❛ the lazy writers ❜

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜

Postby winged-backpack » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 pm

How far do you think a writer should take their readers' advice?

I think the reader should matter to the writer, but not to the extent where they're just being told what to do. In my opinion, if a reader suggests something that makes sense to you, and you agree that it will improve your writing then you should go for it but if they suggest something that makes you say "no, that's not what I want" then don't do it. But you should take your audience's opinion into account so that you can write for yourself but also appeal to others as well. ^^
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL
Do you think that a story/novel/book needs to have a theme?
Uh, it depends on what you mean. I feel like theme is there whether you intentionally put it in or not. Themes are what it's about, the theme could be as simple as 'cats', or 'beach'.
If you mean moral, yeah, most of the time it's best to have one, for a variety of reasons. It makes it easier to balance the characters' moral centers, it gives the audience something to think about, etc.
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CJClaire » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:36 am

I think that it depends. Obviously, if the reader can't understand what is happening in the story, then something should need to change. But the point of writing (in my opinion) is to tell a story that you want to tell and to write for yourself. So I don't think that a writer should listen to advice on the plot or the characterization if they feel like like they have done what they want to do. I'm not sure that makes sense, but that's how I see it.

But I also feel like readers have good insight because they don't have the story in their brain and so they can see it from a non-biased view and give an honest opinion, and that can be really helpful.
Hi! I'm CJ! I use she/her pronouns. I'm an adult.
I play ice hockey!
i'm working on publishing a YA urban fantasy novel, and am looking for beta readers, lmk if you are interested :3

toyhou.se
artfight
Art Shop
art instagram
CJClaire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 am

If your reader notices something wrong with the text (e.g. purple prose), you look over the text, and you agree with their criticism, then you should probably try to fix that issue. If a bunch of readers all notice the same problem (e.g. the protagonist is flat and your readers want her to die), you should fix it, even if you don't necessarily agree. If someone is just being rude and/or is making a bunch of fake accounts to be rude, then ignore them. If one person has an opinion that you disagree with and multiple other readers disagree with them too, ignore them. Remember that readers are biased.

But overall, you should probably listen to reader's advice; after all, if you're not willing to listen to advice, then you shouldn't post on a public forum.
Ranger of the North wrote:I mean, everyone has their own opinion, and they often clash. A writer could get feedback on a passage they wrote saying: 'beautifully worded; it's sheer poetry and I pictured everything perfectly. I love it!' and, on the same piece, have someone saying: 'it's nice, but you used too much "fluff". Tone it down and include more prose.'
*is completely puzzled*

Is this about something you wrote? We could probably look it over!
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:16 am

I agree with Backpack. See if what the reader suggested fits and if you like it keep it. There's a difference between constructive criticism and just downright disparaging comments; constructive being "This is a bit unclear, maybe add a bit more description to the scene" and unhelpful being "Your characters names are stupid and childish." But either way, it's your story, if you're happy with the way it is, then you don't have to listen to anybody.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks for all the responses, people! >^.^< Life can sometimes be hard to work out, so having you guys' thoughts on that are good to keep in mind XP

The Worst Username wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:I mean, everyone has their own opinion, and they often clash. A writer could get feedback on a passage they wrote saying: 'beautifully worded; it's sheer poetry and I pictured everything perfectly. I love it!' and, on the same piece, have someone saying: 'it's nice, but you used too much "fluff". Tone it down and include more prose.'
*is completely puzzled*

Is this about something you wrote? We could probably look it over!
Oh, no, I actually mainly made it up tbh XD I have seen a lot of stories online, though, where people say "OMG THIS IS AMAZING!! I LOVE IT!! YOU'RE MY FAVOURITE WRITER EVER!!" and I'm like "...yeah, it's really great, but it's got quite a few mistakes..." (oops, picky picky) XD And-d-d-d, in a book I read called Good Wives, one of the characters is a writer, and she wants to get a book pulished but all her readers give her contradicting advice, so she doesn't know who to listen to. She ends up trying to please everyone, and ruining the story XD I just don't want to ever make a mistake like that, really :9 Idk, I feel like it's kinda hard to explain myself atm BRAIN DON'T FAIL ME NOW
But thanks for the offer! :D <3
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:04 am

Code: Select all
[b]How much do your characters swear when they're angry?[/b]
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 am

How much do your characters swear when they're angry?
I don't actually write any swearing, but I can tell you that Mack does a LOT even when she's not angry. And Spencer my innocent cinnamon roll swears a little bit.
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kolechia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:10 am

How much do your characters swear when they're angry?

Sergiu doesn't really swear...at all. If he swears you know the world is about to end or something- He will either cut himself off, say a word that sounds like it or just use a different word instead. He is too much of a innocent lil bean coward to swear.

Victor on the other hand curses like a sailor. I find this amusing as he is very well-spoken and posh.
xxx
.✦ Charlie - He/They - Adult ✦.

.✦ There's No Night Without Stars ✦.

Hello! I don't tend to use this site much anymore but I'll still pop on every now and then. I hope to make some new friends regardless.
xxx
kolechia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cedarrsage » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 am

I read lazy writers hello friends I am here