❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby SilentMelody » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:57 am

what's some of the best writing advice you've received/read?

when i met an author in person (a friend's aunt), she told me to think of the story and perhaps even write down ideas for the story before actually writing it on a whim. it's best to think things through before putting your pen to your paper, and that's what i try to do now.

she also taught me a lot about plot and characters, so that effected my writing immensely.
mel | adult | she/her | bi

toyhouse - silentmelody
admin/staff for dcay on cs

RBT in ABA therapy for autism
B.S. in psychological sciences

low activity, but i still check my pms!
SilentMelody

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winchester's Wolf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:08 am

@Range: I just realized that it sounded like one of the problems that the Mr. Herringbone is going thought with his ship. Considering that Abyss is some sort of dragon.. cx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What's some of the best writing advice you've received/read?
I've got a few. Small amounts. But I was in a writing club at my school and they said never to use "I'm just saying" because it just ruins the whole point of the story. Then I gave myself some advise of not to use all caps if someone's yelling. However I still do it though.
Then there's wildcat's advice about music.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I sometimes use name generators. Which will take me FOREVER just to do because of the name not sounding right due to their personality or looks. I know its wrong for the names being based on looks, but its just weird for me to look at one of my friends and say "No, you look more like a Tyler" or something along those lines. I actually did that to one of my friends and they just laughed. Haha.. Ha...

And as for stick keys, I just press down on it until I can use that letter XD
On my Acer Laptop (Which is very old ) I have the "T" key missing because of my brother, but its still usable.. Somehow.

Sig is a wip <3
Winchester's Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:00 am

Write for yourself.
Edit: also I remembered another thing that I read at one point: "Name your book like it's baby, but not like it's your baby."
Last edited by anxious ghost on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:02 am

Um . . . . Probably to just "keep doing it."

sparrow; wrote:Thanks for your help with last names! I'll take a look at the last name generators, and I might do something based on what they've done (possibly using the language I'm creating)

I know this has already been answered by a few people, but I ahve something to add; if you look at your bookshelf (or someone else's) and read the last (or first) names of the authors, that could help.
Then again, it might not, depending on where your story is set. But that's what I'll do sometimes.

Moriarty x. wrote:What's some of the best writing advice you've received/read?
Write for yourself.

Nice.
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:22 am

Moriarty x. wrote:What's some of the best writing advice you've received/read?
Write for yourself.

This is true for all art.
But it's also okay to keep other people in mind like fans and friends, if you want to.
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 am

Here's the most pretentious-sounding advice that I could find on the Internet!
    "Here are the two states in which you may exist: person who writes, or person who does not. If you write: you are a writer. If you do not write: you are not."
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yubel Fated » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Do what makes you comfortable and happy. Writing for yourself is a great thing and you shouldn't be worried about the viewcount. As long as you have fun doing it do it! JUST DOO IIIIIT (My mom gave me this advice and I read it how she said it lmao)

@Winchester Though funnily enough my old Laptop, whom I named Gilbert, had the L key missing due to me breaking it off bc it wouldn't press right. I still have that key in my 3DS case strangely. Despite this I could still press the key due to the button within the underkey. maybe that's the same thing you experienced?

I'm not your protagonist I'm not even my own
I don't know anything I don't even know what I don't know

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

╔══════════════╗
Name: Shadow
Profile: Judai/Jaden Yuki
Previous: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Call me anything though! So be creative!
~Credit~
╚══════════════╝

And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees

The artificial way the sunlight bounces off of
g̸̢̮̥̏͝l̷͔̘͍̑̍͝ì̶̛̠̖̒t̸̢̰̩̀̔̾̕c̴̨̘͌̄̈́̿h̶̡͙͔̫̆͜͝í̴̝̎͛̀n̵̡̘̰̈́̔ḡ̷̢̨̫̬̓̀ leaves

────────────────

Yubel Fated

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks Worst! I had thought of some of those, but wasn't sure how to take the key off or anything :p Thanks~! ^-^

I soak up everything I can, so I don't think I could pick haha XP

Winchester's Wolf wrote:@Range: I just realized that it sounded like one of the problems that the Mr. Herringbone is going thought with his ship. Considering that Abyss is some sort of dragon.. cx

~snip~
Ha ha, it does too! XD

Winchester's Wolf wrote:~snip~
I sometimes use name generators. Which will take me FOREVER just to do because of the name not sounding right due to their personality or looks. I know its wrong for the names being based on looks, but its just weird for me to look at one of my friends and say "No, you look more like a Tyler" or something along those lines. I actually did that to one of my friends and they just laughed. Haha.. Ha...

And as for stick keys, I just press down on it until I can use that letter XD
On my Acer Laptop (Which is very old ) I have the "T" key missing because of my brother, but its still usable.. Somehow.[/size]
But whether or not they look like the name adds into whether it fits them or not! aka I do that too XD

Lol, I tried that, and it worked properly for maybe two minutes XD I think maybe it has fluff or something jammed under it... *glares at fiddliest brother*
And woah, it still works? That's weird....

WinterSerperior wrote:~snip~

Do what makes you comfortable and happy. Writing for yourself is a great thing and you shouldn't be worried about the viewcount. As long as you have fun doing it do it! JUST DOO IIIIIT (My mom gave me this advice and I read it how she said it lmao)

~snip~
aaaaa that meme's great
I love that meme XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Everyone has such great writing advice, but I'm not sure what to say. I've never been given amazingly good advice... nobody who knows I like writing has actually ever given me advice like that. My family and friends don't write and my teachers don't know I like writing.

Edit; On my computer, the up and down arrow keys are stuck. It's weirdly irritating, but not too bad really.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

🍉

Postby food ☕️ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:27 am

I've encountered a bit of a dilemma and was hoping some of you might be able to impart upon me some of your wisdom.

I wish to be racially inclusive in my stories, however my current project takes place in Romania during the 1400s. Other than neighboring countries and enemies, I don't know how I'd be able to introduce other nationalities and races without it seeming far-fetched and desperate. I was wondering what any of you guys might think of what to do. Should I keep the community strictly Romanian, or do you have ideas on how to include others? It'd be of great help.
So inactive that the images in my signature are outdated; decided to just put down some purple text as a replacement. I do have a special place in my heart for the connections I've made in the site so please hmu if you're interested in reconnecting, I'd love to move conversations to Discord.

food | lawful good | asexual/aromantic | they/them | in college (help)
food ☕️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me