Blocking suggestion [Suggestion Added - Discussion Open]

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Do you support this?

Yes
91%
No
7%
Sort of, but I’d like to suggest something (comment)
3%

Total votes : 421

Re: Blocking suggestion [Suggestion Added - Discussion Open]

Postby Lacuna » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:39 am

Ducks. wrote:I don't want users I've blocked to see my forum posts at all :v

CS forums are public; you do not need to be logged in to see them. If blocked users couldn’t see your posts due to being blocked all they would need to do to see them would be log out. Please be aware that anyone can view the forum posts you make, so do not post anything in public that you do not wish to have public.
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:57 am

Lacuna wrote:

CS forums are public; you do not need to be logged in to see them. If blocked users couldn’t see your posts due to being blocked all they would need to do to see them would be log out. Please be aware that anyone can view the forum posts you make, so do not post anything in public that you do not wish to have public.

While those who already knew won't be making posts that prompt this clarification and I therefore have no idea how many users already knew this, I'm still surprised at how much this has had to be repeated. As I've been browsing the CS forums while logged out since 2008 and have sent thread links to my non-CS friends if I thought they were interesting (usually very awesome Oekaki pictures), I didn't realize that it might not be obvious that all boards except for a select few (e.g. 18+) are public.

Huh.
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Liliette » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:57 am

I agree.

I dont understand why this is seen as a unreasonable request when many other sites (twitter, tumblr) work the same way.
Liliette

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:16 am

I replied on the previous page but to extend the explanation: there is also a huge distinction between a social media site and a discussion board. Here there is no list of followers or friends to restrict your posts to. It’s all or nothing (aka not posting the content in the first place) because that’s how discussion boards work. Trying to use CS like social media just doesn’t work because it’s not meant to be like social media.
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:36 am

Lacuna wrote:
    I replied on the previous page but to extend the explanation: there is also a huge distinction between a social media site and a discussion board. Here there is no list of followers or friends to restrict your posts to. It’s all or nothing (aka not posting the content in the first place) because that’s how discussion boards work. Trying to use CS like social media just doesn’t work because it’s not meant to be like social media.

0.0 Wow, this comparison didn't even occur to me. This is one of those things that I never thought to think about, because that's just how it is. I think I'm starting to show my age here, because I grew up with forums/discussion boards, not social media. :lol:

(And to pre-address something that will probably come up: Discussion boards can be private, but that is an exception and not part of the default discussion board model. Like... the social media model is based on individuals. But the discussion board model is based on having anyone come together in public spaces to interact--and that's actually why they're called "forums" in the first place. If it weren't for bots and trolls, I bet we could still be chatting in online discussion boards as unregistered guests! CS actually allowed people who weren't logged in to post on the forums waaaay back in 2008.)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me