Looking for some tips

Ask for help with character/plot development or other RP-related content. You can also post your own roleplay guides, tips, and tricks!

Looking for some tips

Postby Nina_Bishop » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:54 pm

I don't roleplay, ever actually, but I feel like that's I should get better at it when my friends and I start playing DnD again.

I'm not very good at all when it comes to roleplaying, and I'm kinda nervous about doing it as well. I feel like I've only ever been able to roleplay properly with one character, who I loved to pieces but had died in battle, and I'm not sure if I'll ever have that kind of connection again with another character that will make me feel less anxious about roleplaying in general for our campaign.

I just wanted to know if anybody could give me some tips on roleplaying, or at least some places to look that could help me develop?

Thanks!

P.S. I think I should mention that it's going to be in a call, where we are all talking to each other and not written up like you might find in these forums.

Image nina 🐝 scorpio 🐝 she/her Image

nostalgia, dogs, and an all around good time tbh

i like to collect at least one of everything if i can, so please trade with me! i'm always down for a good trade! if there's a pet in a group i haven't got trading enabled on but you really want it, pm me and we can work something out : )
Nina_Bishop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Looking for some tips

Postby raey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 am

Hey there,
    I sadly do not have any personal experience with DnD and live roleplays in general; but the difficulty compared to written rps which take place on this forum - is definitely that you do not have much time to think about your replies.
    We do have a new DnD fanclub where you probably can get some better advice from people who have actual roleplaying experience: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3708300 .

I suppose the best start would probably creating a new character and just go for it. As a writer I feel that the "unknown" when starting with a new character can be very difficult and sometimes even scary because you are still not used to the character. The best way for me has always been to just go with it and with the time you will get used to it, get to know it better, get to develop it more and before you realize it you are attached to it and are glad you went for it. Being anxious is should be worried about, it's reasonable but no anxiety should ever keep you from doing something fun. I bet that once you start it soon will go away.

We have a guide for character creation here: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=2988479
    Maybe this guide can help you to get a basic outline for a new character. Maybe someone on the fanclub knows some other guides especially for DnD characters.

For getting better with roleplaying itself I suppose the only true way is practice. The more you do it, the more you get a feeling for it and the better you get. It can take time but no one ever was born the perfect roleplayer right from the start^^
raey

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me