Variegated | #145 | event adopt by liightning

Based on Click to view
Artist liightning [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 43 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
17 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Variegated | #145 | event adopt

Postby liightning » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:26 am

To adopt you must be at least level 1 or not have a founder in progress or a founder at all. You must have an open space to be able to adopt.

This is a partner comp! You may only enter for a maximum of two kits per person. Partner up with one or two other people!
    This is to encourage development between clans, people, and characters!

You have a word limit of 1000 words per user, per entry. This means that if you work with a partner, your combined entry may be up to 2000 words long! There is no limit on art.

What do they do/who do they turn to when they’re upset?
    End Date: October 4th, 2020

Code: Select all
    [b]Username:[/b]
    [b]Link to Partner's Post:[/b]
    [b]Cat Name:[/b]
    [b]Clan:[/b]
    [b]Rank:[/b]
    [b]Gender:[/b]
    [b]Age:[/b]
    [b]Prompt:[/b]

Username: Griffin Torrens
    Cat Name: Strawberrypaw (Strawberryfield)
    Clan: BirchClan
    Description: chocolate tabby with bright green eyes; Norwegian forest cat (rare trait)
    Siblings: n/a
    Parents: n/a
Last edited by liightning on Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liightning

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Variegated | #145 | event adopt

Postby Griffin Torrens » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:39 am

Username: Griffin Torrens
Link to Partner's Post: rainbow & Oats
Cat Name: Strawberrypaw (Strawberryfield)
Clan: BirchClan
Prompt: 946 words + PMV sections

Strawberry had never had anyone else before. It had always just been her against the world. When life kicked her down, she either stayed down, or pulled herself up with her claws alone, bracing the worst of it.

Until she met two others like herself. Two who understood.

So when she realized the constellations had drawn borders between them, Strawberrypaw prepared herself for lonely nights full of upset that nothing could fix.

No one had told her Clan life would be this hard. With a pelt that snagged in branches and paws that tripped her up, Strawberrypaw thought that her skills must lie in navigating the caves running below the territory. Wishing to prove to the cat that fought for her place in the Clan that she was worth it, the large Apprentice ran ahead alone. Plunging in confidently, she stumbled through at a trot, using her whiskers to guide her in a place where her eyes were no use.

She must have taken a wrong turn. The world around her was dark, even after her eyes had adjusted. There was no sign of the glowing bugs Batwing had told her would be there. It was silent, dark, and trapping her. Just like her mind was. Overwhelmed, Strawberrypaw let the tears flow from her eyes and attempted to stifle her cries. She wait here until it passed, where no one could find her. Then after she put up her facade, she'd work on returning.

Pawsteps made her choke on her tears in surprise, wiping her tears in her thick fur before she was seen. Her mentor rounded the corner, eyes concerned. "Strawberrypaw, are you okay?"

Finally someone had asked. But against her will, a lie escaped her lips. "Yeah. I thought I knew how to do it..."

Batwing's eyes softened. "No one expects you to get everything right away. It took me so long to date even step foot in these caves, scared I'd scrape my skin. You don't need to do everything right away. That's what I'm here for; to help you grow and learn."

Strawberrypaw had never had a father. But in that moment, she knew what they were supposed to be like. After that point, the she-cat found herself drifting closer and closer to Batwing whenever she was upset, like a moth to the moon. She never spoke, and he never pushed, always happy to humour her excuses to be around him. The tabby was content with this, and had no intentions of pushing things. This bare minimum of affirmation that what she was feeling was okay was enough for her, a small weight off her shoulders. She could carry the rest herself.

So when her head was particularly loud one night, scaring sleep away, she was prepared lie there and take it's blows. But pawsteps cut through it, breaking her out of her trance. She watched the tom walking past her den in the dead of night, wide awake and wearing a look she knew too well. One that drew her from her nest in curiosity.

Some would call it fate, and others would call it bad stalking skills. But either way, the black tom turned his head, glancing at his Apprentice. "You know, it's alright if you can't sleep. The night is beautiful. Come and see."

It wasn't a question, and she was thankful for that. She didn't want her shyness to make her miss out on a chance to see if she was truly alone in this. So she nodded and followed her mentor out of the camp and into the forest. The sky was dark, broken only by the dusting of stars. However, to her, it was scary. A disguise for monsters, waiting to pounce into her head.

The two stopped before a tree, and Strawberrypaw watched in amazement as golden stars came to life, close enough to touch. Fireflies.

That night, Batwing admitted that he struggles to sleep and finds life so much more difficult than it seemed every other cat did. And with that, she had the confidence to tell him she felt that way too. They talked far into the night, about their struggles and insecurities, listening and offering advice where they could. Strawberrypaw felt home.

After that, she knew she'd always have somewhere to turn. Someone who could listen and make her realize it's okay to not be okay sometimes. They could sneak out at night for "training" and talk until they could sleep. Some nights, his mate would even join them, and the Apprentice felt as if perhaps she had a family after all.

Strawberrypaw was upset at Batwing. She knew it was for a stupid pointless reason, but sometimes her brain directed her emotions to the wrong thing. But she couldn't talk to him right now for fear of saying something she really didn't mean. (Because seriously, there's no way she'd be this mad over the fact he didn't want to share prey with her on any normal day, especially a he'd already eaten)

Desperate and emotional, the young cat ventured back into the tunnels, this time with an educated confidence. She knew how to travel through them. Taking a turn she'd been warned left their territory, Strawberrypaw crept under the low roof until she came to fresh air. Open grass was under her paws. Grass between all the group's of cats.

Because after being spoiled with company, Strawberrypaw needed to be surrounded by those she felt close to when she was upset. And these two would always be there for her, borders left behind them for a night of catching up and comfort.

She'd made herself a family, and chosen true friends.

^^ CLICK! ^^
Griffin Torrens

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .sins. » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:18 am

Username: Aktori
Link to Partner/s Post: Aktori
Cat Name: Thistleheart
Clan: Cats of the Earth
Prompt:

The cold crisp air wisped across the canopy of the trees, making the gigantic oak trees sway in the swift breeze, silence fell throughout the forest. Not a single bird sang their morning tune or the squeaking of rodents in the undergrowth. It was like a spell was casted upon the forest creatures, for they new that something immense was about to happen. Then it happened, a heavy rainstorm had struck the forest, rainfall hitting the ground so hard that dirt splattered up from the onslaught of rain. As the rain hit the ground, winds grew stronger with every second, thunder was heard, roaring up in the heavens above. The loud explosion of lightning crackled throughout the forest.

Three young kits wondered the forest alone, scared, cold and lost. They didn't know what to do nor where to go but they had one goal in mind, to find a sanctuary until the storm passes. The wind buffeted the kits fur, sending their fur to a small fluffball, snow clung to their glamorous fur as they trekked through the forest. Paw prints were left behind in the damp dirt as they walked, but were eventually swallowed up by mud.

"I'm cold!" Shivered Hawk, her teeth chattering as she tried to yell above the howling winds and the heavy rainfall.

"We'll find shelter soon." Reassured Thistle. Their eyes bright with determination.

Eventually they saw their safe haven, a cave hidden in a base of a mountain. The forest had ended and all were left were a few scattered trees here and there. They attempted to climb up the tower of wet rocks, however the surface of the rocks was extremely slippery. Heaps of grey stones fell behind them as they stumbled up and down, as they attempted to reach the cave. After a few falls, they reached their secret hideout. The kits all battered and weary from the constant falls.

"Finally." Hawk sighed in gratitude, she was able to find warmth as the kits huddled up. At last, they were safe.

That was until they heard hissing in the depths of the dark cave. It came closer and closer, Hawk and Thistle looked alert while Fox, didn't seem to take notice. He had a puzzled look on his face as he tilted his head and perked up his ears as he watched the other two kits get terrified of something lurking in the dark. Fox was born deaf, he cannot hear a single thing however he has learnt to communicate through body language.

He finally observed what was happening and understood the other kits alertness. The fur on the back of his neck started to bristle, he will fight anything that comes their way, even though he's chilled to the bone. The hissing came closer and closer, until lightning had lit up the cave. They saw the fearsome creature, a young python that was hiding out the storm, the kits had disturbed it as they entered the cave.

Hawk and Thistle screeched in terror, they ran away to the entrance of the cave but realized there wasn't anywhere to go. It's either the hissing snake or they could attempt to survive the harsh thunderstorm.

Fox, not taking another thought, charged at the snake. He puffed out his fur and his tail bushed up, he looked three times his usual size and was growling menacingly, or so he believes he was. He was intimidating, the other two kits understood that fox would protect them, they hid behind him as he had a stare down with the snake. The snake coiled defensively and bared its sharp fangs at the kits, he finally had enough of the suspence and lashed his razor sharp claws at the snake, scratching it and drawing a little speck of blood. The snake looked at the three kits, outnumbered and slithered back into the crevice it was staying in.

When Fox gets upset, he turns into an aggressive murderous fluffball who will protect his friends and family with his life.

----
Thistle quickly started to nose their way through Fox's fur. checking for any bites or scratches. Not knowing exactly what to look for, they were trying their best to keep themselves from getting emotional about everything. Maybe it wasn't the best practice, to wear their heart on their pelt like they do, but they have yet to have been hurt by it. Finding nothing in the small grey cat's fur, they moved on to Hawk's. Again looking for something that just didn't seem right. Thistle could feel their throat getting tight, so they moved away and started to pace closer to the entrance. Their thick fluffy coat keeping the cold from affecting them too much. Why were they getting so worked up about all this? Was it the cold, and sudden fight, or was it the fact that the snow would make finding something for food harder than what the group needed right now? Did it even matter?

Sitting and trying their best to curl their fluffy tail around their front paws, Thistle tried to empty her mind fo the bad thoughts and only let the happy ones in. The cold helping them focus on other things as well, the feeling of the chilled wind touching their whiskers and nose. The flakes of frozen water collecting lightly on the smallest part of the tail that it could land on and slowly making the spot numb. Why was it that everything ever only seemed to go wrong? First the three of them were alone, then they couldn't find anyone to care for them, and now they are stuck in a cave with a snake and no food. Sure no one was hurt, but all Thistle wanted at this point was for them to have a warm place to sleep and no fear of going hungry for days on end.

--------
A couple of days after the traumatizing snake attack, the kits had ventured out from their secret cave. Hawk piped up, "I really think that snake didn't want to eat us. I thought about it for a while, but it would've ate us in our sleep!" Thistle nodded in agreement while Fox, lead the trio of kits through the dense forest. They eventually hit a twoleg village, where they encountered a snarky mean old she-cat. "What are you doing in my territory!" She scowled at the young kits in a loud booming voice. Terrified the kits huddled behind Fox while he puffed out his fur, he was their protector.

Hawk assessing the situation, took a deep breath in and faced the elder cat. "I'm sorry, we are just passing by. We don't wish you harm." Calmly said the little she-cat.

The old cat looked at the shivering little fluff balls and sighed, "You don't seem like a threat. My days on this earth had made me sour - and for good reason." The elder remarked. "You three look like you've been through a lot, where are your parents?"

The kits looked sadly at the older cat, "We don't know, we're orphans." Hawk answered quietly.

The elder stayed silent for a second, "I saw a group of older cats travelling through here a day ago. They headed north - perhaps you could catch up to them and they can find you a place to call home."

The trio looked at eachother, excitement filled their gaze. They thanked the elder, and headed north. They will find a place to call home.

Alas, the kits had separated. Thistle went on to their own clan that they thought would suit them better, while Fox and Hawk decided to stay together. One day they hope to reunite and to catch up. They will always have their unbreakable bond to each other.
------

If there was ever one thing that Thistle could count on, was their friendship, no kinship, with Fox and Hawk. No matter how far away they might end up, they knew that those two would always be there for them. They had been through too much for them to not have that non-severable bond.

Being older now, Thistleheart wanted nothing more than to see how their old friends were doing, and also feeling that they need to tell them all about their adventures in their new home. Sure they felt guilty for having ever left the two in the first place, but this trip was for them. Wading through streams and shallow rivers, pushing through brush and grasses, they followed the old path to their old home. Scared of what they might find, they pushed on until smelling the familiar scents of Hawk and Fox.

'Soon my old friends, I will tell you about my new life and you can be angry at me for leaving,' Thistleheart thought inwardly, their pace gradually picking up, until they were bounding towards the territory, only stopping once at the border. Sitting and waiting patiently for a patrol to come by and take them to the others.

Who else would Thistleheart turn to for comfort and good times, besides the two that she grew up with before leaving to find a more accepting place?
-
-
-
.sins. | they/them | sagittarius
enfp-t | true nuetral | slytherin

-----

just a vet student trying to enjoy the
minimal amount of free time they have

-----

trade | sig art credit | pfp art credit
.sins.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arkinhallow » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:49 pm

Mythz, liight and I have finally gotten together and judged this comp, and we were very impressed with the quality of the entries. I think all of us enjoyed reading through what you put together. Thankyou very much to the users who participated, it's clear everyone put in a lot of effort for this comp.

We would like to announce that the winners of these adopts are honeybunchesofoats, rainbowspongefactory and Griffen Torrens! 👏We were really impressed with the different perspectives of each of the kits, the writing was beautiful and you clearly worked very hard on your entries. The PMV was a wonderful touch and it really rounded out the entries and brought them together. Congratulations!!
x
x

I'm Arkin! ♪ they/them ♪ Adult
3D & 2D artist ♪ AEST ♪ Ravenclaw
All sig/profile art is by me!

useful links:
species I run:
Arkinhallow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Griffin Torrens » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Ahhhh, thank you so much!! And a huge thank you to my partners, I'm so proud of how our work turned out, and can't wait to develop them more!!
Griffin Torrens

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me