❛ the lazy writers ❜

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 am

((Sorry, @Flynn. I have no idea how I'd answer that question at all >.<))
Do you think that people should force themselves to write, regardless of writer's block and lack of motivations, or do you think people should only have to write when they're inspired?
I know that a writer's best work comes out of writing from inspiration, but to only write when you have inspiration would mean that your writing is sporadic and sometimes nothing happens for a while between updates. I also know the WB is a problem, but that making yourself write can sometimes forcibly break down the mental block. Unfortunately, quality of writing for that solution is not as great as when you're inspired. The way I've started doing it is I start a story when I have the inspiration. If When WB hits, I start with a "flow of consciousness" journal thing where you write about whatever comes to mind ((your day, your pets, the weather)) and then start writing on something I don't feel particularly attached to before coming back to my story. It sounds a bit round-about, but it's working so far.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:30 am

Is there any way to wrote a good anti-climax?
Sorry, not sure I really understand what you mean.

Do you think that people should force themselves to write, regardless of writer's block and lack of motivations, or do you think people should only have to write when they're inspired?
I think when you have wb, you should go to a quiet, serene place and just work through the block, or wherever you are stuck, gradually. Of course, if you're lazy like me, you won't do that If you only write when you're inspired, its going to be a very long time before you complete your story.
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:02 am

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but I really don't get super motivated very often, so I need to force myself to work or nothing will ever happen. I hope I will grow more disciplined with time and that I can write quality without inspiration.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:56 am

It sort of depends on whether forcing yourself to write is gonna produce quality work, you know? If you force yourself to write something and it turns out terrible, then you might get dissuaded from writing altogether!
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CJClaire » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:18 am

I don't think people should force themselves to write something that they are passionate about. Sometimes you just don't have the motivation, and forcing yourself to write it can sometimes totally ruin it. BUT then again, if you have writer's block, sometimes the best thing is to push through it and keep writing. I tend to do little drabbles or parts of challenges when I have writer's block, because often I get my "writer's brain" working when I do little exercises like that.

But while I say that, I do think that people should write at other times then when they are inspired. Practice is what makes people good at writing, even if it's not your big project or your novel idea that you've had for years. Sometimes you need to sit down and write off of a prompt or something. I found that actually writing fanfiction was best for me when I wanted to put some effort into something, but I didn't have the skill or inspiration at the moment to write on my novel. (I say fanfiction because for me, it was nice not having to worry about creating characters to do something like that) But people only improve when they practice, so I think it is important, if you want to be a really good writer, to sit down and write sometimes even when you don't feel inspired. ANd I don't mean write when you don't want to write, because then you might grow to hate it or it might feel tedious rather than fun, and that's not good.

And as my favorite poster in my room says: "The first step in writing a good book: Giving yourself permission to write a bad book."

Don't feel pressured to write good things all the time. You have to write garbage to eventually write gold. (Which is really cheesy and makes very little sense oops).

So yeah, basically, I think people should write, but they don't have to write something that they can't be inspired for at that moment. If that makes sense? Hopefully it does.

:)
Hi! I'm CJ! I use she/her pronouns. I'm an adult.
I play ice hockey!
i'm working on publishing a YA urban fantasy novel, and am looking for beta readers, lmk if you are interested :3

toyhou.se
artfight
Art Shop
art instagram
CJClaire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Pirate Dragon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 am

HA HA. NOT DEAD.
I'm going to try to post something once every day here to be more active.

@CJClaire - I actually really like that quote, thanks for bringing it up!

What is your opinion on putting a little of yourself into a character?
I strongly encourage it. It makes you more attached to the character and usually more inspired. Just don't put the same part of you into every character.

What are some cliches that irk you while reading?
Geeze, I don't know, I'd usually just know if I saw it. I think one of my worst favorites is just the overly cliche teenage archetypes (sassy girl, egocentric jock, dumb parent, etc.) and I can't stand plots that can be seen a mile away.

Do you think it's okay for writers to add elements to their stories and characters even if the plot doesn't need them? (E.g., the protagonist has pink hair.)
(I answered this on Inklings so I'm just going to copy paste)
I think it largely depends on the mood and style the writer is trying to display. For example, some comedians will give characters ridiculous traits or characteristics because it makes the whole scenario of the book seem childish. Some stories have cliche (or not always cliche) backstories and miseries because it gives a somber mood to the person and situation. If the protagonist has pink hair and the story is meant to be an adventurous journey, maybe the hair ties into how the book is treated. It really depends on how the writer wants their piece to be treated.
((A lot of my characters have weird, unnatural hair colors, strange eyes, and magic because I want my pieces to be treated as more of a modern day fantasy type thing.))

Is there any way to write a good anti-climax?
Sure! If there's a death maybe, or if the character actually looses. Maybe the character's victory goes too far (death of villain perhaps). There can be a good anti-climax as long as the reader is still satisfied with the end in some way (but does that make it an anti-climax then?)

Oh, and I'm going to start posting a mini series here that I'v been working on! I'll link it when I post it. I'm going to be putting up a short piece every couple of days.
I'm not really active here anymore. Please don't ask for my pets or OCs!
The Pirate Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 am

ELECT ALL
I think it's better to wait for inspiration. But everyone should learn to at least semi-force themselves to write, if it's for a job. But if you force yourself you may as well not write at all, because the final product won't really be yours. Of course this depends on the 'kind' of forcing, I guess, or what mood you're in. I also don't know everyone's situations, so...
A lot of people have conditions that make it almost impossible to focus, and can hardly ever write even if they love it or are wonderful at it. I'd say those people are writers. Even without that, pkenty of people can't wrote or do art without at least alittle inspiration. It's never agood idea to make assumptions about people.

Okay, to answer my own question, it entirely depends on the kind of story. Perhaps you're writing a humorous parody, an anti-clinax could be used for humor and to get a message across as parodies bornally do. Or perhaps you can use them to teach lessons. There are probably plenty of other examples I can't think of, too.
However obviously anit-climaxes areb't nesscessarily 'good', you want to try to avoid them. And anti-climaxes in most types of stories, simply for the sake of joke with no other motive are almost always going to fail.
Code: Select all
What is your favorite abrupt ending or catastrophe you've watched/read?

(A catastrophe is an ending where you're not sure what happened/what's going to happen.)
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 am

@Song congrats!

@Claire I really like that quote

Pfft. I think you've gotta figure out what works best for you. Sometimes I can just sit down and write, and other times, I stare at the screen. It depends on the person.

Oh, ya know, that time when my two favorite characters were being chased by robot copies of their team, but then HE WAS A ROBOT TOO so she killed him and teamed up with the only other human left of the team to go into a computer simulation of your life, but with one regret erased and in it the first lady was just showed as A GRAVE and the other was apparently with the CRAZY PSYCHO who betrayed and tried to kill everyone in season one and later got possessed. And then everything was HYDRA and it was the season finale.
And I totally didn't cry watching it. Sorry for the long rant, that episode hurt me.

In honor of my precious Kritanta's birthday, I'm gonna write a thing about one of his birthdays back when his mom wasn't dead yet.
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 am

Honestly I don't like abrupt endings, I prefer having everything tidied up and all wrapped up into a good ending. I simply feel unsatisfied or cheated even when it ends with no suitable conclusion.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 am

Well. Honestly, I would have to say that "forcing" wouldn't work for my kind of writing. If I can sit there and get enough words out that suddenly I'll be plodding along merrily, then cool! But most of the time, if I can't, then I . . . can't. Y'know?
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me