make forum games confusing, and if someone were to quote you, blocked users would be able to see that post, it would be ineffective. There could be a better way to approach this.
❴ no pronouns, any // student ❵
trade //
skelebun hoard

૮ ˶ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ˶ ა ˚ʚ♡ɞ ©

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tailish » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 am

Nobody can see your profile without logging in. If you log out and go to your own profile, you'll see a page that says something like "you need to log in to view this content". While logged in, users you have blocked cannot see your profile and cannot post in your topics (except for in the CS Discussion and General boards). This means that blocked users can never see your profile.

However, people can see the forum, including posts and artwork, while logged out. I believe this is because CS is based on an older style of forum/message board not just tech-wise but also in spirit, which were always public by default. If you go look up forums from the early 2000's, you'll find that everything is usually visible to all people looking at the site because that was the whole point of creating a public website rather than a private messaging board. I might just be old, but newer pet sites, like Dappervolk, are to my knowledge the exception to this rule.

I'm personally completely fine with this set up because it opens up the CS community to more potential users. Plus, the idea of having "forum" visibility locked behind a log in has always been a little weird to me.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
███████████████████████████░█

█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
▪─────────────
trade auction link
─────────────▪
biobiobiobiobiobiobi
x

Hi, I'm Tailish! I love
reading, horse
riding, and also space.
European Parliament
elections June 6-9!
European? Vote!

pfp img
biobiobiobiobiobiobi
─────────────▪
BLM EU credit
▪─────────────
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

███████████████████████████░█
Tailish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby diablo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:10 am

Tailish wrote:-snip-

However, people can see the forum, including posts and artwork, while logged out. I believe this is because CS is based on an older style of forum/message board not just tech-wise but also in spirit, which were always public by default. If you go look up forums from the early 2000's, you'll find that everything is usually visible to all people looking at the site because that was the whole point of creating a public website rather than a private messaging board. I might just be old, but newer pet sites, like Dappervolk, are to my knowledge the exception to this rule.

I'm personally completely fine with this set up because it opens up the CS community to more potential users. Plus, the idea of having "forum" visibility locked behind a log in has always been a little weird to me.

oh is it a recent thing, where users need to be logged in to view your profile? i swear not too long ago you could view someones profile regardless. anyways, my suggestion still stands, since like others have said, logged out users can still access forums. like you mention, people needing to be logged in to see forums could help increase site traffic, and like vengenc3 mentioned, it will help the problem of art theft ^^
diablo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me