Suggestion about Begging Trades! (Dec 19)

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Re: Rule against Begging Trades please!

Postby Cinereus » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:57 am

Fiery Gatoh wrote:
Comanche wrote:
Fiery Gatoh wrote:Its not quite that simple sadly. Most people have a trading group, and that trading group will quite often contain rares. People can still beg for those rares because they are in that group. Not sure I explained it right, but meh ^_^

I think that that can be expected, considering they're in the trades group, and so there is nothing inherently wrong with offering to trade for them. It would be more appropriate (than making a new rule altogether) if there was some way you could make note of the fact that you were more picky about trading x-Pet because of x, so that the newer members could just read it and know that they should use more discretion when offering something for that pet.

I was refering more to the idea of people asking for a pet but giving nothing return, rather than simply starting up an unfair trade. For example, today I had someone start up a trade where they asked for both my galaxy dogs, a sun dog and numerous octobers, with nothing in return.

That is begging. Plain and simple.

My problem is that I just don't see how a rule like this could possibly be enforced. I definitely agree that it's wrong to offer nothing at all, but this is still covered under the "No Begging" rule, so it's technically already against the rules. The newbies tend to have trouble reading the rules anyway, so I just don't think a new one would help, and that this is more a question of what can be done through the coding of the actual site.
ImageImage
Gray | he/his/him
Cinereus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mausoleum » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:47 am

I do find both circumstances from the First Post really, really, annoying, but I don't see how this could be enforced properly. What would happen to people who WANT to give pets to others for nothing? What might be nice to do is to change the Trading post somewhat, so you can't offer no pets for the pets of others. You should be able to offer your pets for none of someone else's, but generally, people only give away pets if THEY are the ones initiating the trade. People keep offering on my Galactic spare, saying I have two so I should give one to them..... idiots.
Kii Project + Lox Recolours + House of Snarkiness + Lackless Deviantart + Art competition = My Stuff.
If you'll excuse me, I'm going to lock myself in the pantry and drown my sorrows in bottled water and granola bars.
"I am an artist, not a printer" Remember that and heck yes, I said it first :U

Mausoleum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fiery Gatoh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:00 pm

I think Nick was considering making a 'Gift' option where people could sent other people pets very easily.
Fiery Gatoh
CS Fanclub

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Solloby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Wow, looks like this problem is bigger than I first thought it was.

Comanche: I understand newbies not knowing pet rarities, but if someone offers nothing and demands pets than that isn't a newbie, that is a n00b. Begging is obviously against the rules, you don't even have to read them to know you don't just start trades with random people asking for random pets (now if they asked for 1 double then that's not too bad, a newbie might do that then learn it probably won't work, but if they ask for 20 pets for nothing - that is a n00b, and I don't care about n00bs until they pull up their socks and learn to be polite on the Internet).

Rosepose: Yeah nice idea, but they will just offer newborn 2nd gens or baby BFW caterpillars instead of nothing. And as I said before, if someone starts a trade offering nothing but telling me to look through their pets and pick my end of the trade if I want, then that is perfectly alright, that's good to do. So unfortunately blocking begging trades through the system wouldn't work very well =(

I am just glad they are reportable now, I'm sick of writing up nice replies, they are a waste of time. If people don't bother to read the rules, why should I bother to explain to them why I won't give them all of my pets for free?
Solloby
I take care of the CS archives and
sometimes submit pet/item designs.

Characters :: Artwork

Help
You can find Help in the main navigation menu.
If your question or problem is not answered there, please use the Help System.
I am not a mod and cannot help you so please don't PM me for site help.
Solloby
Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Toastberg » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Maybe the newbies have to make a certain amount of posts in CS trades&adoption before trading with peple? Or be forced to read the rarities and stuff? Or maybe like on dragcave there is a message that doesn't go away until a certain amount of trades? The only problem is some people (like myself) actually spend a bit of time just floating around and seeing all the adopts and stuff before nervously making their first trade.

Also I think a useful thing to have would be a text box of some sort for eack group. You could say in your trade group something like "I don't want cats/horses/butterfly wolf/2ndgen SO DON'T OFFER THEM!"
~RESUME INDEFINITE PROBABLY-PERMANENT HIATUS~
My work here is done.
Thanks again to those who entered in my competition. I'll be off now. Have a nice life out there.
Toastberg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 pm

The text box is a good idea.

Having to make people post in the forum before they make a trade is not fair. While you do need a forum account to play on CS, there's many that don't want to visit the forums.

Besides, then we'll just get a ton of spam that's just people making thier first 10 and keep on doing whatever it is they were doing.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kunada » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 pm

First of, hello everyone~

I feel a bit guilty reading through this thread, since I found it by searching "Free butterfly wolves for trade" :oops:
As a noob myself, I can easily see where these request are coming from. If your like me, the first time your adoptibles grow, you get so excited that you go on a adopting spree. But once you have them all, and they're all grown/growing, you're ready for some new ones. Only, there aren't any. So you go out searching for those awesome older adoptibles that everyone seems to have. Unfortunatly, all you have to offer is your oh-so common pets...
I agree that people need to get some common sense that you cannot trade something like the November rats for advent wolves they missed...there's just too many. But it gets so cluttered in here sometimes, and the threads are confusing occansionaly. I think, personally, there should be one thread that is easy to find with all the adoptibles on it from day one, and there rarity ratings. It would help noobs like me, cause I just like looking around. I know Tess and Nick are super busy with life and all, so I try to be patient. In fact, I was surprised to find they would have adoptibles for every day of December, and am so grateful for it anyways.
Just thought you guys might like the input of a noob herself :P I don't know how this may sound, but I promise I'm trying to agree with you. :) Maybe there should be a limit on how old your account is before you start a trade? Just to throw out a suggestion
Finally updated my wish list. There are all sorts of pets there, from common to OMG rare. Just be aware, I will NOT trade pets I only own one copy of. Otherwise, I can be very generous ;3
That being said, I also will not trade any event pets or tokens before the actual event is over. Additionally, I have little use for items, so don't be afraid to sprinkle those in your trades.
Kunada

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MiseryBliss » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Kunada wrote:First of, hello everyone~

I feel a bit guilty reading through this thread, since I found it by searching "Free butterfly wolves for trade" :oops:
As a noob myself, I can easily see where these request are coming from. If your like me, the first time your adoptibles grow, you get so excited that you go on a adopting spree. But once you have them all, and they're all grown/growing, you're ready for some new ones. Only, there aren't any. So you go out searching for those awesome older adoptibles that everyone seems to have. Unfortunatly, all you have to offer is your oh-so common pets...
I agree that people need to get some common sense that you cannot trade something like the November rats for advent wolves they missed...there's just too many. But it gets so cluttered in here sometimes, and the threads are confusing occansionaly. I think, personally, there should be one thread that is easy to find with all the adoptibles on it from day one, and there rarity ratings. It would help noobs like me, cause I just like looking around. I know Tess and Nick are super busy with life and all, so I try to be patient. In fact, I was surprised to find they would have adoptibles for every day of December, and am so grateful for it anyways.
Just thought you guys might like the input of a noob herself :P I don't know how this may sound, but I promise I'm trying to agree with you. :) Maybe there should be a limit on how old your account is before you start a trade? Just to throw out a suggestion

Solloby's rareness guide shows all the dogs ever, and thier rarity.
Trinket is less than amused by this holiday.
MiseryBliss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Kunada wrote:First of, hello everyone~

But once you have them all, and they're all grown/growing, you're ready for some new ones. Only, there aren't any. So you go out searching for those awesome older adoptibles that everyone seems to have. Unfortunatly, all you have to offer is your oh-so common pets...

What I did when I started out is I stalked the "free pets and adoption" posts with a fervor. It got me the Sept pets I couldn't get. (adoptions are typically the previous months pets. Like now, Nov pets are commonly given away) I even kept going until I have a few doubles. Then you have a bit of trade ammo.

I agree that people need to get some common sense that you cannot trade something like the November rats for advent wolves they missed...there's just too many. But it gets so cluttered in here sometimes, and the threads are confusing occansionaly.

I agree... the trade boards can be scary sometimes, but looking through them you can gauge how much each pet is worth even before you start trading! It's also about that time that you make your own post.

For example, once I had that "trade ammo" of the up-for-grabs septembes, I offered three of them for the slightly rarer Septembers. Once I had a full set of Septembers, I traded for an August. and so on until I got my first July dog. Now I'm trying for two of every July dog. It's just something you need to work at and use your head.

Maybe there should be a limit on how old your account is before you start a trade? Just to throw out a suggestion

Nah. Everyone has the right to trade. Where else would you start from? The whole fun of this game for some people is in trading.

ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skyereon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Mmmmmm... I agree that:
begging trades are annoying, suck, and should be somehow preventable/punishable
it's hard to enforce antibegging rules
sometimes it's newbies that don't know better
and that the text box is a GREAT idea. What I'd really like is a text box that appears on every pet/group, and one for each group and/or pet.

I feel bad when I have to tell someone who joined two days ago that no, my extra galactic is not adoptable, but when they ask for it 15 times with varying degrees of literacy with nary a please, it sure does get bothersome. x______x

Although Shian makes a good point- adoptions are the way to go when you're starting off. I'm amazed every day the kinds of pets people give away.
Hello! Was on hiatus for ages, but now back mostly. Feel free to send a trade request - I missed a lot of pets!

they/them
skyereon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me