❛ the lazy writers ❜

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Eeeeeee I finished the 100 Scene challenge! After nearly... two years. Oh.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CJClaire » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Do you think it's okay for writers to add elements to their stories and characters even if the plot doesn't need them? (E.g., the protagonist has pink hair.)

I think it's really important for writes to do this! Otherwise you end up with flat characters that don't have a strong personality, and that really kind of sucks? My main character Ben has purple hair for no reason other than it's just how I pictured him. :)

What is your opinion on putting a little of yourself into a character?

I think it's fine. It helps people write some times and connect more with their characters, so I think it's fine. :0

@TheSongOfTheStars Yay! That's awesome! That's a lot of dedication and work and the fact that you stuck with it for so long is awesome!!! Man, I need to catch up on my 100 prompt challenge that i'm doing too, hahaha
Hi! I'm CJ! I use she/her pronouns. I'm an adult.
I play ice hockey!
i'm working on publishing a YA urban fantasy novel, and am looking for beta readers, lmk if you are interested :3

toyhou.se
artfight
Art Shop
art instagram
CJClaire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby demonteeth » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't feel like everything should have a super deep meaning or whatever. IMO it takes away the fun of just making whatever you want without incorporating plot points into what the character looks like and adding stress to yourself. Plot should be saved for plot, not character.
demonteeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:15 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Eeeeeee I finished the 100 Scene challenge! After nearly... two years. Oh.

Oh wow, that's amazing!! Congratulations!! :D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Well, I have to admit that one thing I like to do if my story is set in Europe is making at least one character a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest. xD It's just a bit odd to me that there are so many European fictional characters and none of them have any thoughts about Eurovision. I mean, it's Europe... One of your characters is bound to love, or hate, or love to hate this wonderfully ridiculous contest.

I suppose that doesn't really answer the question though. :lol: Well, like others have said it makes writing a bit easier and well, maybe also more enjoyable for the reader? If you are passionate about something it'll show through the character and that's a good thing if you think about it.
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝
x➤ My OC Erik, I love to write stories
x➤ Sasha - ISFJ - vegan - adult
x➤ Proud tea drinker and cat lover
x➤ Feel free to send me a message! ©

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:05 am

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Eeeeeee I finished the 100 Scene challenge! After nearly... two years. Oh.

What the heck? Song, that's absolutely amazing. I don't think anyone else has finished the challenge--not that I've seen, anyhow.
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 am

CODE: SELECT ALL
What are some cliches that irk you while reading?
A lot, but almost all of them depend on the situation.
I usually am not a fan of acting like the status quo is God.
Or reusing the same personalities over and over.
Or all girls are either tomboys or girly, but that's a cliche people believe in real life too.
I'll have to look up my old top ten worst cliches list.
Intentionally? I don't do it or encourage it, mostly. Maybe a little. It depends on what you mean by 'yourself'. Situations, sickness, talents, etc are fine. Personality traits...? Maybe a little, but it realky depends on context. Unintentionally? In small doses.
To me basing a character off a person makes the character feel like he or she is less of a person in his or her own right.
But writers and characters usually both exchange personality traits and viewpounts without realizing it, it's just part of writing.
This is answer is a complete mess, I hope you can somewhat decipher what I was trying to type. ^.^
Do you think it's okay for writers to add elements to their stories and characters even if the plot doesn't need them? (E.g., the protagonist has pink hair.)
Of course, in fact it's necessary. Not doing this is a huge problem. You need to flesh out the characters as people, above EVERYTHING else. It keeps readers/viewers engaged. It's what subplots are for oftentimes. A one-track mind can be detrimental to a story.
Here's one to mess with your minds.
Code: Select all
Is there any way to wrote a good anti-climax?

I'll give my answer after I read some others.
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:17 am

Is there any way to wrote a good anti-climax?
    So there's a good way of having nothing happen at the most action-packed moment in a story now? Well, I have no idea how that would be done! Congratulations on knowing the answer, though.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 am

Is there any way to write a good anti-climax?
Uh. Maaaaaaybe? I'm not sure.
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:19 am

Code: Select all
[b]Do you think that people should force themselves to write, regardless of writer's block and lack of motivations, or do you think people should only have to write when they're inspired?[/b]

Personally, I think that if you don't write, you're not a writer. If you wait for inspiration, I see that as similar to merely not writing.
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me