❛ the lazy writers ❜

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 am

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:What is your favorite abrupt ending or catastrophe you've watched/read?
Honestly I don't like abrupt endings, I prefer having everything tidied up and all wrapped up into a good ending. I simply feel unsatisfied or cheated even when it ends with no suitable conclusion.

I agree with this. It kind of makes the writing seem rushed or lazy if a book ends abruptly or if something suddenly happens for NO particular reason!!! Like at the end. Of. The. Death. Cure. AH!
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hellebore » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Do you think that people should force themselves to write, regardless of writer's block and lack of motivations, or do you think people should only have to write when they're inspired?
Forcing the writing never works for anyone until it does. Authors will tell you this too. If you force yourself to write a certain amount every day, it will become habit, and therefore cease to be forced. However, if the story is something you don't feel connected with, you shouldn't be making yourself create it.

What is your opinion on putting a little of yourself into a character?
I personally do not find that purposefully putting some of myself into a character makes me more connected. I never add parts of myself, yet I am connected to them immensely and can feel what they feel. In fact, it has helped me to see things through the perspectives of others and has encouraged my own empathy.

Do you think it's okay for writers to add elements to their stories and characters even if the plot doesn't need them? (E.g., the protagonist has pink hair.)
I don't really get the point of the example, as that's just a character's appearance. As for the question alone, I don't think that there should be random scenes that deviate from and lack a contribution to the plot. However, depending on the intention of the writer, I think including details that do not contribute to the plot can still enrich the story and writing. There is also nothing wrong with adding details to a character that are irrelevant to the story, as long as they aren't all bared. For example, if a character is allergic to apples but that has no place in the plot, that's fine as long as it isn't randomly/irrelevantly included in the story. Those details simply make them more human, better developed, and easier to connect with as the writer.
Last edited by hellebore on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHARACTER CLEAROUT
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Please let me know if I overpay a lot in trades!! I probably don't know!
Only returning for trades
Chronically ill but sword in hand
Armed but warm-hearted

xxxxxxx about | my : sweets
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
playing HZD between naps ██████★
bats | flowers | moths ★█████
▬▬▬▬▬★▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hellebore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:14 pm

I have so many ideas for stories but they're just like one line of dialogue so I can't do anything with them *cries*

SilverCrescentMoon wrote:-snip-
I agree with this. It kind of makes the writing seem rushed or lazy if a book ends abruptly or if something suddenly happens for NO particular reason!!! Like at the end. Of. The. Death. Cure. AH!

YES I CAN'T AGREE MORE.
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 pm

GreywarenX wrote:I have so many ideas for stories but they're just like one line of dialogue so I can't do anything with them *cries*

Same oh my gosh

YES I CAN'T AGREE MORE.

YES SOMEONE GETS ME
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sciencin' » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 pm

What is your favorite abrupt ending or catastrophe you've watched/read?
Tau Zero. Wasn't even a contest.
The book is a hard science fiction book that deals with a spaceship with a type of propulsion system that accelerates for half its journey and then decelerates for the other half- only the engine gets broken and they're stuck accelerating towards the speed of light. They can't stop, they can't fix the engine, and due to the fact that they're going so fast, after a while the effects of relativistic speed start causing extreme time dilation (if you travel very close to the speed of light, time for you will seem to slow down, and time everywhere else will appear to speed up- if you were capable of getting to light speed, which is physically impossible, time for you would appear to stand still for every outside observer while to you time would not exist and you would think you were getting from point A to point B instantly). It focuses mostly on the 100 people on board and how it affects them- the psychological/social aspect, rather than the science-y aspect of it. It gets a bit depressing when they realize that so much time has passed in the outside universe that the entire human race has certainly died out, and then things start going south when they literally make it to the point where the universe stops expanding and starts imploding and they realize they're headed towards the 'big crunch' end of the universe. The entire book was wrapped up in the course of... oh, ten, twenty pages, maybe less? I don't have it on hand at the moment. I'm not going to give spoilers in case anyone's actually going to go read this amazing book (it's under 200 pages but please don't let this deceive you, the font in mine was teeny-tiny and there's some pretty heavy stuff and lots of technobabble and fancy words) but I read the ending at school and it was embarrassing as heck because I'll admit my eyes got watery. *coughs* I don't cry. that's a lie but anyways If you can wrap up a book in under twenty pages so well that it makes the reader cry, and not because you just murdered every single character in the most depressing way, you know you wrote a good ending.

i have rats. i will forfeit all my digital possessions to own digital rats. give me your rats. trade me your rats. i will treasure them.
Sciencin'

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:09 pm

What is your favorite abrupt ending or catastrophe you've watched/read?
I've mentioned this book before, but it's the poem one where all of them are connected and give backstory to the same event, but you have to read it different ways to actually find out why the town's all dead

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm

What is your favourite abrupt ending or catastrophe you've read?
Cliff-hangers kill me.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby L.V.L » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:32 am

How many of you have started or is doing the 100 One-Shot Challenge?
    Could you all send me your links to your threads, I need a good read when I'm at school! <3
female | queer | she/her | employed | cat + dog mom | PST Zone

I play these other games - add me!
Ovipets | Flight Rising | Lioden

Feel like supporting my hoards - send me a trade!
❄️ W: Wishlist | H: Pets, Items, C$ ❄️
L.V.L

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Klain » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 am

L.V.L wrote:
    How many of you have started or is doing the 100 One-Shot Challenge?
    Could you all send me your links to your threads, I need a good read when I'm at school! <3

I started two storys the last days and I have some ideas in my head left. Hehe. I can't post them here on CS, because I don't write in English ^^' :c
Reading while school... :roll:
Klain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:06 am

SilverCrescentMoon wrote:
TheSongOfTheStars wrote:What is your favorite abrupt ending or catastrophe you've watched/read?
Honestly I don't like abrupt endings, I prefer having everything tidied up and all wrapped up into a good ending. I simply feel unsatisfied or cheated even when it ends with no suitable conclusion.

I'm not a big fan either, but it can be done well. Although I can't think of a really good example right now.
In the finale of "Everybody Hates Chris", Chris took a test where he really needed to pass for his future to go well. The last scene had one of the few times the family truly bonded, and then the mom opened the letter which would tell them what his score is. He asked "So what's it say?" and the screen went black. I've always had mixed feelings about that ending, but it's a catastrophic ending example.

[bHow many of you have started or is doing the 100 One-Shot Challenge?
Could you all send me your links to your threads, I need a good read when I'm at school! <3][/b]

Honestly, I'm not inspired by it.
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups