❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon May 22, 2017 7:51 am

Since we seem to be talking about synesthesia a lot, I looked up an article ((One I used for a paper forever ago on the subject)) for those who might be a little confused. It's more than just seeing colors with sound, but more like when one of the five senses picks up on something, one or more of the others send signals to the brain at the same time. This can be things like "see a lamp, feel something poke your arm" or "taste vanilla ice cream, hear a middle C on the trumpet" The article explains it really well, though it can get kinda science-y after the first section. Just thought it might help people with the question posed earlier.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Mon May 22, 2017 7:55 am

BucketORandomness wrote:Since we seem to be talking about synesthesia a lot, I looked up an article ((One I used for a paper forever ago on the subject)) for those who might be a little confused. It's more than just seeing colors with sound, but more like when one of the five senses picks up on something, one or more of the others send signals to the brain at the same time. This can be things like "see a lamp, feel something poke your arm" or "taste vanilla ice cream, hear a middle C on the trumpet" The article explains it really well, though it can get kinda science-y after the first section. Just thought it might help people with the question posed earlier.

Thanks for explaining this better than I did. I'm only really familiar with the kind my mum has so I couldn't really explain it properly ^^'

I know that the character of Sheldon Cooper in the Big Bang Theory has it, because he sees numbers as having colours (it's in the episode where he and Raj find the asteroid and name it after Amy)...not really relevant to writing, but I guess it's a point that you could have a character with the condition.

By the way, if anyone ever wanted to have a character who experiences aphantasia, feel free to PM me (not only o I can help you write it accurately but because I like talking about it, it makes me feel less bad about it)
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby L.V.L » Mon May 22, 2017 3:12 pm

*coughs and stumbles and chokes*
    what just happened
    ten minutes writing - things get serious-ish ._.

oh and hi guys, I'm not dead o.o
L.V.L

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Speaking of aphantasia (having no ability to visualise imagery in your head), do any of you have it? Or do you have really vivid, active imaginations, or even synaesthesia (seeing colours when you hear music, and other similar sensations where the senses get mixed up)? How does your imagination impact your writing?
I don't even know. Some days I'm really visual, and other days I can't picture anything.

Also, there's a possible username change in my future
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Klain » Mon May 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Ahhh! c: Just decide to go outside in the garden and write something. Today's weather is so beautyful!
First I had the problem that I have no idea how to continue with the one story so I gave up. I opend the other story and I literally can't stop writing ! ^.^

EDIT

I just realized that I start every paragraph with I. It annoys me. I'm really trying to start with another word, but no. Ugh. Do you have the same 'problem' sometimes? What are you doing that this sin't happeing (to much)?
Klain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Tue May 23, 2017 12:39 am

Klain wrote:
I just realized that I start every paragraph with I. It annoys me. I'm really trying to start with another word, but no. Ugh. Do you have the same 'problem' sometimes? What are you doing that this sin't happeing (to much)?

I used to do this all the time. I started going back and rewording the sentences. If you send a paragraph to me in a PM, I can give you a few better tips! (It's easier if I can use an example to really narrow the focus of tips for you)

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 am

Klain wrote:I just realized that I start every paragraph with I. It annoys me. I'm really trying to start with another word, but no. Ugh. Do you have the same 'problem' sometimes? What are you doing that this sin't happeing (to much)?
[/size]

If it's a first draft, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just get your whole story written out and then go back afterwards and see f you can rephrase things. It's very difficult to get over doing this when you're writing in 1st person but in a first daft, it's acceptable. I sometimes have the same problem with starting sentences with "the", which is more easily overcome I think.
I try to do some exercises where I'll write out some sentences with the "problem" then underneath I'll try to write out 2/3 different ways of phrasing it. You could try that, but as I said: first drafts are where you can make your "mistakes", so I wouldn't worry about it until you've got the whole thing written out.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 am

Speaking of aphantasia (having no ability to visualise imagery in your head), do any of you have it? Or do you have really vivid, active imaginations, or even synaesthesia (seeing colours when you hear music, and other similar sensations where the senses get mixed up)? How does your imagination impact your writing?

I absolutely have a vivid, active imagination. I may have something like synthesia (not really how you described it though), or not, probably not, but it's possible, I don't know.
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 am

L.V.L wrote:
    *coughs and stumbles and chokes*
    what just happened
    ten minutes writing - things get serious-ish ._.

oh and hi guys, I'm not dead o.o

Thank goodness you're alive! We were going to call the police. And sheesh, that did get serious. It was oddly sweet, though.

Klain wrote:A

Like Winged said, it doesn't matter in the first draft, but when you're trying to revise and redraft, then you should definitely pay attention to the little stylistic/flow things. Just think of all the ways you could rephrase a sentence without making it sound weird--a sentence like "I punch the table" could be adapted to "My fist smashes into the table" but not "Into the table punches my fist". Just be aware of it, and you'll do fine.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 am

Found this for anyone who may need the reminder >^.^<