── ✦ child of the stars

Create a topic here to store adoptable/character competition forms.

── ✦ child of the stars

Postby ethium » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:57 am

𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒
────────────────────────────────────
"you were always destined for the sun, my ray of daylight."
"and yet you still lied to me, hid all of this from me, why?"
"I feared your wings would burn."
stars 3000 tryout form
Username: ethium
Cat Name: daybreaker
Clan: yukonclan
CAST - mostly characters referenced/from povs
daybreaker (tryout - protagonist)
shroudedwolf (father)
foxflicker (mother)
horizonsun (deceased-emperor)
smolderingmoon (current emperor/tyrant)
PLAYLIST - general vibes/character vibes
de selby (part 1)- hozier
de selby (part 2) - hozier
who we are - hozier
the horse and the infant- epic (troy saga)
just a man - epic (troy saga)
child of the stars - fish in a birdcage
son of nyx- hozier
icarus & apollo - ripto
5,251 words total
Last edited by ethium on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ the summoning

Postby ethium » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:38 am

── um you're not supposed to be looking at this, read my paragraph goof :)
          The moon hung high above, as it always did. shroudedwolf exhaled into the cold air, watching his breath disappear. His heart thundered but he did not let his nerves deter him as he traveled down the snowy embankment. The great stone castle his new emperor called his home stood before him, a dark blight on this once peaceful plain, carved into the first peak of the bearclaws. Two obsidian monoliths jut out from the earth, marking the shadowy entrance and directing him into the void of darkness. This felt less like a home and more like a tomb, but perhaps that was the point. The tom had mastered death itself and wanted everyone to know it.

Wolf passed the monoliths and strode into the dark stone hall, feeling like he was walking straight to his doom rather than to a meeting. As he strode deeper, the air seemed to grow colder. Like winter itself had made it's home within these stone walls. Perhaps it had. The snows this year were fierce, and early. No doubt a byproduct of the lack of sun. His clan was cold and dying, but no one dared challenge smolderingmoon. Only a fool would face the tom who had conquered the sun and ascended the throne as emperor of the night.

After what felt like an eternity of wandering in the dark, Wolf found himself adjusting to the low magical glow of ancient firelight. It reminded him of the sun, and wolf only felt a pang of sadness as he continued on. Horizonsun had been a dear friend, and his death served only as a grim reminder of what he had lost. Descending a pair of steps he approached two great stone doors, patterns of frost upon them reflecting the dim firelight. They opened automatically and Shroudedwolf stepped into the great hall. Before him in the distance stood a great stone dias, with a throne perched atop. The walls were lined with that eery fire, set into divets in the wall and great stone pillars lined the walk forward, holding up the ancient mountain. Great tapestries depicting the crest of the emperor had been hung behind the throne, the tops disappearing into the darkness of the ceiling. Smoldering remembered when those had been commissioned, and he remembered those who had died when they refused. It was so cold, he felt as if his feet might freeze straight off. He dared not approach the throne, which he knew was occupied. Smolderingmoon rarely left his throne.

"Your majesty-"

"Come, Shroudedwolf. I am glad you've accepted my summons." Wolf blinked, surprised by the odd warmth and familiarity in his voice, but approached as ordered. He bowed at the foot. "Of course, my emperor." Smolderingmoon hummed thoughtfully, and Wolf was suddenly reminded just how alone he was. There were no servants or guards here, they were not needed. Smoldering's shadows took care of everything.

"You were my brother's most trusted advisor and warrior. I had hoped that you might serve me as well." Shroudedwolf's heart thundered in his throat, and he swallowed the rising bile as he pressed his nose to the earth. "I am loyal to the emperor, his decree is my command." His trembling emerald eyes rose to meet Smoldering's. The emperor grinned, a half-moon grin that shone through the darkness, it radiated malice. Wolf could not suppress his shudder.

"Excellent! I have a very important task for you."
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ will of the gods

Postby ethium » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:46 pm

i began to loosely block this out, this would have been the opening part of the quotes below. but because I didn't finish it
          I thought i'd post it here anyway since it's relevant to the plot ^^ <33

listen to the horse and the infant starting at 1:46.

during this sequence, I imagine zeus's lines to be smolderingmoon, and odysseus's lines are shroudedwolf.
          penelope's place is taken by foxflicker, and the infant/boy would be daybreaker (aka the tryout!)
          lyrics below for you!

[ODYSSEUS]
          Who was that?

[ZEUS]
          A vision of what is to come, cannot be outrun, can only be dealt with right here and now

[ODYSSEUS]
          Tell me how

[ZEUS]
          I don't think you're ready
          A mission to kill someone's son, a foe who won't run, unlike anyone you have faced before

[ODYSSEUS]
          Say no more, I know that I'm ready

[ZEUS]
          I don't think you're ready

[ODYSSEUS]
          It's just an infant, it's just a boy, what sort of imminent threat does he pose that I can not avoid?

[ZEUS, ENSEMBLE]
          This is the son of none other than Troy's very own prince Hector, know that he will grow from a boy to an avenger
          One fuelled with rage as you're consumed by age
          If you don't end him now you'll have no one left to save

You can say goodbye to
          Penelope, you can say goodbye to Penelope

[ODYSSEUS,ZEUS]
          I could raise him as my own - He will burn your house and throne
          Or send him far away from home - He'll find you wherever you go
          Make sure his past is never known - The gods will make it known
          I'd rather bleed for ya, down on my knees for ya - He's bringing you down on your knees for ya
          I'm begging please

Oh, this is the will of the gods

Please don't make me do this, don't make me do this

[ZEUS]
          The blood on your hands is something you won't lose

[ALL]
          All you can choose is whose

Last edited by ethium on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ hope

Postby ethium » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:22 pm

Foxflicker watched the young kit frolicking in the snow, batting at the falling flakes with clumsy paws. She cracked a gentle smile, and Shroudedwolf's heart practically exploded. She hadn't smiled since... since they had lost their son. A sharp pang of regret stabbed at his heart, but he was glad the kit was giving her something to smile about. He turned to stare at the young feline and felt his own smile crack across his maw.

"He's adorable, Wolf. How long will he be staying?" Fox's light voice broke his tentative mood. Shrouded swallowed. He hadn't exactly been able to explain that he had stolen him and refused to kill him as his emperor had commanded, and then had fled for his life; all with Smoldering promising to kill everyone he had ever loved if he didn't kill the child... but how could he just outright tell your mate that that? In what world was that a good way to greet your mate, who you haven't actually seen in months? Hey honey! I made the emperor mad and I also think I stole the only thing that could actually kill him and that thing is actually a kitten with the power of the stars. Please don't be mad.

Shroudedwolf gave a soft sigh, his tail coming to rest across Fox's back. "Can we talk? Let's get the boy inside and let him rest. Then... we need to have a long talk." Foxflicker's eyes glazed with concern, and she immediately rose to fetch the child. Shroudedwolf retreated into the den, mentally preparing himself for this conversation.

Foxflicker listened to his account with rapt attention, although her face fell at times, especially when he mentioned the threat. She kept glancing behind them to the child, now snug and asleep in their nest. "So.. that's about it, really. I'm not sure what to do. I wasn't going to just.. I couldn't- I kept-" His breath stuttered. "I kept seeing my son. How could I kill a child for that false ruler?" Foxflicker shook her head gently, her eyes warm with affection. "You made the right decision Shroudedwolf. I would never have forgiven you if you had chosen to take the life of an innocent child because you were afraid of our tyrant of a ruler. But I'm not sure what to do now, should we be packing? Leaving? If Smolderingmoon knows you didn't kill the only thing that can kill him, surely he'll be out in full force to kill us all?" Wolf shuddered, bumping his head into her shoulder. She purred gently.

"Let's think rationally, Wolf. I think we should move."
          "Where? How is moving the rational choice?" Wolf hadn't thought this far ahead, and it seemed like Fox was taking everything in such stride. He was a little intimidated.
          "Well, we're not giving the child back. He's ours now. And if that means we're going to be hunted I'm not going to sit around and wait for Smoldering to arrive here with an army. We're going to hide him and raise him until he can fight this tyrant, until he can come into his starbourne gifts and end this eternal night. We head east, we find a nice sheltered place to raise the boy and we hunker down."

She made it all seem so easy. "Alright then, we pack the den. We'll need to get moving as quickly as possible, we've wasted enough time." Foxflicker nodded in agreement and immediately trundled off. She only got a few steps away before she swung back to look at him. "What is his name?" She gestured to the small bundle of plum fur, his soft snores the only sound outside the distant howl of wind. He stared at the kit for a long moment. He had never been given a name.

"Daybreaker."
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ destiny

Postby ethium » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:42 am

From that moment on, Foxflicker and Shroudedwolf raised the kitten in secret. They feared the shadow’s influence and stowed themselves deep within the bearclaws mountains. They believed for a long time that it was only a matter of time before Smolderingmoon arrived with his army by utilizing the shadows as his spies. Smoldering did use the shadows, but despite all of his efforts he never did find the child. Nor did he ever find those traitorous cats who had stolen him away. They had simply vanished from his kingdom, and with them, went Smoldering’s peace.

The sun and stars aided in Daybreaker’s hiding, shielding the trio from the darkness and allowing the kit to grow unhindered. With age came his power, and soon the parents were forced to reckon with an apprentice-aged child that did not know what to do with starlight in his veins. Shrouded sought to hide Daybreaker from the prophecy of his birth, and thus avoid everything foretold entirely.

Unknowingly, Shrouded had fulfilled the prophecy himself, the moment he had stolen the child and saved him from a fate of death. It was only a matter of time now before Daybreaker became what he was always meant to become.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx— ✦ —

“Why won’t you let me leave.” Daybreaker pouted, staring wistfully outside the den at the slowly falling snow. The night sky shone high above, and the stars seemed brighter tonight. They beckoned to him, and he longed to join them, but his parents were being particularly stubborn. Daybreaker turned to pitifully pout in the direction of his mother, knowing she might bend if he pushed just enough. He stopped when his father stepped in front of her, blocking her view of his expression. He scowled, ears pinning as he turned away embarrassed. His father sighed, nudging his shoulder into Daybreaker’s own.

“You can go out tomorrow night.” Daybreaker swallowed and tried not to retort, he really did. But in the end, the fire in his veins won.

“You never let me go out! Especially when the stars are out! Why can’t I go outside? This whole rule feels stupid, I just want to climb the Eastern peak and then I’ll be right back home. I just… I need to do this Dad, I’ve ignored it for long enough!” Shroudedwolf turned on his son, and they stood nose to nose for a long moment, angry air shared between them. The tension rose in the cave, and Shrouded was vaguely aware of Foxflicker finding something else to do that was as far away from them as one could get in the cave-den they had called home for 18 moons now.

“You’re a child, that’s why. As an adult, my word goes, and I say, you cannot go outside tonight.” Daybreaker puffed up indignantly, this response had always infuriated him. He opened his mouth to retort but was cut off. “And- you cannot go out tomorrow night or any night after that. Because you decided to argue, you’re grounded.”

Daybreaker’s jaw dropped and his eyes raged with the turmoil inside him. There were so many things he wanted to say, words that dripped with venom and malice, ranging from wily mouse-heart to star-cursed old fool. Instead, he shut his jaw and stiffly turned away from his father. He stalked to his nest on the opposite side of the cave and lay down angrily, facing the wall so that he did not have to see his parents still mulling about. The fire within him roared and howled and snapped. Daybreaker was afraid that if he exhaled it might actually be fire instead of air. He closed his eyes and counted to ten, with each breath he chose to release, a little bit of his anger slipped away until he stared at the stone wall before him feeling an awful emptiness.

His parents didn’t understand, he didn’t think they ever would. He knew they were just trying to protect him, although he wasn’t sure what or who he was being protected from. He hadn’t figured that out yet, but he knew they were hiding from someone and that he was special. This specialness came with a price, he supposed. The price of no-one understanding him. He was completely and utterly alone in this betrayal. He closed his eyes and slipped into a dreamless sleep.

Shroudedwolf watched his son sulk in the corner and sighed gently, he was angry but he was mostly just worried. Daybreaker had been so insistent now, he knew the time was coming. He just didn’t want it to be so soon. Shrouded wove through their cave to Foxflicker, who gave him a concerned and slightly irritated glare.

“What?” She lowered her voice, ears pinning slightly, although he could tell she wasn’t really that angry at him. “You can’t just treat him like he’s only a few moons old anymore Wolf, he’ll act out at this rate. He’s almost grown. Grown enough to-” Shroudedwolf cut her off, stifling a fearful growl in his throat. “Don’t voice it. It doesn’t exist.” Fox stared, searching his face for something before looking away. Shrouded watched and saw what might have been pity in her eyes. He dropped his own gaze, brows furrowing as he inspected his paws.

“We can’t ignore his destiny forever, Shrouded. As much as I don’t want things to change, change is coming. The longer we run from it, the more disastrous it will be for us all. We cannot afford disaster, not when his life is on the line.” She gestured towards their son, whose breath had evened out and softened. He had angered himself into exhaustion and was now asleep.

“The day will come when he will need to meet with the stars and his destiny will come to pass. He will bring the new dawn, but he’ll never get the chance if we don’t let him.” Shroudedwolf felt the tears before he knew he was crying.

“What do you expect me to do? I won’t watch my son be killed by that tyrant. I won’t let him be destroyed by the very gods that foretold his rampage. I.. I love him, Fox. I can’t lose another.” His voice stuttered and it was Foxflicker’s turn to blink away tears.

“Let him find his destiny, Shroudedwolf. Let him make it his own instead of what was foretold of him.”

ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ son of the stars

Postby ethium » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:52 am

the night was alive, and so was daybreaker. All around him the stars hummed in harmony, dropping from the sky in a brilliant flash of light. They appeared around him, circling, observing. Somehow daybreaker knew that they were not judging him, merely examining what their powers had wrought. They pulsed, and daybreaker felt a similar hum deep within himself.

"son of the stars, child of the light. have you come for your blessing?" the words came from all around him, as if the earth itself was asking. daybreaker's teeth chattered.

"I have."

A note of approval rose above the chorus of noise.

"Then let us begin."

Daybreaker stumbled off the flat-topped rock, nearly running into his father. He startled and mumbled something incoherent, his senses were too sensitive and the lights were too bright. Day proceeded to complain about all of this, and Shrouded chose to ignore the fact that there was no lights at all. Instead, he laughed gently and brushed against his son supporting his weary body.

"Lets head home, and get you warm. All that celestial blessing is making you lose brain cells."
          Daybreaker didn't protest, but he did flick Shroudedwolf's nose.

The pair descended the mountain, unaware that the shadows fled in the opposite direction. Their master would be pleased.

Last edited by ethium on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ first meeting

Postby ethium » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:59 am

The night was all around him, and he had never felt more alive. Four nights ago Daybreaker had finally ascended the Eastern peaks, with the blessing and apology of his father, and the stars themselves had communed with him. They had explained his destiny, had explained his purpose, and why his family had always seemed so cautious to let him near. Daybreaker’s throat bobbed, and he stared at the shadows longer than he needed to.

They had explained the enemy, and what Smolderingmoon would do to get his claws on him. Why he had to remain hidden and safe until the time came for him to fulfill his destiny. He stood there, in that clearing, lost in thought.

“Daybreaker?”
          The young plum tom blinked, shaking his head and turning as his father strode through the trees. A worried, but affectionate expression on his face.

“What are you doing all the way out here?”
          “Thinking, father. Sorry.”

Shroudedwolf shook his head. “No need, when I was younger, before the eternal night, I used to seek out groves just like this and lay in the warmth to think.” His father settled himself beside Daybreaker, leaning into him. The action warmed both of them, and Daybreaker watched their warm breath mingle in the air.

“If there was one thing you could do before you return to the stars, what would it be?” Wolf laughed at the abrupt question, “You mean besides making sure my son and mate have full bellies every night for the rest of their lives?” Daybreaker shoved his father’s shoulder playfully. “Not involving us, you old bear.” “What if you both are all I want?” Wolf retorted and Daybreaker’s face pinched thoughtfully. He supposed that was alright, but he still wanted a real answer.

“Alright, then a second one. What would you do that doesn’t involve us?” Wolf paused, clearly thinking, his gaze trained on the trees in the distance. “I’d want to feel the warmth of the sun again. Just one more time. To see a new dawn.” He grinned turning to look at his son. Daybreaker blinked.

“I’ll try, Father.” Shroudedwolf shook his head with a laugh, and Daybreaker felt an awful lot like he had just missed an inside joke. “No, Day. Although I would like to feel the sun again, I’ve already seen a new dawn.” He shoved Daybreaker’s shoulder for emphasis. Daybreaker’s eyes watered. “I told you not to choose something involving us! That includes me!” Shroudedwolf smiled.

“There is nothing I want in this life, other than you, my ray of daylight.”

Shroudedwolf stood then, effectively ending the conversation. “Come inside soon, your mother caught fresh snowshoe hare, and pike to celebrate.” He wound his way away from his son, slipping through the trees and back in the direction of their cave home. Daybreaker had never felt his heart so full. He had been so angry and lonely before, but now all he felt was understanding. He knew why his parents had done what they had done. They hadn’t known any better, and his father had only been trying to protect him from a destiny he did not choose.

He had been trying to give Daybreaker a choice, but it had come across as selfish. The young tom rolled his shoulders back, keeping his gaze on the tree line. He couldn’t help the weight he now felt, as if destiny itself had finally settled down on his shoulders. How silly a thought, but the reality of his situation had yet to kick in. He was the chosen one, whether he liked it or not. Somehow, though, Daybreaker found that he didn’t mind.

The young tom rose to return to the cave when a dark laugh rumbled from between the trees. His fur stood on end, and the shadows seemed to take on lives of their own. His heart pounded in his throat. There was only one cat who could make the shadows come to life in such a way. The wind howled in his ears, and he turned to see two lazily half-lidded gold eyes. Another dark laugh as the orange tom stepped into the clearing, the shadows swirling at his feet.

“Why hello there, little star~”

Daybreaker felt his blood run cold, and he bristled under the Shadow Emperor’s attention. “You’re not wanted here, get lost before I decide to destroy you!” He threatened, his claws unsheathing as he crouched. Smolderingmoon gave him a half-moon grin, his teeth flashing. The tom saw through his empty threat and raked an eye down the young cat’s scrawny form.

“Oh son, no need to get so aggressive. I’m only here to talk. After all, that was such a sweet talk you had with dear old Dad. Who would I be if I didn’t put in my two leaves?” He stepped closer, and the shadows seemed to follow him. Circling and clawing and suffocating..

Daybreaker was afraid that if they touched him he’d never find his way out.
          A snarl ripped from Daybreaker’s throat. “Then talk.”

Smolderingmoon chuckled. “So touchy. You’re right to be wary. Did you know that right now, I have shadow warriors converging on your parent's precious little den? I could have them killed in seconds.” Smoldering stepped closer, his tail curling under the child’s chin, tilting his head up to look Smoldering in the eye.

“Or, I could call them all off.” Daybreaker flared, his eyes enraged by this blatant blackmail, and from a cat he hardly knew at all!

“What do you want?” he whispered. Smoldering smiled softly. “Oh nothing much, just a trifle, really-” “Spit it out-” Daybreaker flinched as Smolderingmoon brought his claws down across his face.

“Do not interrupt me again, kit.”

Daybreaker bit back a grimace, ignoring the blood staining the white snow under his paws. He turned back to stare at Smoldering, who examined his handiwork with a grin. “I want your power.” Daybreaker blinked but made no move to interrupt, so Smolderingmoon continued. “You were just blessed by the celestials! Foolish of them, really, because I could sense such power from miles away. A beacon right to your location. How silly!” Daybreaker heaved, there were tears pinpricking his vision now. He was hurting, both from the scolding, the scratch, and the fear that his parents were being slaughtered while this- this pathetic excuse for a leader prattled on and on about taking his power! What kind of coward threatened a child? He was speaking before he had any real time to think.

“No.” He hissed, his claws unsheathing. Eyes alight with the flame that burned within him. The flame that had burned within Horizonsun. All of the pain and the panic and the worry of these past few months- all of it was because this tom was hunting his family. He would not stand for it again, and he would not stand here and be bossed around by some fox-hearted emperor who thought he could lie and bully and kill his way to the top.

Daybreaker’s power exploded, light engulfed his vision and Smolderingmoon howled in surprise as he was tossed backwards. Molten gold fire, twin flames to the ones that burned in his eyes, trailed up his paws, across his body. He hissed, a voice that might crack mountains if given the chance. Smoldering trembled for the first time in moons, when he looked at Daybreaker, all he saw was his brother. The thought frightened him, but it also enraged him. He rose but backed off as Daybreaker hissed another warning, bringing his lips back in a snarl that spoke of pain and death. It was an expression that did not belong on an apprentice.

“Okay, little kit. I’ll leave you be, but one day you will come for me, and when that day comes I will take everything you’ve ever loved from you, as you intend to take everything from me.” The darkness converged on Smolderingmoon, and he was gone as lithely as he had appeared. Daybreaker exhaled, his ear flicking as he heard his parent's frantic cries for him. He trembled, the magic and fire in his veins slowly smothering out.

He would not forget Smoldering’s promise, and he intended to repay the tom’s kindness in full.
          Daybreaker smiled at the shadows, a smile that spoke of retribution. A smile that spoke of the sun.

ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ home

Postby ethium » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:45 pm

He should have known that this was a foolish idea, but he was old and optimistic. Shroudedwolf should have known that Smolderingmoon would have been on a war path when his son first began his journey into the Emperor’s domain. For ten more moons he had stifled and hidden away in the mountains, after their confrontation outside the cave. For ten moons Daybreaker had trained and planned and seethed with rage over the threats that had been thrown and the fact that he felt as if he were cowing to evil. Now he was on a war path.

It was only a matter of time before that war found him. Shroudedwolf was just glad it was him and not Foxflicker.

Daybreaker stood to his right, panting. He had overexerted himself already, and with each opponent he took on he became sloppier and sloppier. His dodges were slower and his attacks grew weaker. Shroudedwolf was concerned. His mouth opened as he panted himself, body sore and injured. There were only three more shadow warriors to deal with, and then the path to Smolderingmoon was clean. The rest of their alliance had held back to guard what ground they had already gained, but the shadows just kept coming. Shrouded didn’t know if they were making it out of this one.

He tasted the scent of magic, the cloying smell clung to his fur but it had practically become the only scent on Daybreaker since they had begun their campaign. A shadow warrior lunged, and two more emerged from the darkness to take its place. They converged on Daybreaker with half-moon smiles and taunting laughter. Shroudedwolf hissed as he took a claw to the hindquarters, and whirled on his surprise attacker.

They tussled and he lost sight of his son in the flurry of darkness as he desperately clawed and kicked at whatever he could get his teeth on. He panted, shaking, trying to pull himself up as he stared at the shadow legion commander. It looked back with emotionless eyes. The shadows were always emotionless. They were nothing but the darkness weaponized into something more. He turned to the right, making eye contact with his son who was currently pinned under four shadow warriors. There was a desperation in his eyes.

Don’t do this. His son pleaded silently. Let's retreat, we can still retreat.
          There was no retreat. Not for him, and he had long accepted this reality.

Shroudedwolf turned to face down the commander, his pained grimace twisting into a snarl of rage. He didn’t want his son to see this, but if he was going down he was not going to go down easily. His son let out a howl of terror and anger, slashing and bucking at the opponents who held him to no avail.

Shroudedwolf gave his son a soft smile but it did not reach his eyes.

"Bring in the new dawn, daylight."

It was so quiet here, in oblivion. Shroudedwolf might have envied it, if his heart did not ache with things left unsaid. He lifted his head as he saw the outlines of familiar cats gazing back at him.

His mother and father, his brothers and sister, his son. Shroudedwolf cried as they welcomed him home.
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ grief

Postby ethium » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:46 pm

── when i'm gone you'll be okay, my son.
Last edited by ethium on Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

── ✦ a new dawn

Postby ethium » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:49 pm

Smolderingmoon stared at the child before him. The last time Daybreaker had been here, he had been only a few days old and unnamed. An infant, unaware of the world he had been born into. It was ironic, really, to be in such a similar position. Smoldering might have teased the boy about it under different circumstances, but he was wary of this new enemy. It would be unwise to provoke him, especially after his father’s untimely demise. He was young, yes, but he was powerful. Powerful enough to dispel his army and shadow wards. Certainly powerful enough to kill him.

Daybreaker was not to be underestimated… but perhaps he could be manipulated. As he had that night in the grove.

Smolderingmoon rose from his throne, watching the young tom as he approached the base of it, his gaze turned towards the emperor. Smoldering resisted a shudder. Daybreaker’s eyes were just like his own brother’s. Filled with that hidden unquenchable fire. His brothers had blazed even after death. Smolderingmoon pointedly ignored the phoenix perched high in the rafters, watching the confrontation below with eyes that were too intelligent for a mere bird. His throat bobbed but he worked to hide his discomfort. He did not want to show weakness in front of this kid, he would not be afraid of a child. No matter what destiny had foretold. He had defied destiny once, and he would do so again.

“I know what they call you, Shadow.” Smolderingmoon stumbled, taken aback by Daybreaker’s abrupt tone. “Do you, now?” He echoed, staring down at the kit. He did his best to make it seem as if he was annoyed. As if the child had not surprised him at all, and that instead, he was nothing but an insignificant bug. He was good at looking more important than those around him, it was his greatest defense. Daybreaker continued on.

“Yes, I know what they call you, Emperor of Darkness. One of Eternal Night,” Daybreaker sneered, his tail lashing behind him as his claws unsheathed. “But I have come up with a new name just for you-” The tension in the air could be cut with a knife, nobody dared move. Smoldering could not tear his eyes away from the child.

“Coward.”

A vicious snarl ripped from Smoldering’s throat, and he launched himself down the throne in an instant. All thoughts of taking this tentatively, of avoiding provocation, fled. His ears were ringing. Smolderingmoon would kill this pathetic child, he would destroy it. How dare he say such a thing? How dare he-

Daybreaker sidestepped his vengeance, sending the orange tom spinning across the smooth stone floor. A humorless smirk ripped across his maw as he turned to face him again.

“Do you want to know where I learned that name?” he whispered. Smoldering lifted his head, his eyes betrayed his fear, but it was gone just as quickly. “Do you know what happened to the last cat who called me that?” He grinned sadistically, rising on shaking legs, his claws scraping against the stone as he stalked. Suddenly at eye level, Daybreaker seemed a lot smaller. A lot more manageable. I mean, after all, Daybreaker was still only an inexperienced child. If he could not manipulate him, then he would do what he had intended to do all those moons ago. What Shroudedwolf had failed.

Smolderingmoon roared as he lunged and his vision flashed into nothing under the brilliance of the sun.

Foxflicker’s chest heaved with a voice that was no longer there. She had sobbed herself hoarse, incapable of removing herself from the side of her mate. She would not leave him, not this time, not ever again. Her eyes were rimmed red, but she could no longer cry. She had long run out of tears. She just lay there, in the snow, her head pressed into the cold, tear-stained fur of a tom that would never embrace her again. She trembled and started as she felt a warmth wash over her back. She lifted her head, blinking curiously, and turned her head to look behind her. Deep between the frozen pines, a bird called out for the first time in many, many moons. Her breath trembled, and she watched as light bathed the snow in molten gold. Tears she did know she could shed began to fall then but for an entirely different reason than her grief. She stood, turning to behold the sight of the sun cresting the BearClaws in the east. Her throat moved in what might have been a relieved laugh.

He had done it. Daybreaker had... Daybreaker had done it.

Foxflicker turned, nuzzling her head into the side of her mate. “He did it, Wolf,” she murmured softly, moving herself to the side so that the sunlight might bathe him in warmth one last time like he had always wanted.

“Our boy did it.”

Foxflicker swore she could hear her mate’s joyous laughter as the night faded away into a new dawn.
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me