Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby coppercanary » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 am

Siddy wrote:-snip-
Do you guys have any suggestions or any ideas as to why he behaves this way?? The vet hasn’t been able to pin point that it’s pain or any medical issues.

hey there!
I speak from experience when I say that aggressive cats can be difficult to deal with. we have a cat who is similarly violent, though he's 14 and we've had to deal with him and his moods since he was around six months old, and we've never had a more detailed explanation for his anger than 'he's just a grumpy cat'.

I'll say it right here- I don't know how to prevent your cat from being aggressive. but what I do know is that cats are more likely to react in the desired way to positive reinforcement than punishment. the cat may not understand why you're punishing him, and may become stressed as a result of this. yes, there is a possibility that this type training will go in your favour, but from what you've said it doesn't sound as though he's reacting to it in the way you'd like him to. if you reward his positive behaviour, for example if you keep some treats on hand and give him one or two when he's behaving nicely, he might start to associate acting nice with being fed and begin to act nicely more often. I haven't tried this so there's no guarantee that it will work, it's just a thought I had.

one possible source of aggression- though again, this is just a thought- may be the fact that he's around another cat. some cats become very stressed when living in the same space as others, as they may feel that their food or territory is under threat. as a result, home becomes a very stressful environment, and this can result in aggressive behaviour. if this is the case, there may not be much you can do other than find a good home for him where he is the only cat.

if all else fails, with time you will be able to recognise signs of your cat being aggressive before he acts. I'll use my cat, spike, as an example here. when he's in a bad mood his pupils will dilate slightly, and he kneads the ground in what seems like eagerness before he strikes. small things that I'm not sure I could describe are key in letting me know the difference between anger and affection, when someone else only thinks he's a friendly local cat. we have also learned to avoid him when he's on places around head height or higher, such as a chest of drawers or kitchen surfaces, as that's when he's the most dangerous. if you pay close enough attention to your cat, and when you've had him for long enough, you too will learn to recognise the signs before he attacks. I don't believe any cat is completely blank in this department- you just have to know where to look, and help others see the subtle signs you do.

// canary // they/them // ecology student //

hey! the name’s canary, i like to draw
things i enjoy are cats (esp genetics),
reading, dragons, and birds
// artfight // toyhouse // click the babas //

coppercanary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 am

Siddy wrote:Hello guys! I have never posted here but I am so stuck, and I have no idea what to do.
I am a young adult that has had 11 cats throughout my life, and currently I have 6 of them still.
Four are my mothers, and they live in a completely different part of the house than my two.
This is the man in question though.

https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/ ... BzaGcu.jpg

He is an 11 month old neutered male that found his way onto my porch when he was 8 months old. He was skin and bones and so so hungry and there was still around 3 ft of snow on the ground. We asked all the neighbors if he belonged to them and nobody said anything so we think he was dumped off.
I am at such a loss with him, he has an aggression issue that I have never experienced with any cat and neither has anybody else I talk to. It started once he began getting comfortable.
He would randomly snap and grab your arm and bite it, and not let go. He’s never hissed, growled, put his ears back, or given any other signs that he was going to attack us. His face doesn’t even look upset, he literally never expresses any emotions like all my other cats have.
I have tried smacking him, I have tried spraying him with water, I have tried playing with him more so he can get energy out and nothing helps prevent him from behaving this way. Honestly when you yell at him, spray him, or smack him (not hard at all) it just makes it even worse.
He attacked me once really bad, and after I yelled at him he hasn’t done it since. I was petting him and he just tore my arm apart.
But here’s the issue, my girlfriend and my sister are so beyond done with him, he’s very mean to them, and actively seeks them out. Neither of them have ever hurt him in any way, and my girlfriend even feeds him most the time!
He runs out from under the bed and grabs my sister and won’t let go, and I used to just think he’s playing rough but I’m starting to think it’s more than that.
Once he gets really comfortable in a particular space like my sisters room, he doesn’t like anybody coming in, and sometimes all my sister or girlfriend have to do is touch his side and it sets him off.
He also will keep doing the thing you tell him no too. I have a rabbit and he likes to stick his arm in the cage and though he never has his claws out I just don’t want him doing it, and he thinks it’s a game to get told no, and sprayed, and then he’ll come right back and do it again four times and chirp at me.
He also is really interested in other cats but plays so so rough with them.
Last night he was in my room with cricket, my five year old cat who mostly lays on the bed all the time, and he jumped up on the bed and stuck his leg out towards her, and she started growling at him and he kept getting closer and closer until my girlfriend picked him up and put him on the floor. About four minutes later he jumped OVER my girlfriend who was laying down, and right onto cricket and though cricket was perfectly fine she was really upset and it seemed like aggression because of how extreme it ended up being. He’s never done anything like that before, and I’m worried about crickets safety around him because he just gets set off for no reason and attacks.
It’s so hard to explain.
I am not the type to give up on an animal and just get rid of them and put them on Craigslist and hope they get a better home, and I really do love this guy. He’s so sweet when he’s not upset, And he’s very talkative. I’ve harness trained him and take him on walks, he goes on car rides with us regularly, he answers you when you talk to him like he understands, and he really is a sweet boy. He sleeps with my sister when she takes naps, and he lays with me as well. He’s just so sweet until he’s suddenly not, and it’s literally like flipping a switch. He’s not feral at all and never was when we found him, and I think his aggression is why someone dumped him off in the first place.
If I can’t fix this I will have no choice but to get rid of him, but I want to try and prevent it because I really care about him.
Do you guys have any suggestions or any ideas as to why he behaves this way?? The vet hasn’t been able to pin point that it’s pain or any medical issues.

How often do you play with him? It could be that he is over-stimulated and lashing out because he has nothing else to do with his energy. Long play sessions, long enough to tire him out, could help to curb his aggression.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:42 am

ugg. my mom want me to give Gary human antiacids for his tummy troubles
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Zippy went out for a walk/photoshoot today!
Photography is very hard when he's always zooming around and sniffing everything he sees but as long as he's having fun c:

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:36 pm

^ Aw he's adorable, beautiful, and has a cute name taboot.

I saw this today....https://blog.theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/furkids-commercial/?gg_medium=fk&gg_source=fkk-c4m&gg_term=8102020&gg_campaign=furkids-commercial&gg_content=blog-link&_ga=2.138410610.371428730.1597007561-454163886.1594941739 and it made me :D It's an add for an animal shelter done in the style of a cheesy commercial. I think it's brilliant.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FruityPieQ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:16 am

Just marking this thread, hope you don't mind! Here's a pic of my cat Butterball just because ^-^

Hello! You can call me Pixel or Nick, he/they. I have absolutely no idea how to code a signature to make it look nice <3
FruityPieQ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yibeullin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Rick Astley. wrote:so uh

my two cats brought in a dead rat last night...
the cat sort of dug its claws in the rats neck
our cats are indoor cats and we have no idea what to do as we have never had this happen before
they brought the dead rat out to show us (atleast we think)

@fruitypieq butterball is adorable OwO what gender are they?

i understand that xD my cats are indoor as well, but somehow every christmas they bring us a mouse. never fails

though for example, my girl clawdia

gave me a baby bird xD

【STARS】
▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mommy of many 🐾🌱🕊👶🏻
ImageImage

"coding credit"
▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪ ▫ ▪
Yibeullin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Swishy & Broken » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 am

I'm so worried I'm gonna hurt my kitten while clipping his nails (even tho im super careful and never make him bleed)
he just wiggles around so much and im trying to train him that getting his nails cut is a good thing--

any tips? or tricks you guys found?
Image Image Image

°°°°°
xxxxx Images Pixabay button Chipakers coding 0Zero0

Want some art?
Currently: drawing cats

❀ ✿ ❀
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi!
you can call me swishy, i use she/her
pronouns. i work full time at a senior
living facility and live a quiet, content
life with my fiancée and two cats. i
check cs every day, so don't feel shy
about giving me a poke <3 !!

Swishy & Broken
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~ moth ~ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:39 am

Swishy & Broken wrote:I'm so worried I'm gonna hurt my kitten while clipping his nails (even tho im super careful and never make him bleed)
he just wiggles around so much and im trying to train him that getting his nails cut is a good thing--

something i've found to help with my cat who hates having her claws trimmed, is that if i lay her on her back in my lap and place a few treats on her stomach, she keeps occupied and i can quickly and easily trim her claws!

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 am

Swishy & Broken wrote:I'm so worried I'm gonna hurt my kitten while clipping his nails (even tho im super careful and never make him bleed)

My family has an older cat and she hates her paws being touched. So what I do is wait until she's already on my lap or right next to me, hold her against my chest without picking her up, and trim however many claws as I can before she gets upset and then quit for that day and come back a day or 2 later to do it again.
Also, something that helps with my cat is giving her treats after touching her paws. Teaching her to high five helped too because she's the one touching my hand instead of me touching her paws.
Yo, I'm Jun--I'm into cats
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist