Remove Native American Costume

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: Remove Native American Costume

Postby borzoi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 am

Scrump wrote:Could it just be changed to read the Pocahontas costume..... she's a character[ Not just used by disney]

I understand how some may feel and I'm fine with making everyone comfortable

She was a very real person that was kidnapped at a young age and forced to marry a colonizer of her people, and 'Porcahontas' is recognized by many tribes to be a racist slur now... I don't think that'd be the best change... ._.

ImageImage

❝𝐔𝐍𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐋𝐘  𝐈  𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋  𝐁𝐄  𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄,
    𝕴 𝖆𝖒 borzoi. they/she. lesbian.
     avid  mariah  carey  enthusiast.
     i love cql, shl, tgcf, mdzs, & etc.

𝐈𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐒,          discord: xueji
    𝐀𝐍𝐃   𝐔𝐍𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐍   𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑   𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓❞
borzoi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eaglespirit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 am

borzoi wrote:
Scrump wrote:Could it just be changed to read the Pocahontas costume..... she's a character[ Not just used by disney]

She was a very real person that was kidnapped at a young age and forced to marry a colonizer of her people, and 'Porcahontas' is recognized by many tribes to be a racist slur now... I don't think that'd be the best change... ._.

Sacagawea maybe?
I don't know if her true story is as sad or not?
Currently Collecting:
Cats- 8 Left - Lions - UR Lion
2013 - ??
All Advent List Pets - ??

Trades/Chicken$ stores
Rares For Trade
1C$ Each
2 For 1C$ 2C$ and Over
Eaglespirit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scrump » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:02 am

borzoi wrote:

Then how about the Sacagawea. She as a symbol of peace and shes well known. She was a strong women that even when is far as traveling with a newborn on her side
What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of.

Ohana
Scrump

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby borzoi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 am

Scrump wrote:snip

Then how about the Sacagawea. She as a symbol of peace and shes well known. She was a strong women that even when is far as traveling with a newborn on her side

Eaglespirit wrote:snip

I don't know if her true story is as sad or not?

i don't plan on getting into the story of sacagawea, but even basing it off of her: this still would have to alter the cat's wear to be based off of lemhi shoshone wear, which could also potentially change the name to something even more simple: shoshone ''costume'' or traditional wear or alternate titles like that. which would be a thousand times better and non-aggressive compared to what we have.

ImageImage

❝𝐔𝐍𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐋𝐘  𝐈  𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋  𝐁𝐄  𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄,
    𝕴 𝖆𝖒 borzoi. they/she. lesbian.
     avid  mariah  carey  enthusiast.
     i love cql, shl, tgcf, mdzs, & etc.

𝐈𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐒,          discord: xueji
    𝐀𝐍𝐃   𝐔𝐍𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐍   𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑   𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓❞
borzoi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eyesemote » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 am

Considering the sigma against Natives, I'm for removing it. To this day, Their lands are stolen and torn apart. Their history ignored and generalized. etc. If you are fine with it, then you probably aren't living near the pipeline that's poisoning your water with oil. "But it's just a cute lil outfit!" Fiction affects reality, children need to know about serious issues. Stop stereotypes.
just here for cleaning
eyesemote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby VanyaDuvainel » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 am

Reading through this thread was an emotional roller coaster. The problem has evidently presented itself as a complicated issue with multiple view points. So far, what I've gathered is this:

• There is definitely a problem with this costume as it currently is on the site. Even if it doesn't offend everyone, or even everyone of any particular culture, the points presented have brought me to the conclusion that the costume, for one, is too stereotypical and inaccurate to be respectful, and two, titled in a vague enough way so as to generalize and stereotype a wide variety of cultures.
  • The costume should not be removed from the site. This would be both unfair for those who currently own the item, and disrespectful to the culture it is supposed to depict.
  • The costume should be edited and renamed. If the items are made to be accurate in terms of visuals and name, it is much less disrespectful. Furthermore, the item being depicted as a "costume" can be offensive, though whether or not it is possible for this item to remain a costume is still subject to debate.
    • It might be possible to change the costume so it depicts a historical figure in a respectful way.
    • The costume could be made to depict a particular style of dress considered "traditional" or something to that effect, thus rendering it as proper clothing and not a costume at all.
VanyaDuvainel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ☆ Lincoln & Grover ☆ » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:19 am

I think that the costume should stay, because it is not really intentionally trying to offend anyone. A similiar thing happened in animal jam where they discontinued releasing the headdress item.
HI THERE! YOU SHOULD CHECK THESE AMAZING ADOPTABLES OUT! MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THE RULES! Image CHECK OUT THIS GIVEAWAYImage AND THIS AMAZING ADOPTION CENTER AND GIVEAWAY Image

Pet's name: Winston
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
I WAS FORMERLY MRTOPPY
☆ Lincoln & Grover ☆

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ecko » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 am

Mrtoppy wrote:I think that the costume should stay, because it is not really intentionally trying to offend anyone. A similiar thing happened in animal jam where they discontinued releasing the headdress item.

Exactly, as I mentioned earlier the images shown in example of 'we are a culture, not a costume' show people wearing outfits intending to mock, make fun of, etc. It's one thing to be upset and offended by people making fun of you, but again I bring up what about those who dress and act in a non demeaning way? At our local powwow each year plenty of people come and dress up in native american style clothing even if they are not native american and it's not a problem because no one shows up in outfits like those depicted in the images and no one is disrespectful because they come to join in and share the culture.

Plus the original poster first said that the idea of the outfit was unacceptable, but then they go on in another post to say that the outfit is perfectly fine, but just the labeling is wrong. Yes there's a lot of people out there who are offended, but there is also a lot who aren't.
Ecko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am

borzoi wrote:

I don't know. Historians are not sure what exactly happened with Pocahontas (Matowa) on board the ship. Supposedly she was married and married again. Or she never married but served as a major translator. Or she was forced all the way. I think the racism of her stems from her inaccurate portrayal. I am still reading up on this (literally right now) as I never really dug deeper before. For me the film was a message about equality. Her being a racist image was pretty far from my mind when I saw the film.

How would you feel if the outfit was more accurate to a tribe that had existed? What about dropping the "native american" label? Is there any alternatives that would work in its place?
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Metallic Dragon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 am

The issue will be discussed amongst the staff and we'll let you know when a decision is reached.
Metallic Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me