[IMPLEMENTED] Mark store pets as store pets

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Support or no support?

Store pet markers similar to PPS pet markers (image tag, FAQ link)
73%
Separate archives for store pets
18%
Other
1%
No support for any change; keep things the way they are now
8%

Total votes : 300

Re: Now that we have an OMGSR store pet

Postby Obius » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Actually Tess does not straight up say they will never be re-released in that post. Just that Store Pets are to be treated as a separate thing and that selling old NON store pets would be an unfair advantage. Also note her post was directed to those that could not buy c$, to not feel bad you didn't get them as its needed for site support.

Shian, there comes a point where store pets become so scarce that no one will ever have them. That exclusivity is great for value growth and maybe even a sort of status symbol. But it is terrible for preserving their existence. At that point, they aren't prizes anymore, they are forgotten relics no one bothers to pursue. Cause who could afford it? I am all for store pets re-release to keep them from going UO (Unobtainable). Too many games out there toss out exclusivity objects/pets like it was going out of style. At least some games are more reasonable where restricted things are concerned. New generations should be able to enjoy those old pets. Not 99.9% of the dead accounts no one uses anymore.

Although this would probably result in a topic lock, I am going to say it. This should absolutely be considered later on once the pets become near impossible to get.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes, the entire point was bolded. It's not necessary to have one for a collection. Tess said so.

As for there being a point where "no one has one." So what? They are relics given as thanks that show support for the server. Nothing else. You don't need one nor should anyone be given one simply because they're sad that they can't find one for trade.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:53 pm

@Shian Completely forgot about that post from Tess, but I did see it. Dang.

That being said, store pets are in the archives... I know they're under a tab of their own for every year but they're still in the archives and you can add them to your wishlist

@Beemo that's a reply to a lottery-/gambling-/random-type thing, but I don't know how to read Tess's post: take the context or the content into heavier consideration?

god my English is deteriorating sorry

I promise I'm done editing this time OTL
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Can you prove with certainty that re-releasing old store pets (we are talking very small quantities here) will remove all incentives to buy them in the first place?

Actually, let me put this into an easier to answer question. Would you pass on a $1 Pokemon Card knowing that it will be resold later at its future higher value of, say, $100? I wouldn't. If I like the pet or object being sold, I am buying it regardless of if it grows in value or not. Because it makes me happy to own it. Its growth in value is a bonus. And besides, this only comes into play once pets get rare enough. So all store pets brought today will still go all the way to being high mains before ever getting any recirculation treatment. That still preserves the investment factor while controlling the impossible overpay those pets will eventually face
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby beemo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:12 pm

I don't know if this means anything, but by the points that have been made Tess clearly isn't okay with it and has lead people to believe those pets will not be rereleased. Because people spent real money on them.

I don't think it would be okay to rerelease them period, just because real money was spent and people spent that money knowing those pets would never get released again.

@nickjr, yes I understand that what she responded to isn't exactly what people are asking about, but I think her response makes it fairly obvious. That response could be posted here as well and still make complete sense.
beemo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 pm

I actually have two points-

1. The C$ price should be much higher than the original release price, simply because they're older pets. There's nothing at all wrong with some people not being able to afford the older list pets, I think if everyone could get one that pet's value would go way down. So what if some people can't afford to get them, isn't that the point of the price being higher? And there is a thing called trading.

2. They shouldn't be rerelased at all. Store pets are special, they aren't like regular adopts like sun pups or moon pups were, so why rerelease them? Just because people like to complain about something they don't have. Even if the old store pets do become unobtainable, oh well. Even as some of them find forever homes, whether it be due to greed, or just that person likes that particular pet, I still don't think they should be rereleased.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Tess wrote:[snip]

For those who are intent on completing your collection: if I were you, I would view the shop pets as a seperate collection from the free pets. We purposefully refuse to sell old rare pets like sun dogs/zebras etc in the CS store, because that would create an unfair advantage on those who could just pay to complete their collections. The store pets will always be different to free pets, so that there is no overlap. You can find someone to trade with if you really want one, but try not to be upset if you never have them. They're part of a separate collection. I believe a complete collection of CS pets does not include anything from the store, those are just bonus pets or items for people who continue to support our speedy new server.

nickjr wrote:[snip]

That being said, store pets are in the archives... I know they're under a tab of their own for every year but they're still in the archives and you can add them to your wishlist

[snip]

What if we booted the store pets from the archives? Or at least removed the "add to wishlist" thing. Are people not hunting for stuff like the Rainbow Smoothie or the Vampiric chicken art contest (??) items to consider their item collection complete (unless they're super hardcore players)? (I honestly don't know; please answer me) These items are not in the archive. Maybe we should treat store pets the same. But since they're super duper abundant and--unlike custom pets, the Rainbow Smoothie, the aforementioned chicken items, and (to some extent) the DIY birthday cake--NOT originally exclusive to a (certain set of) user(s), we could still include them in the archive.
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:11 pm

I would really like to see how many people would quit if such rarity caps ever visit store pets. I would gamble that you wouldn't notice any change to the population if they left. Cause you know.. its probably less than 50 owners at that point.

I really do think the exclusivity argument is deeply rooted in greed and egotism. Or at the very least, selfishness as they want to be the only ones with the equivalence of customs.

This may get little support now. But as demand gets way worse and fewer and fewer owners remain, we may see a shift in perception to those exclusive pets we hardly ever see. We are already seeing a big effort to curb added demand on the FTT and a rework of the Rares List. What will happen once store pets demand hits the stratosphere? Will the community still argue no rereleases then? Somehow I doubt it.

And no. Not everyone buys for exclusivity. Some buy cause they like/love the pets, to gift to another, to trade later, to trade now, or just to have it.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby beemo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:12 pm

nickjr wrote:What if we booted the store pets from the archives? Or at least removed the "add to wishlist" thing. Are people not hunting for stuff like the Rainbow Smoothie or the Vampiric chicken art contest (??) items to consider their item collection complete (unless they're super hardcore players)? (I honestly don't know; please answer me) These items are not in the archive. Maybe we should treat store pets the same. But since they're super duper abundant and--unlike custom pets, the Rainbow Smoothie, the aforementioned chicken items, and (to some extent) the DIY birthday cake--NOT originally exclusive to a (certain set of) user(s), we could still include them in the archive.
I could stand behind this, as long as there is some way for people to see what Store Pets there are. Maybe a thread or something? There's a thread for customs, so it could be similar to that.

Also, about the Rainbow Smoothie and Vampiric Birthday Hat, no I don't think people actively hunt for them.
beemo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me