The Falling of a Star | Stars #3000 entry

Create a topic here to store adoptable/character competition forms.

The Falling of a Star | Stars #3000 entry

Postby strawberryjelly » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:22 am

Estella
she/her
astronomist
adapting to a life of mortality is difficult for a former god
yeehaw

credits x. x, x

Last edited by strawberryjelly on Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
val | she/her | Fallen Light | hi ! call me valerie :) an animal lover, farming game enthusiast. i'm not on here much anymore but feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

<- click for image credit
strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Falling of a Star | Stars #3000 entry

Postby strawberryjelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:01 pm

Where It All Began
| x words |

“Estella… Estella!” A loud voice barked, the commands getting more demanding each second. “Great Stars, I can’t believe you fell asleep again…” A sharp nudge in her side finallt woke her up. The brightness of the new light was blinding; a fuzzy figure hardly blocked it. Blinking her tired eyes, Estella focuses her vision and sat up.

“About time, Estella.” The voice was quieter now. Moonlight shown from above, revealing the cat that had caught her this time.

The sleepy cat. Estella. That’s what the others called her, aside from being a failure. “Nice to see you too, Helios. Morning already? Guess my shift is over!” Though still groggy, Estella hurridly gathered her stuff to leave. Helios studied the scene quitely. “Do your best not to tattle on me this time, please? Three strikes and I’m out, haha.

What she said was lighthearted, but she truly meant it. Twice in the past few months Estella had made the mistake of oversleeping, dragging the night on. Winter was tough enough on the mortals without long, cold nights.

“Estella, you’re being irresponsible. If you can’t do your job then we’ll find a cat who can.” Helios responded. “Gaia will hear about this and decide what to do with you. “With that, a great flash of light erupted and the sun began to appear over the horizon once again. Life emerged from it’s hiding, and snow began to melt if only a little.

The order of the gods was a serious organization, founded by goddess Gaia. Cats chosen by her to become dieties of different wordly aspects accepted a responsibilty to fulfill their roles. Failure to do so would result in the mortal realm becoming affected and forever altering the cycle of life. In Estella’s case, the winter months took a great toll on her ability to change from day to night and night to day. Even though she feels no difference in the cold, the calm nature of mortal life makes resting easy.

That is also the origin of her nickname. ‘Sleepy Stella’. Among the others of similar ranks, It would seem that Estella is the least respected. The two other times she was caught ended her in bad terms with mother Gaia and her ‘other half’, Helios. One more misstep, one more uh oh? And she would be replaced. At least, that’s what Gaia said. Whether it was just a threat or not is unknown, for now. Estella was almost certain it was just a threat, but… better safe than sorry. That didn’t seem to work out quite well for her though.

Some time later, roughly 8 hours mortal time…

There’s not much for dieties to do; they’ve spent many of their time alive completing tasks and now waste their ‘free time’ improving skills or enjoying their hobbies. The same goes for Estella. Many hobbies and skills have come and gone in the century’s she’s been Moonwatcher. At the moment, she enjoyed crafting things. Little trinkets, clay molds, jewlery, you name it. Her craftsmenship had gotten quite good recently but the little mugs she first made still held a place in her heart. Similarly, her mind may have gotten wiser in her years but the memories she made as a child were still precious to her. Before she was chosen to be a god, Estella dreamed of becoming a mother. She wanted to see those same memories being made by her own kin.

Secretly, Estella hoped to be removed from the council. She still wanted to fulfil that dream. But where would she go? How would she survive? It had been so long, the cats she once knew were long dead and her survival skills were too.

Just then, a loud bang sounded outside her tent. The council knights. The time had come. Not that it hadn’t before; but this time was different. Estella knew that, all the cats who came to see the cammotion knew too. It was obvious a new position would be open soon. The only question left; was this change permanent?

“Estella, you have been summoned by mother Gaia for your failure to uphold your duties. Please come with us so that you may face judgement from the council.”

It was time.
val | she/her | Fallen Light | hi ! call me valerie :) an animal lover, farming game enthusiast. i'm not on here much anymore but feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby strawberryjelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:03 pm

Journey Awaits
| x words |

Where am I? Stars, its cold…

I mumble as I open my eyes. It feels like it’s been ages; they’re heavier than an elephant! The light pours in and I take a look around at my surroundings. A light snow surrounds everything, and the only green for miles is the few pine trees standing tall in the cold. Dead trees too, having lost their leaves in aututmn. Overall, a very bleak landscape. Animal tracks, namely rabbit and wolves, were also visible in the snow.

“Great, where exactly am I?” I thought out loud. But an even bigger question burned in my heart; who am I? That’s what really mattered. For the most part, I remembered the important stuff. Estella, my name. I was here for a reason too… but what was it? And who is Estella?

A loud boom sounded above.

“Hello Estella. You probably don’t remember me yet, but you will again.” A small pause, and voice continued. “As part of your sentence, you will seek out the Tribe of Fallen Light. A cat by the name of Atlas awaits you, and understands your situation. What happens when you arrive will be determined by him.” With that, the voice was gone.

Pawprints appeared and set a path ahead. What exactly just happened? The only thing I was sure of now was that I owe something to Atlas, whoever that was. It seems like the path ahead was long. And for what? What purpose was it to do somebody else’s work?

The sun was now beginning to set, and over the horizon the moon slowly rose. A howl of a nearby wolf pack also rose. Sheesh, I gotta get out of here. I don’t want to be anybodys dinner anytime soon.

strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby strawberryjelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:05 pm

A Tribe Unknown
| x words |

“How many days have passed? 3 now, I believe.” I murmured to myself. The sun had just risen, but already had I decided to leave. Seeking out this mysterious tribe was the goal, though no time limit had been given the task sounded urgent. The closer I got, the dimmer the pawsteps had been getting. Also, the trees had become more frequent. The empty fields were turning into pine forests, full of prey and greenery despite the winter getting colder. A faint scent of sea breeze was becoming stronger as well.

Suddenly, a voice could be heard over my thoughts. “Stop right there! You’re entering into out territory, did you not smell the boundary line a few minutes ago?” A fluffy torbie ran up to me, followed closely by two other cats; one brown and the other gray. The torbie was loud, and mean. Her followers were quieter, waiting for my response.

“I’m deeply sorry, I’ve only scented the sea. Is it nearby? And who are you all, exactly?” I replied. Surveying the group closely, I could make out a slight puzzled expression on their faces. While they all hid it well, I could tell they hadn’t expected a stranger anytime soon.

“You’ll find that out soon enough. But, in the meantime I’ll have to bring you in for questioning.” Questioning? Really? This is only going to delay me even more. Looking back, I hadn’t noticed the pawsteps had all but disappeared. If only I understood what I had just gotten myself into.

strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby strawberryjelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:12 pm

Everybody Suffers From Something
| x words |

A chill ran through the air. Hundreds of eyes ran over me, observing. I wonder what they must be thinking; a stranger in their camp? To many, their home is considered a sacred place. Where they are able to rest, and think, and enjoy whatever it is they please. You can’t do that whenever that safety is threatened. How dare I? How amusing!

“This way, plum. Somebody is going to want to hear what you have to say.” The torbie led me to a dark cave with moss overgrown on the sides and flowers adorning the entrance. Inside, a black cat was discussing apparent ‘battle plans’ with an orange cat. “Atlas; we’ve got a visitor. Found her outside the tree line.” She nodded. “Sol. Good luck.” With that she left.

“Thank you, Pumpkin.” Atlas, the black cat, addressed me now. “Hello there. What is your name, stranger?” Despite the hostile environment outside the cave, Atlas made sure to make me feel welcomed. The warmth in his voice was unlike anything else.

I spoke up now, meeting eyes with him. “Estella. My name is Estella.” He just stared back, his eyes begging for more. “Oh! I’m sorry. I didn’t smell the border, I was focused on the sea I guess. I’ve only smelt in one other time.” How do I know that? Weird. The other cat, Sol, was it? He looked over at me. I’d interrupted their conversation over a misunderstanding? How stupid.

Wait a second… Atlas. Atlas! The cat from that strange vision! “You! Somebody told me about you. Is this the Tribe of Fallen Light? I’ve been searching for you to complete my task; what is it that you need me to do?”

Atlas smiled at her. He already knew, and was just waiting for me to figure it out! Great. He nodded at Sol to introduce the situation. “Hello, my name is Solar Flare although you can simply call me Sol. It is nice to meet you, Estella. We have waited long for your guidance.” Guidance? What can I offer you, exactly? “Fallen Light has been plagued by onslaught of bad luck, and our cats are growing fearful of eachother. Rebellions have begun, and a particular group known as the ‘Dark Forest’ is gaining a lot of power. Your arrival here was a secret, as not to disturb them.”

Sol continued. “What we need from you is a helping hand in identifying the members of this group. Infiltrate them, and destroy from the inside out. Whatever means necessary, though I’d like to keep our hands clean.” A stealth mission, huh? I’d much prefer something with a clear path but… if I must, I suppose.

The two cats waited for my response. They knew I’d have to accept, but such a task needed to be digested just a bit before I could agree. “Yes, yes. Whatever it is you need me to do, I will do it. But how do you suppose I get in? Everyone out there saw me walk in here, it wasn’t exactly a secret.” That was true. All those eyes, how would anybody believe I would willingly join up with a rebellion for a tribe I just met? It doesn’t make any sense.

“I’m glad we’re in agreement, then. And yes, I understand this is a lot to ask. This task is going to take months of dedication, and many are going to resent you when this is all said and done. But those who are worth your time will truly appreciate all that you do.” Atlas was calm as he said it, but excitement is hard to contain. Turning toward Sol, “I’ll leave it to you to determine how Estella shall go about this. Take care not to put her into any danger; this is meant to be under wraps for now.”

Sol nodded in agreement and walked away to a small table, papers littering its top. Atlas once again addressed me. “Off you go, for now. I’ll make an announcment on your joining of the tribe in a moment. Of course, you won’t really have to stay with us once this is all over. I understand you’ll want to return home.” Home… what is home, anyway? I can’t remember anymore.

strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby strawberryjelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:16 pm

Trouble Within
| x words |

Outside of the cave was a blur of emotions. Some curious cats watched as she exited, others could care less. Pumpkin, whom she’d originally spoken too, approached her. Nothing about the way she walked signaled aggression, only curiosity. “It’s not everyday we get someone new in these parts. Sorry about earlier, by the way. Standard protocol.” Whispering, she added, “For your knowledge, I am aware of your conditions. Atlas entrusted Sol and I in on this mission as his closest allies, but we are the only ones. Don’t go blabbing on us now.”

Atlas must’ve known these two for so long, to include them on such a plan. It’s safe to say I can rule them out for now. “Yes, thank you for finding me out there. Don’t worry, I didn’t take any of your shortness to heart.” Except I had, if only a little. Nobody likes to be mistreated.

Pumpkin smiled warmly. “I’m glad! Now, would you like me to introduce you to the tribe? They’re eager to meet you. Let’s see who’s around right now…”

Looking up, I found a black cat watching silently above. On top of his cave sat Atlas; just below was his second-in-command, Sol. The two nodded between themselves, and the small black cat stood up. “Cats of the Fallen Light! I call you all to the initiation of a cat you’ve all just met, Estella.” The cats began to gather. “Estella, please come forward.”

I step forward and meet eyes with Atlas as he steps down from his highground. “On this day, a stranger found our secluded tribe and expressed her interest in joining us. Who am I to say no to that? If Estella proves that she can provide for this clan, I believe she could make a wonderful addition. The real question, however, is if you’re willing.” He reached for a red berry and smashed it between his paws.

“Yes, I promise to protect this tribe with my life and to provide food when food is scarce, no matter the cost.” As I finished my vow, Atlas pressed the berry fillings onto my forehead. A sign, as he called it, that I was accepted. Roars of approval came from around me. Now, to gain their trust. Who do I start with?
Last edited by strawberryjelly on Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby strawberryjelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:21 pm

Rebirth and Decisions
| x words |

* At this moment, months have passed since Estella was given her mission. Winter was one of the coldest, but now things have started to bloom again. Spring - the season of rebirth, change, and new beginnings. And that’s exactly what’s happening now; change is brewing. *

“Estella! Ooooh Estellaaa!” A voice called out, friendly but alarmed. “Come quick, Estella! Puddle needs your help!” I sat up from the bushes I had been napping in and rushed to the voice. Puddle! What does she need that I could possibly help with? Athena appeared in front of me. “I’ve been looking for you Estella! Puddle needs you. Her little ones are coming and with Sol gone she wants you to be there with her.”

Right. Puddle had designated me the future godmother of her kittens. Of course I should help her. “Ok, Athena. Lead the way.” Over the winter, many good cats had been lost. Thankfully, those I had grown closest too did not. Athena was one of those cats that made you instantly trust her without demanding anything of you. Behind Atlas’s family, Athena line was next should anything happen and it was clear many cats wanted her on the throne. Despite this, Athena never reached for power. While she was talented at leading her followers into battle and making sure they all survived she quite hated it. A funny thing to many.

Athena raced off, leading me through thick bushes and new growth. A swift jump over the river and… there she was, the new mother. Puddle, such a soft cat. She’s going to make a great mother. “I see I’m just a little to late! Sorry, hon’.”

“You’re quite alright, dear. I’m just glad everything went smoothly. Here.” Puddle lifted herself off the ground and nudged two, small kittens forward. “I haven’t decided on names just yet, but something sweet for the two cutest daughters. Do you have any ideas?”

One had fur that looked just like honey, soft to the touch.
The other had spikes of chocolate, almost identical to small branches of a tree.

“Honey Fern and Maple Wish, if I may. Of course, those are just my suggestions! Perhaps you’d like to wait until Sol returns to discuss it.” I reply.

Puddle sighed as she smiled, “They’re perfect, thank you Estella. I knew you’d be a great help in some way. Honey and Maple… I love it.”

After staying with Puddle a bit more, I left back for camp to gather some things and report back to Atlas. The mission of many months would be soon coming to an end; all that was left was to light the flame. The Dark Forest group as they called themselves seemed very large from the outside but actually consisted of just a few rebels. The tactics they’d been using to keep themselves hidden were actually quite obvious once you identified them; bribing the nightshift gaurds to remain completely silent or else? What a weird threat. As for why they bribed them, the group simply wanted to smuggle several goods in and out of the main camp for their ‘big plan’. I still hadn’t found out what that plan was, but talk among the group revealed it to be on the next full moon. Conveniently for me? That was in 2 days. 2 days to prepare and plan would be enough to snuff out the flame. Surely, right?

The only thing they now relied on was Sol’s group to arrive; supposedly that would be tomorrow evening. Still enough time, even if they got delayed. I’d made sure of it.

strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby strawberryjelly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:25 pm

Showtime, Baby
| x words |

Notes From Atlas’ Journal

Morning 1: Estella reported her findings, and I have begun to undergo the plan. Sol’s arrival tonight will be a deciding factor, but I cannot cross out the possibility that the Dark Forest will delay him. I must prepare somebody else, but who?

Night 1: I am growing ever fearful Sol will not make it. In his absence, I have chosen Pumpkin as the alternative. Estella will also be waiting to make sure the Dark Forest’s plans don’t change. Together, when the moon is highest tomorrow night, they will expose their crimes to the rest of the Tribe and I will use my authority to promptly banish the group to the Isles. At least, thats the plan.

Morning 2: Sol did not arrive. Prepare for Plan B.

Huff, huff “They’re gaining on us!! Come on, Pumpkin. We have to get them away from the camp!!” I call out as a pack of dogs grows nearer. The moonlight does little to reveal their location, other than barely behind me. Yet the only thing in my mind remains the safety of my tribemates and the protection of the new kittens I now watch over. Pumpkin is close by, too, trying to lead them away.

Pumpkin calls out, “This is it! You know what to do, Estella!” I jump high off the ground and cling to a low hanging branch. Below me, rushing water. The waterfall. Now poking through the trees, the moon shines down and reveals the now fallen dogs. But that isn’t the current concern.

“Come on, we’ve got to hurry and get back before the rebellion begins.” I am, truthfully, grateful the plan worked thusfar. It was only a few hours prior that I overheard the Dark Forest had prepared a ‘dockpack surprise’. Without my spywork, Pumpkin and I would’ve been toast.

Suddenly, a panicked voice called out from afar. Actually, scratch that, several panicked voices. “Sol!” Pumpkin called out. Stars knows how she was able to identify him from that, but she was right. Sol came rushing up, a small patrol behind him. They looked exhausted and worn down from their travels, but still ready to fight.

“Come on, no time for words. Who knows if its already begun! Let’s get moving.” I lead the cats through the now broken branches, back into camp. But for a camp that was almost attacked by dogs, its awfully quiet. Too quiet. They’ve already started.

Oh, what to do what to do. Think Estella, think! No matter how hard I tried, I just could not think of a solid plan. Thankfully, none other than the tribe’s strategist was here. As I surveyed the area and confirmed that the rest of the tribe was missing, Sol was able to think of a proper plan. One that would be foolproof, one that would save the fate of their tribe.

“Alright, everybody gather ‘round.” He finally called us in. “I know you’ve been waiting for a plan, but thats exactly what those rebels want us to do. They want a plan, they know who I am. Yet they still though I’d fall into a trap… see, what all of us need to do is just go in and take ‘em. They won’t expect it, they expect us to silently wait and follow them or ambush when the light from the moon fades. Do you get it? The best plan is no plan. Trust your gut, I believe in all of you.” Looking around, Sol locked his eyes with mine and nodded.

“Alright! Team on three, one, two, three… team!” I called. For the past months, I’ve slowly been earning a position that may seem completely irrelevant to some. But it truly did wonders. What is it, you ask? To put it simply, I am a sort of ‘cheerleader’ for the Tribe. When the group needs a major morale boost, I’m there.

What we need now is a little bit of luck and a little faith that this will hitch off smoothly. One hiccup and we run the risk of losing, right there and then. We can’t afford for that to happen.

Soon, now, the cats begin to disperse. As they do so, Sol comes up to me. “Athena told me I have two daughters now… I really can’t thank you enough for being there when I wasn’t able to. Puddle couldn’t have chosen a better godmother, Estelle. Truthfully. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.” His eyes began welling up, but before they could form a tear Sol walked off. They had a battle to win, emotions had to be left behind.

“For the gods, and for our futures!!” Sol cried. Cheering erupted from the small group. They, too, had families captured now by the Dark Forest. Nobody knew their goals or intentions with them, but assurance they’d be ok would only be found when they’ve been reunited. Anything less was not enough.

Sol, the genius strategist that he had become, organized a small group to go ahead and sniff out the Dark Forest, see where they were and how well-gaurded the tribe cats were. The rest would follow from a distance, in case they got caught up in trouble or needed back up.

The party was sent out, and we began our pursuit as well. Athena was left behind guarding Puddle, who had been in a seperate location due to her birth, and the cats I was closest too were now gone. Because of this, I decided to talk a bit more with Sol.

“Sol! Sol, if you have time, I’ve got a couple things to ask you. What exactly are your intentions with the Dark Forest after they’re caught?” I ask. Afterall, those cats have committed a number of crimes against the tribe at this point. Death wasn’t out of the question.

Sol replied, his voice cold. “They will all be sent to the Isle of Banishment, where they may never escape. Whoever is in charge of this whole operation, however, will not make it out alive. I can guarantee that.”

“What’s the Isle of Bani-” My voice is cut off. Already, the patrol has found them. They weren’t to far ahead, after all. Thankfully, they report that all cats remain unharmed. Those that sided with the Dark Forest were very few but the ringleader, Augustus, managed to blackmail a few of them for whatever reason.

“Ahead we go, then. The final act.” Sol led the group to the site of the Dark Forest, and called a mighty battle cry. Fierce and determined to reunite the true cats of the Fallen Light. “Onward, my fellow tribemates!!”

The Dark Forest was caught off gaurd, and upon meeting eyes with Augustus I felt a chill run through my veins. He thought for sure I had been taken care of, and I knew from that stare he knew I was a spy. Whether it was a mistake to feed me the information he had or intentional I couldn’t guess, but I knew he had planned for this. Yet, an individual plan. The other rebels had no clue.

Time felt like it had frozen when I finally moved my paws. Fury took over, and I saw red. How dare he! How dare he inflict such pain on these innocent cats! The cycle of life is a beautiful thing, and he makes it look like a joke. I ran into the fight. Most importantly, I ran at him. Augustus was still unsurprised, but I didn’t care. As long as I had the honor.

Suddenly, a bright light stopped the world around me. Except, this time it was real. A dark brown and green cat stepped from that light, staring at me. Her voice was soft. “Estella, you have done this Tribe wonders. You’re duties are over, and if you wish for your memories and your godhood to return, you may have it. Just remember not to make the same mistake again, I won’t be so understanding the second time around.”

Go back? Now? But if I didn’t go back now, I never would. To give up my past memories in favor of new experiences was a bold choice; was it worth it? I don’t have long to decide…

“Ma’am. If I leave now, will this Tribe still be able to defeat the rebellion?” Maybe, if they could win without my help… I could return.

“There is no way of seeing the future, Estelle. We must look at our past to determine the rest of our lives, not fate.”

I’d say fate sent me here. It didn’t feel like my choice, but now the choice of century’s was upon me. What to do? To give up now just felt wasteful. “I appreciate the offer, but I have built up quite a life here. Whatever it is you needed me for, I hope it can be replaced.”

That was the answer the cat needed. She disappeared just like that and the bright light faded with her. Slowly, time sped up again. Suddenly I was back to fighting Augustus, as if nothing had changed. Except now, I knew who I was. Who I was fighting for.

I am Estella, cat of the Fallen Light. I give up no battles and I defend my tribe till’ my last breath. Whatever the outcome, I know this is the choice I was made to make.
I Am Estella

strawberryjelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me