Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

The Rainy Shepherd [ open for posting ] by antler apathy

Based on Click to view
Artist antler apathy [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 27 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
68 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

The Rainy Shepherd [ open for posting ]

Postby antler apathy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:25 am

The Rainy Sherpherd - a breed known for it's protective and nurturing attitude. These large, furry canines live on a minor planet named Spica, after an ear of wheat. The planet holds a terrain that is very much similar to what is found in scotland. Temperate highlands with rocky cliffs into the sea and lush green fields that slowly ascend into mountainous terrain. It rains frequently on Spica; the shepherd really enjoys this weather, thus their name.

>> about their build

- The Rainy shepherd is a big breed, standing at about 79 – 83 cm for an adult male at the shoulder and 73 - 79 cm for an adult female at the shoulder - generally about the size of a great dane.
- They have a smooth build, leaning slightly towards the slender side. They have long, powerful legs which are good for running long distances to herd and chase.
- Rainy Shepherd have webbed feet for swimming since they live in areas often along shorelines and flood lands.
- Their base fur is short but stands on end, it's an insulator so it's nice and fuzzy. They also have a shaggy, mane-like secondary coat that covers their head, neck, and then runs in a short line down their back to cover their entire tail. This is to keep them extra warm.
- Generally their tails are thick and stiff, but can sometimes come in variations such as docked or extra/longer fur.
- They always have floppy ears
- The standard horns for a Rainy Shepherd are medium-length spikes, but rare mutations can occasionally give them other types of horns.

>> about their coats

The Rainy Shepherd comes in all sorts of color imaginable; they span over the entire rainbow. Generally you'll see a natural and/or unnatural pastel color for the base coat. Markings on top can also be natural or unnatural pastel but may include vibrant displays from pinks to blues to greens. Sometimes their 'mane' can be a vibrant color as well.
Rainy Shepherd can have an array of markings - spots, stripes, etc. They're a breed that is not limited to certain patterns. That being said, what you will never find on a shepherd are:
- writing/words on their fur
- objects/symbols that stand alone (for example, things like crosses, trees, general objects put on the fur is a no. If things like stars and hearts stand alone, then no. If the star or heart somehow does fit into the rest of the design of the fur, then that is alright)
- Lines that aren't a variation of stripes and/or are incorporated into the deign (so no 'vines' wrapping around the legs or odd patterned streaks along the fur; if the lines make up a bigger design like this then it is okay). Exceptions are made if the dog has tribal markings painted onto it's coat, these are not actually considered markings - they are more accessories.

>> about their mutations

A Rainy Shepherd with a mutation is slightly uncommon, though seen pretty frequently. There's usually about a one in thirty chance of it having some sort of difference to what's considered 'normal' for the breed - so mutations are actually pretty high. The most common of mutations will be some sort of variation in fur or mane (whether it be length or texture). Secondly will be a difference of horns. Rainy Shepherds can have a different type of horn, or they could possibly have multiple pairs. Other rarer mutations may include differences in claws, eyes, etc.
Mutations will not randomly appear on the dogs. They are either born with them or the owner has to pay a certain amount to have their dog altered manually. That means that the only ways you can get shepherd with mutations is to adopt one where the artist has already created the design with the mutation(s). The other way is to wait until bribes are open and then ask either the artist who created the design or I for permission (including a fee) to change your dog's DNA and add certain mutations. Once accepted either you or an approved artist may edit the design with the mutations.

>> about their items/accessories

Rainy Shepherds are welcome to have their own accessories to make them unique! They tend to be attracted to small things, though larger ones are always welcome. Unfortunately, these items are not allowed on rainy shepherds:
- major articles of clothing (pants, shirts, hoodies, things that covers lots of the body)
- contacts to alter eye colors
- dyes to change markings (not to be confused with paint, which is temporary and accepted)
- extensions to alter hair style
(this list may be subject to change in the future)

>> bribes for alterations

Bribes are closed.
when bribes are open you may ask the artist who created your shepherd or myself to change your shepherd's DNA to include certain mutations. Know that the more mutations you ask for, the higher the bribe will need to be and the more potential you will have to be rejected. We need to approve the artist you wish to change your design if they aren't on the staff already. You'll need to get permission from the artist as well and you are in charge of paying them separately if necessary since the bribe will only go to the artist who created the design. You're welcome to do it yourself if you want to.
When open, send this form to the artist who created your design or myself:
Code: Select all
[b]username:[/b]
[b]rainy shepherd:[/b]
[b]mutations wanted:[/b]
[b]artist:[/b]
[b]bribe:[/b]
Last edited by antler apathy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:50 am, edited 11 times in total.
antler apathy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Rainy Shepherd

The Rules

>> for the thread

- Be respectful of yourself and others, do not insult people, do not complain about other users. Take your fighting elsewhere please
- Please stay on the topic of Rainy Shepherds, don't spam with other species or characters unless it is something along the lines of, 'my character is gonna be friends with my shepherd!'
- You are allowed to advertise and seek art, relationships, roleplays, etc on here as long as they involve shepherds

>> for adoption

- follow the guidelines given to you by the person hosting the particular adoption
- you may adopt up to five Rainy Shepherds, this number may get bigger once the species grow
- customs are awarded to staff, guest artists, and potentially prize winners, please do not ask for one

>> for owners once they have a shepherd

- gifting shepherds are allowed, selling them secondhand for any sort of currency is not
- you may edit your shepherd with the appropriate features allowed for the species (see here for guidelines)
- you may get another person to edit with the appropriate features (in case you aren't confident in your abilities or something)
- you may roleplay, get art, do art, ect, with your shepherds - highly encouraged ^^
- breedings will need to be screened by staff, once we get the breeding center up you will have to go through there. For now you need to as me privately with permission from both parties and approval from an artist doing the babies to breed.
Last edited by antler apathy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
[ oh you were a phonograph, I was a kid
I sat with an ear close, just listening
was there when the rain tapped her way down your face
you were a miracle and I was just holding your space ]

art trades: ask | commissions: closed [info here]
my character list | my deviant art
antler apathy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

The Staff

>> artists

this list hold any and all reoccurring artists (even if they are not full time). Because some of these are only part time artists, please do not ask when they're going to be making a new design, as they are free to do so when they want.

gwen trix
happy-stabby

Wind Song
○~Discover~○

Hasuki
jellykiwi

Zephayer
Staz

>> moderators

These are the users you need to listen to about posting on the thread! They are here to keep things focused and happy, so please listen to them

gwen trix
ki-neko animura

Captain Awesome
Last edited by antler apathy on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:22 am, edited 8 times in total.
antler apathy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Last edited by antler apathy on Tue May 13, 2014 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
antler apathy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby antler apathy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:26 am

Last One!
antler apathy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby antler apathy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:26 am

okay one more <3
[ oh you were a phonograph, I was a kid
I sat with an ear close, just listening
was there when the rain tapped her way down your face
you were a miracle and I was just holding your space ]

art trades: ask | commissions: closed [info here]
my character list | my deviant art
antler apathy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Rainy Shepherd [ open for posting ]

Postby yesterday. » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 am

This is very cool! Marking! :D
Last edited by yesterday. on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- they/them
- est
- probably lookin at bugs
yesterday.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Rainy Shepherd [ open for posting ]