❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am

Do you have any experience writing a story at least 10-20k + and then making a sequel to it after basically putting the characters on a shelf for almost a year?

No, but the first thing I'd do is go back and read the story before I decided on doing anything with them.

How do you get to know your own characters again after putting them aside for close to a year?
I'd doodle them and look back on any old drawings/writing I had with them before, then doodle/write/ just think about them and run some scenarios through my head
My story ends on a sort of cliff hanger.. I have no IDEA how to start this next "book" so to speak XD Have you ever dealt with something similar?
Sort of. The best thing I think you can do is write an outline, just to get some ideas out, you may only keep a couple of scenes from the outline, but hopefully it'll get your creative juices flowing.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Do you have any experience writing a story at least 10-20k + and then making a sequel to it after basically putting the characters on a shelf for almost a year?

Nope. Sadly I do not have that type of experience. My Experience solely lies in dropping and picking projects back up it seems.

How do you get to know your own characters again after putting them aside for close to a year?

Honestly? I'd say read your book again. Look at how the characters interact at the end. How they got there. Then once you have that, write a test to get your head back into theirs. Maybe sit them down and ask them some questions about themselves, see how they've changed from the near year. Incorporate that into the story.

My story ends on a sort of cliff hanger.. I have no IDEA how to start this next "book" so to speak XD Have you ever dealt with something similar?

I've done that to myself on other chapters. Like Stars said above, write an outline. Put down ideas that you could bring to the table that haven't already been touched upon. Find loose ends of the story and try and wrap them up. But if you can't do all of them that's quite alright. Not all ends need to be tied into the story. What happens after whatever happens in the book?

That's honestly the best advice I think I can give you.

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Krenko » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 am

Welcome to the group, Kitt! Can we call you Kitt or is there another name you'd like to be called?

I see no one has warned you about the carrots. They're the bane of our existence!

Do you have any experience writing a story at least 10-20k + and then making a sequel to it after basically putting the characters on a shelf for almost a year? Not really. The only story I've written that has gotten that far is so cringey and I refuse to read it.

How do you get to know your own characters again after putting them aside for close to a year? I re-read what I've written for them. Their backstories, characteristics, and all that. Generally if I've really developed an interest in a story I plan to write, I type out a good bit about it and the characters before I start writing the actual story.

My story ends on a sort of cliff hanger.. I have no IDEA how to start this next "book" so to speak XD Have you ever dealt with something similar? I have no idea how to start anything. I say just jump right in, you can revise later. Read the ending, plan out some ideas for what happens next, and then just jump right into the writing step.
doot doot
Krenko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 pm

winged-backpack wrote:@Ranger
I actually sort of finished the story, but I'm not 100% happy or completely done with it yet. Obviously cause of the subject matter I can't exactly post it here or anything.
Ah, nice!! Well you've got a start, at least cx Think you're gonna end up rewriting it, or's it just need a heavy dose of editing? c:

winged-backpack wrote:I've also not been writing a whole lot since the other day because I've been revising for my mock exams next week, and I started teaching myself to play guitar because I left my ukulele at dad's (aka. procrastinating) ^^'
You got exams coming up? Wuh-oh, good luck!
Nice!! My dad likes to pretend he can play the ukulele. He showed off his "skills" in front of our Swiss friends who were in the country on holiday, so they gave him a 'how to play the ukulele' guide for Christmas! 😂

kittncakes wrote:Hey there!

I'm new to this thread and it looks lovely so I thought I'd just pop in! Recently, I've decided to write a backstory for all my characters on toyhouse. I don't want it to be a full length story though... more like a semi-detailed recap of the past and a brief explanation of the present.

I've picked out a personality for the character I'm working on developing right now. I found it on this great list of traits here and picking 3 helped me get an idea of how my character comes across. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for coming up with backstories or if you know of any huge lists (like the one I linked) that might help. You can view my character's page here. It's currently a work in progress. ^^
Kia ora, welcome along! Watch out for carrots!
Tbh I let most of my characters write their own backstories, so that's probably not much help, sorry c': I'll check those links out soon! c:

No O_O

watch me repeat what everyone else just said I would reread everything you've got on them. The story, character-sheets, etc. Everything! c:

Dude, I can't even finish things. Of course not XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winterglaze » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:33 am

I need someone's help! I have to write a mystery for a school project but I need help with the plot. My topic is a murder on a cruise. The story is about a 16-year-old girl named Kylona who's going on a cruise with her parents and two best friends. Everything is going great until she hears that there has been a murder on the cruise. She teams up with her friends to try to find out who it is. Before I write the story I need to know who the murderer is and what is their motive. I also need clues and stuff to lead up to that. I never wrote a mystery before so can someone please help me figure out what I should do?
|Genderfluid|they/them|♊️|Lesbian|ESTP|ambivert|

wattpad/Instagram/twitter/Quotev/https://www.reddit.com/user/winter_glaze/[/url]
winterglaze

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am

winterglaze wrote:I need someone's help! I have to write a mystery for a school project but I need help with the plot. My topic is a murder on a cruise. The story is about a 16-year-old girl named Kylona who's going on a cruise with her parents and two best friends. Everything is going great until she hears that there has been a murder on the cruise. She teams up with her friends to try to find out who it is. Before I write the story I need to know who the murderer is and what is their motive. I also need clues and stuff to lead up to that. I never wrote a mystery before so can someone please help me figure out what I should do?

I don't write a whole lot of mysteries, so I may not be a lot of help, but the best tip I've seen for writing mysteries is to plot the story backwards. Begin with the murderer and motive, then come up with the clues. The order you create plot points in should be the opposite of the order your characters run into them.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ptolemaea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am

winterglaze wrote:I need someone's help! I have to write a mystery for a school project but I need help with the plot. My topic is a murder on a cruise. The story is about a 16-year-old girl named Kylona who's going on a cruise with her parents and two best friends. Everything is going great until she hears that there has been a murder on the cruise. She teams up with her friends to try to find out who it is. Before I write the story I need to know who the murderer is and what is their motive. I also need clues and stuff to lead up to that. I never wrote a mystery before so can someone please help me figure out what I should do?

Maybe.... it was the friend? Like, they wanted some sort of power?
ptolemaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gay.exe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 pm

writing a story and it's like

one side of me is like "cute, petite, yet powerful young woman with x handsome young man" and the other part of me is like "but what if it was g ay"
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
wow hey there im gay and i like tea
i also like cats and blankets and warm showers
did i mention i like tea
how do people pick a favorite color
im vvvv chill so dont be afraid to confront me
i love photography and nature and also cats
please hmu if you need anything or just wanna chat
i love to gift so dont be surprised if you get gifted by me
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

eh whatever pronouns i dont really care
lesbian, but prefers the term gay !!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
` credit ` link ` link ` link ` link ` link ` link ` link ` link
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
are you a forty-five degree angle because you're a cutie
oh i have pimples and im mediocre at best
give me tea
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
gay.exe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Krenko » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

gay.exe wrote:writing a story and it's like

one side of me is like "cute, petite, yet powerful young woman with x handsome young man" and the other part of me is like "but what if it was g ay"

The best sentence. :lol:

@Winterglaze, I have no bits of advice to give you, but if you want more mystery things to get inspiration I suggest watching Sherlock. ;) . Why are the girl and her friends trying to solve the mystery?
doot doot
Krenko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:22 am

Aight. I'm alive, and I'm feeling the helper mode activate. Imma throw a bunch of questions at you, so don't panic.
Was the murder on purpose?
Was the murder an accident?
Was it one, or multiple murderers?
What kind of cruise is this?
What was the murder weapon?
How might the murderer try to cover their tracks?
What happened when people saw the murder?
Why is Kylona invested in the murderer?
Was the murdered a known person?
Does the murderer keep going?
Will Kylona and her friends be threatened by the murderer?
How much about investigating does Kylona know?
How much about investigating does Kylona understand?
How do Kylona's parents feel about their daughter going on a Scooby-Doo chase?
How does the crew attempt to handle the situation?
How, exactly, does Kylona find out about the murder?
Tell me, how do you feel? And remember, this is for science, so please be honest ;)

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets