Suggestion: Night Mode Theme - Poll - WIP 1st post

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Night mode? Yay or Nay?

YAY!
97%
NAY!
3%

Total votes : 552

Re: Suggestion: Night Mode Theme - Now with Poll

Postby pthumerian » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:36 pm

I want darker themes. Right now, the only one I can use without getting painful eye strain is the halloween theme, and the business theme looks too bland for me, and the space theme has too strong contrasts of black and white.
pthumerian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Still support!

I use dark mode on everything and the closest I have gotten to a good mode for CS is Buisness Mode but that only works on PC not my phone.
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pthumerian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:59 am

Keep in mind that CS is not some social media site with one of these totally plain featureless designs, though. The CS design has an oldschool forum flair. It's full of little graphics and details and they can't just simply change 2 color codes to make everything different. Either way, instead of a simple super-plain "night mode" like on twitter, I'd rather suggest something like a "night forest" theme, where the base green design is put into soft and eye-calming nightly colors. Of course, the text/posting areas are especially important. Bright text fields together with dark background only create more straining contrasts, which are a reason why I can't use the space theme, for example.
pthumerian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby morphine. » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:33 pm

support! would also like a "dark mode" for mobile since none of the other themes work for it
⋆☽☼☾⋆
the name is evelyn
morphine.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 pm

Bump! I'm fine with overriding custom font colors in posts with a light color if that's what's needed to make night mode work. Not sure what to do about the staff role colors, though. That's an issue across the web when it comes to making both light and dark modes: how to make custom colors work on both? Maybe have a background or something... hmm... or do some processing in the background to convert colors to similar colors if you're not worried about the exact shades... well, it's already an issue with the existing themes outside of posts lol (e.g. whenever a Global Moderator is in the "who is online" section on the green themes lol)

Would love a dedicated night mode so that I don't have to use a browser extension to turn CS into this sad-looking thing :rofl:

Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby UR Kob » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 am

OOF I havent checked this in a hot minute. Alas, life is crazy thing. Nice to see people still support and are coming up with great points and ideas!! Thanks y'all!

Doglover879015 wrote:Only support if it does not turn on automatically for any reason aka I don't want it as a default as honestly I find night modes a bit hard to look at.

Im sure this theme would be 100% optional, as you can change your theme in your board preferences so no worries!

catonium wrote:Keep in mind that CS is not some social media site with one of these totally plain featureless designs, though. The CS design has an oldschool forum flair. It's full of little graphics and details and they can't just simply change 2 color codes to make everything different. Either way, instead of a simple super-plain "night mode" like on twitter, I'd rather suggest something like a "night forest" theme, where the base green design is put into soft and eye-calming nightly colors. Of course, the text/posting areas are especially important. Bright text fields together with dark background only create more straining contrasts, which are a reason why I can't use the space theme, for example.

Oh yeah no totally, I didn't elaborate but I def dont mean that it has to be just like twitter and be plain. CS's oldschool forum look and cute art is what makes CS 'CS'. I'm sure most ppl (myself included) love that and dont want that to change. The screenies in my post are just to give an example of the concept/less contrasty dark colors I'm thinking because I too cant use the space theme for your reasoning. You bring up a good point about specifically coming up with a theme though other than just "nightmode". I absolutely LOVE your idea for a quiet forest theme! It would fit nicely with the other two green themes and foliage. Maybe a few cute not-too-bright lil fireflies could float around too hehe Someone else before mentioned the halloween theme is perfect for them, so maybe even repurposing and tweaking and old theme is a possiblity

nickjr wrote:Bump! I'm fine with overriding custom font colors in posts with a light color if that's what's needed to make night mode work. Not sure what to do about the staff role colors, though. That's an issue across the web when it comes to making both light and dark modes: how to make custom colors work on both? Maybe have a background or something... hmm... or do some processing in the background to convert colors to similar colors if you're not worried about the exact shades... well, it's already an issue with the existing themes outside of posts lol (e.g. whenever a Global Moderator is in the "who is online" section on the green themes lol)

Would love a dedicated night mode so that I don't have to use a browser extension to turn CS into this sad-looking thing :rofl:

AGREE! For the sake of eyes and for just the one theme, I wouldnt mind a custom font color override either. If its darker more muted/less saturated colors with less value contrast between them (like what catonium suggested above) I think the staff names color/hue wise should still be easy to see on posts at least. The only issue would be their value contrast against the background colors for people with certain color blindness depending on the color. IDK. I think if i have time i might try to photoshop something together this week and fiddle around with this.

And same, my extension keeps making all the buttons on the banner look glitched out so i cant click on anything unless i turn it off shjakdhjkshal

------------

I'm thinking i should def update the front page with some example mockups/possiblities of color combos+contrasts and put in the point about a specific theme around nightmode, but my time is limited so ill put something together when i can. in the mean time if yall have any other ideas/concerns about this please let us continue discussing!
Last edited by UR Kob on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pet's name: Bean
UR Kob

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NonbinaryNobody » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 am

✘ let me bump this once more especially after that Aprilfools thing
Wip rn!
NonbinaryNobody

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Suggestion: Night Mode Theme - Poll - WIP 1st post

Postby nickjr » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:44 am

:eyes: With the addition of a board setting that makes posts easier to read by stripping size and color tags and also changing the background color of the forum posts (but not quote boxes) from tan to white (which makes me sad because I LOVE the forced large text size but I have a conflicting need for not-so-high contrast lol).... dare I hope that CS will get a Night Mode? :D
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enra » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 pm

OMG Support! My eyes soo need this mode... Dark Halloween, Dark Spring, Dark Christmas... i soo want see this!
Tokens sold, thank you.

SELL: 9000+ pets in THIS group

My English Language Lv. is OMG-So-Low
Enra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby another eternity » Fri May 21, 2021 11:03 pm

i was just looking for this exact suggestion yesss
photophobia does Not play nice, I’ve been having to use the Halloween theme bc it’s dark neutral enough to not hurt my eyes too bad,
but it does seem to be locked off of mobile so hopefully a dark mode can be added to work for every screen
hiii, im not around all the time,
but i try to hop on for monthly drops and events.
im chronically ill, so i may not seem all there, but i dont bite! hard.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

another eternity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me