Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Huggles » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 pm

After 5 or 6 years of riding, I think I may be getting a horse! Ive been leasing for the last year and a half- ish, maybe just a year. And after this last barn, I'm kind of over leasing and I decided I wanted things a little closer to my way XD Im making it literally 100x harder on myself because I want a mule for their health, but there arent many in the midwest unless im looking to spend $10k and up o.o wish me luckkk
Im quitting and ISO art! Link to refs and cs thread
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spirit23Wolf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Hey Everybody hows it going? good I hope C:
this was taken after our first Ride of the season and he was an absolute angel well sorta he did give a few happy bucks but that's ok in the spring and on the first ride XD (That's his mother in the back always watching XD)
Pet's name: Everest (Thank You KIONO)
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
Spirit23Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby danheng » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Birb wrote:
    Hello! I don't currently ride horses but I have some questions about doing so ^^

For some context: a little kid, I was obsessed with horses. I had ridden horses briefly, but it was never able to last more than one or two lessons because lessons/apprenticeships are so expensive where I live and my family can't afford it. I am now a teen and in the past few years I've suffered from severe physical pain and, potentially, a serious chronic disease. Despite all this, I still love horses so much and dream of even just being around them.

A friend told me that some stables will allow teens to get lessons in exchange for volunteering work (e.g. 6 hours of cleaning per 1 hour lesson) but I'm not sure if that's completely true? If it is, how would I go about asking them? I don't think currently I would be able to do physical work due to my pain/illness, but someday when it's more under control then I would definitely take an offer like that in a heartbeat. If that's not true, does anyone have any other ideas for how I could get involved with horses on a low budget and with a lot of pain?

Thank you for any help ;w;

hey there! I have a similar situation to what you're looking for. I suffer from dyspraxia, a muscular disability, and chronic migraines- but I'm currently a volunteer apprentice at my local ranch. I work every sunday six hours and more during the summer for camps. my job consists of cleaning, feeding, and handling all of the animals. I specialize in equines and specifically ask my boss if I can spend more time around them. I do get free lessons, usually when the horses need exercise. because all of our horses are retired we don't spend more than half an hour riding and all of the apprentices (about six of us) take turns helping each other out on one horse. that's just my situation ^^

I suggest looking into local ranch and stables websites for jobs, or apply in person. ask about a job around the horses and just be plain about it- you want to work and you want to have opportunities to ride and be hands on.

as far as pain goes, if you do get a job or lessons, let your employer/teacher know! my boss knows my limits and we have it worked out so if I am in pain or I need a break she can tag me out with another apprentice. trust me, they will understand completely. ranch work is exerting and hard and really takes a lot out of you- it's not your fault if you need breaks.
danheng

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Huggles » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:59 pm

dameron wrote:
Birb wrote:
    Hello! I don't currently ride horses but I have some questions about doing so ^^

For some context: a little kid, I was obsessed with horses. I had ridden horses briefly, but it was never able to last more than one or two lessons because lessons/apprenticeships are so expensive where I live and my family can't afford it. I am now a teen and in the past few years I've suffered from severe physical pain and, potentially, a serious chronic disease. Despite all this, I still love horses so much and dream of even just being around them.

A friend told me that some stables will allow teens to get lessons in exchange for volunteering work (e.g. 6 hours of cleaning per 1 hour lesson) but I'm not sure if that's completely true? If it is, how would I go about asking them? I don't think currently I would be able to do physical work due to my pain/illness, but someday when it's more under control then I would definitely take an offer like that in a heartbeat. If that's not true, does anyone have any other ideas for how I could get involved with horses on a low budget and with a lot of pain?

Thank you for any help ;w;

hey there! I have a similar situation to what you're looking for. I suffer from dyspraxia, a muscular disability, and chronic migraines- but I'm currently a volunteer apprentice at my local ranch. I work every sunday six hours and more during the summer for camps. my job consists of cleaning, feeding, and handling all of the animals. I specialize in equines and specifically ask my boss if I can spend more time around them. I do get free lessons, usually when the horses need exercise. because all of our horses are retired we don't spend more than half an hour riding and all of the apprentices (about six of us) take turns helping each other out on one horse. that's just my situation ^^

I suggest looking into local ranch and stables websites for jobs, or apply in person. ask about a job around the horses and just be plain about it- you want to work and you want to have opportunities to ride and be hands on.

as far as pain goes, if you do get a job or lessons, let your employer/teacher know! my boss knows my limits and we have it worked out so if I am in pain or I need a break she can tag me out with another apprentice. trust me, they will understand completely. ranch work is exerting and hard and really takes a lot out of you- it's not your fault if you need breaks.

Agree 110%, be straightforward. Stables here that have websites generally dont say they need volunteers, so seriously just email and youll be set. Hey I want to volunteer and help out, I love horses and it would be a great opportunity and you get get an extra set of hands for it. They will understand if you have to take occasional breaks, hey its free work/help.
I took lessons on top of this, but I wanted more horsey time so I stayed behind and extra hour and helped my trainer feed and turnout/bring in, and sometimes id help drive her minis.
As far as jobs wise, if im being completely honest, they probably wont have interest in hiring someone that cant do constant work. Horses are tough and expensive and they probably wont waste their dollars on someone that cant preform on top, this is from experience. Work to ride on the other hand, possibly. Working horses is a job too, so if you could work to ride or work to work horses, like lunging or ground work, that would be perfect from what im hearing! When my trainer was pregnant, she had my friend and I ride her youngsters to keep them good ;)
I feel like im rambling .
Basically long story short, reach out, be straightforward. Best of luck!

**Also if you can find a 4h group, you could get into that, or help at shows or something, I did that for a while when I had to stop leasing!
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Huggles » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Maplefire309 wrote:I've recently started volunteering at a horse farm with my friend, plus I'm a beginner rider. I've been to the horse farm probably at least 3 or 4 times, and one of the horses there I really like to ride. The problem is, he's really stubborn, even after I used a crop on him lightly. He's not owned by anyone, so I think the best option would be for me to work with him, and possibly own him once I'm more experienced, the farm owners even suggested owning him. Does anyone know any good training methods? (Also, I think my friend said he was an Appy but she's not sure, he's also blind in his right eye and a smaller horse.) I'll add a picture of him once I can take one.

If hes at the barn, hes owned by somebody. If youre a beginner rider, dont try and train a horse. First get some guidance, take some lessons, ask if you can help with him. Ask if it would be okay to work with him on the side and get him into good shape. Training depends on the horse, and somebody there should be able to help you. Ask about possibly leasing him if you really enjoy this horse, its like owning but way less responsibility.
Be sure its okay to work with him, but I will say this. Start from the basics, get on the ground with him, make him listen when lunging. Get him to first move his feet on the ground. Its fine to swing a rope or a whip at him, only hit him on his ankles if absolutely necessary, for most horses, you just need to swing or hit the ground. When he becomes good on the ground to cues, this could be a while, get on him, soften him up with some flexes, make sure hes listening to you. When you ask him to move forward, there is no need to be kicking them hard, its going to desensitize him. Squeeze his sides and give a cue to go forward, if he doesnt, dont squeeze harder, tap him with your reins or a crop. If he still doesnt move forward, repeat this.
A lot of times horses arent actually stubborn, but rather desensitized or numb to cues because people over cue. If its a younger horse, probably a case of stubbornness.
Again though, this is something you have to talk with people at the barn with first. Dont just go working a random horse without permission or help!

Hyensa wrote:My friend has a really dangerous mare who has grabbed me with her teeth & attacked me before. No training method, slow or fast, works on her but he insists on keeping and continuing to ride her. She is an explosion waiting to happen, incredibly out of shape and is a constant argument when you're on her back asking her to do something. No amount of starting from the basic's with groundwork seems to matter. She does all the groundwork like a dream, is real chill, free lunges, joins up, etc then just attacks bared teeth and front hooves. Just not nice minded enough to be the leisurely trail horse that he's asking her to be. I have to go out there today with him, exercise and ride her yet again even though she's just going to be the same horse and lose all our progress by the next ride. Selling her & buying a GOOD horse would be the sound decision, there are too many willing ones to constantly deal w/ one who looks for opportunities to hurt you but he wont accept that lol. The only thing that's remotely made a difference was laying her down as a last resort, and even that didn't last a few days with consistent training after it. #hatemares lol!

edit; she has broken my finger and fractured my forearm as well in her freakouts.
Any horse i've ever touched finished out fine, I have a blind horse that i've trained from the ground up as well as an explosive abused gelding and they both do wonderful. I've tried (although I hate Clinton) The Clinton Anderson methods, Neil Davies, Tom McCutcheon and more but some horses just can't be helped I guess.

Yikes. I leased a 4y/o like this for a few months. She loved loved loved ground work, loved people. As soon as you got on her back, buck buck, kick everything, bite this horse. For her, she just needed more work, more things to do more often.
Did you have a vet and/or chiro out? Horses in pain are dangerous, thats how I cracked my hip and bruised a kidney. Have them come out, make sure its not a pain thing. If thats not the case, push push push. If a horse is being naughty, move their feet. If they decide to buck, you have to ride through it. Sooner or later, theyre going to realize they cant escape your contact and pressure, so theyll have to give in. I sat many bucks on my 4y/o brat of a mare. If in any way she was disrespectful or threatening towards me, I moved her feet and made her hustle. She cut it out pretty quick. Best of luck... rip to your finger and arm D:
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:35 am

Three more days. Three more days with my beautiful girl before I have to say goodbye to her and the one passion that kept me going.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do without riding in my life. The closer I get to the end of the month, the sadder I'm becoming. I didn't think it would hit me this hard.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Joy_and_Raymond » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:36 am

Oh my gosh I’m sorry sorry 😢 I don’t think I could live if my horse got taken away
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
she/her, short, dancer
you can call me Ray, RJ, or Joy!
Image ©
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joy_and_Raymond

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NeverLand. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 am

i havent rid in a while..
2 years to be exact!
im starting up again later this year, after the netball seasons over.
i cant wait for netball to be over!! :)
And cant wait to hop into the saddle once again
♥ ♡ ♥
|| rosé || she/they || female ||
╔══════════════════╗
A boring lesbian with an
unfortunate obsession of
dogs & digital drawing.
╚══════════════════╝
|| storage || BR || bonded ||
♥ ♡ ♥
NeverLand.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Maplefire309 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:05 am

Huggles wrote:
Maplefire309 wrote:I've recently started volunteering at a horse farm with my friend, plus I'm a beginner rider. I've been to the horse farm probably at least 3 or 4 times, and one of the horses there I really like to ride. The problem is, he's really stubborn, even after I used a crop on him lightly. He's not owned by anyone, so I think the best option would be for me to work with him, and possibly own him once I'm more experienced, the farm owners even suggested owning him. Does anyone know any good training methods? (Also, I think my friend said he was an Appy but she's not sure, he's also blind in his right eye and a smaller horse.) I'll add a picture of him once I can take one.

If hes at the barn, hes owned by somebody. If youre a beginner rider, dont try and train a horse. First get some guidance, take some lessons, ask if you can help with him. Ask if it would be okay to work with him on the side and get him into good shape. Training depends on the horse, and somebody there should be able to help you. Ask about possibly leasing him if you really enjoy this horse, its like owning but way less responsibility.
Be sure its okay to work with him, but I will say this. Start from the basics, get on the ground with him, make him listen when lunging. Get him to first move his feet on the ground. Its fine to swing a rope or a whip at him, only hit him on his ankles if absolutely necessary, for most horses, you just need to swing or hit the ground. When he becomes good on the ground to cues, this could be a while, get on him, soften him up with some flexes, make sure hes listening to you. When you ask him to move forward, there is no need to be kicking them hard, its going to desensitize him. Squeeze his sides and give a cue to go forward, if he doesnt, dont squeeze harder, tap him with your reins or a crop. If he still doesnt move forward, repeat this.
A lot of times horses arent actually stubborn, but rather desensitized or numb to cues because people over cue. If its a younger horse, probably a case of stubbornness.
Again though, this is something you have to talk with people at the barn with first. Dont just go working a random horse without permission or help!
:

Thank you! The info was really helpful, I'm definitely not owning him tomorrow or anything, maybe only after a year. He just likes to follow other horses a lot, to the point were he gets almost kicked. I'll probably consider leasing like you said once I'm more experienced, the farm does have a leasing option. And I'll make sure to tell the owners, because they look after him. He just was donated, and no one's owned him besides the general farm owners.
Maplefire309

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:30 am

Huggles wrote:

Hyensa wrote:My friend has a really dangerous mare who has grabbed me with her teeth & attacked me before. No training method, slow or fast, works on her but he insists on keeping and continuing to ride her. She is an explosion waiting to happen, incredibly out of shape and is a constant argument when you're on her back asking her to do something. No amount of starting from the basic's with groundwork seems to matter. She does all the groundwork like a dream, is real chill, free lunges, joins up, etc then just attacks bared teeth and front hooves. Just not nice minded enough to be the leisurely trail horse that he's asking her to be. I have to go out there today with him, exercise and ride her yet again even though she's just going to be the same horse and lose all our progress by the next ride. Selling her & buying a GOOD horse would be the sound decision, there are too many willing ones to constantly deal w/ one who looks for opportunities to hurt you but he wont accept that lol. The only thing that's remotely made a difference was laying her down as a last resort, and even that didn't last a few days with consistent training after it. #hatemares lol!

edit; she has broken my finger and fractured my forearm as well in her freakouts.
Any horse i've ever touched finished out fine, I have a blind horse that i've trained from the ground up as well as an explosive abused gelding and they both do wonderful. I've tried (although I hate Clinton) The Clinton Anderson methods, Neil Davies, Tom McCutcheon and more but some horses just can't be helped I guess.

Yikes. I leased a 4y/o like this for a few months. She loved loved loved ground work, loved people. As soon as you got on her back, buck buck, kick everything, bite this horse. For her, she just needed more work, more things to do more often.
Did you have a vet and/or chiro out? Horses in pain are dangerous, thats how I cracked my hip and bruised a kidney. Have them come out, make sure its not a pain thing. If thats not the case, push push push. If a horse is being naughty, move their feet. If they decide to buck, you have to ride through it. Sooner or later, theyre going to realize they cant escape your contact and pressure, so theyll have to give in. I sat many bucks on my 4y/o brat of a mare. If in any way she was disrespectful or threatening towards me, I moved her feet and made her hustle. She cut it out pretty quick. Best of luck... rip to your finger and arm D:

make x-ray of neck, head, back and legs too

@
King Kakashi
Three more days. Three more days with my beautiful girl before I have to say goodbye to her and the one passion that kept me going.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do without riding in my life. The closer I get to the end of the month, the sadder I'm becoming. I didn't think it would hit me this hard.

not sure if i know what happens with this mare, if you did write about this...does your lease end or is she sold? you still could visit her then, even walk her now an then.
make the best of the time you have together.
and you could find a new horse or lease again one day :)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me