The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby zach herron. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:44 am

hiyo!! jus here to mark, ! i’ve owned guinea pigs, ham/gerbs, and knew someone with a chinchilla!! i’m hoping to get a mouse or rat at some point though, do you owners recommend them?
zach herron.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 am

On the topic for recommending rats as pets, as a rat owner myself I will say that rats are one of the best pets you will ever own. They are clean, playful, smart, and very affectionate. They are different from other small rodents in the way that they are more engaged and interactive with you, they actually want to play and cuddle with you. I know some small rodents tend to just like to hang out and explore on their own, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Everybody likes different types of pets so whatever suits you! Rats are not the only rodent I've had so this is just something I've noticed. So if you'd rather have a more interactive pet, rats are the way to go! That's not to say other rodents aren't amazing, though <3 If you're just starting to think about rats, you have to do lots of research. I can help you with the basics, but different sources are important when learning about something new <3
For basics, rats must always be kept in same-sex groups (or male and female only if they are fixed) of 2 or more. Rats are incredibly social and will be depressed without a ratty brother or sister. Even if you could spend 24 hours a day with your single rat, you still wouldn't be able to communicate, groom them, or go to sleep with them like a rat would, which is why it is so important to have at least 2 even if you can spend a lot of time with them so they won't be lonely.
When choosing a rat, first consider if you want males or females, because they do have different personalities. I've personally only owned females, but to my knowledge the females are more playful and active while the males are more happy to chill on your lap while you watch TV or something. As they get older, both genders will slow down and become lap rats.
When you get rats, you need a large cage with lots of toys. I believe the amount of space needed is 3 square feet per rat, so if you get two rats you'd need at least 6 square feet of space in the rat cage, which is achieved by multiple levels. It's really important to get a good cage since they will be spending a lot of time in there when you are not home. As a side note, I think wire cages are the best because they have fantastic air flow, and I'm not a fan of tub cages or tanks. If you get a wire cage, make sure you cover the floors with something (I use tarp) so that the rats do not get something called bumblefoot, which is caused by walking on wire cages too much.
Also, I'll say that rats are not a lot of work, but they are a lot of time. You should take your rats out of the cage to play for at least one hour per day, though I recommend taking them out more than that. I spend at least about 2 to 3 hours a day just playing with them, and then occasionally an additional 5+ hours (with potty breaks) chilling with them while I work on the computer. That's a lot of time, and nobody expects you to have your rats out for 8 hours a day, because it's understandable that you are probably too busy for that. I am lucky I'm home a lot so I have the option, but many people have work and school to tend to. My point in saying this is that though many people recommend at least 1 hour, you can always do more! You can have them chill in the hood of your hoodie while you do your chores, they can fall asleep in your lap while you watch tv, etc. Always try to think from your rats' perspective, and I personally wouldn't enjoy being cooped up all day and going out for only an hour, so I assume my rats feel the same way.
The only time you have to do work with your rats is when you clean the cage. That can be pretty difficult since after all it is a chore. I like to wipe down the tarps daily, and then fully clean out the bedding every week, and occasionally as I see fit scrub down all the wire bars and re-fit the tarps. Cleaning used to take me almost 2 hours! However over time I've gotten much faster and I can casually knock it out in 1 hour, or 30 minutes if I'm in a rush. You'll get good at it over time, and it's really worth the effort to have your rats live in a clean environment.
You can potty train your rats to use a litter box, and if you don't they will naturally choose a corner of the cage themselves and use that. However, though it may look like all of the mess is in one corner to you only need to clean that corner, you should actually clean the whole thing every week because litter trained rats will poop in the litter box but they will pee wherever they want. However very important, they will pee wherever they want inside their cage. So don't worry about any accidents outside the cage! I would be more cautious in the very beginning of owning your rat, because their cage has not yet been established as their home, and therefore they might mistakenly go potty outside the cage. Take them out for small amounts of time (10-15) minutes, then put them back in the cage so they can use the potty if they need it. Then repeat that until they've have enough time outside the cage that day, gradually increasing the time between potty breaks. This is just to make sure they don't make a mess outside the cage. If they do, their scent will remain and every time in the future they come to that spot, they will smell it and be reminded that they went to the bathroom here before, so they might do it again. After a few days they'll be in the clear to roam around for as long as they want, and they will return to the cage themselves for bathroom breaks.

The biggest issue with rats is their short lifespan and health problems. Most female rats will get mammary tumors. These tumors are not cancerous and the rat can live happily for a long time, however sometimes the tumors gets too big and starts interfering with the rat's movement. If you get a female, considering spaying her. It will cost less than it will to remove any tumors she gets, and spaying drastically reduces the risk because mammary tumors (the most common) are caused by their hormones.
A tumor on a rat is not a death sentence. They can live happily and fulfilled for a long time until it starts to get in the way. They tend to get tumors in their old age, and usually they will pass away naturally before the tumor gets too big. Talk to your vet because every case is different. As a side note, make sure you have a vet that can properly medicate a rat. They are considered exotic, and exotic vets cost more than a dog or cat vet.
Rats' lifespans are only about 2 years, which is tragically short. Everyone you ask will say something different because there are plenty of surprising cases where the rats will reach 3, even 4 years! Some people say 1.5, others say 4. However from what I've seen and experience, the average is about 2.

Finally, think about where you will get your rats from. I recommend rescuing as there are plenty of rats that need homes. If your local shelter does not carry rats, check online in your city. "Used" websites often have owners who can no longer take care of their pets, and you can adopt that way. In this case, the owner will usually give you the cage, all the toys, and any remaining food, too, so you'll be all set to take the rats home.
If you choose to buy from a breeder make sure you research them, and only buy from breeders whose ethics you agree with. Some breeders will kill some of the rat pups to "help" the others survive, which they call culling. I personally am against that so I would recommend you make sure you know what the breeder is doing behind the scenes, and if you are comfortable with that. Secondly, many breeders in-breed or line-breed, which has horrible health problems. Some do it to get rats with certain looks, like curly fur or perfect ears. Again make sure you know who you are supporting and the consequences of getting an inbred rat. For many species, getting from a breeder is better but I'll just honestly say that in my heart I do not believe 'breeder is better' in the case of rats.
Your other option is to go to a pet store. Just like with the breeders, make sure you agree with the pet store's ethics. Every store has different policies and providers. I wouldn't buy from a store that carries live rats to feed snakes, since I feel that shows that the store doesn't the care about rats and which ones go to homes and which go to snakes. Overall everybody has their own set of ethics and morals, and make sure you are aware of who you are supporting so that you don't help something you are against, and don't have to carry the guilt of contributing to something you don't agree with. This is a very personal decision and everyone will decide different things. Breeders will say breeders are great, pet stores will say pet stores are great, etc. So you have to be picky about who you listen to and find within yourself your comfort level with these factors.

So before you get your rats, ask yourself:
Can I handle 2 or more rats?
What gender should I get?
What cage should I get? Where should I put the cage in my house?
Is there a rat-proof room they can roam safely?
Do I have enough time?
Am I willing to clean their cage every week?
Am I willing to spend hundreds of dollars in vet bills?
Am I prepared for their short life span?
Where will I get the rats? Do I support these ethics?

I'm not a rat expert but these are just things I've learned from having rats and researching them myself c: remember to check out other sources as well, since it's always important to get lots of opinions before deciding on something! I wish you the best in deciding if rats are the right fit for you <3

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crow Jane » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:36 am

@MotherMother
Thank you a lot for such a long reply! I have some more questions, if you have time for answering them:
1) Are male rats overally healthier than female ones, since you've mentioned mammary tumors but also health problems in general (I've seen quite a few opinions saying rats have a lot of health issues)?
2) By "rat-proofing", you mean covering up the cables, fragile stuff, etc. or something less obvious?
3) Are vet bills really this high? That's pretty much the only thing I'm afraid of, a sudden big expense isn't something that I dream of.
[ lesbian aquarius adult ]
Daisaku Ikeda wrote:Living here on Earth,
we breathe the rhythms of a universe that extends infinitely above us.
When resonant harmonies arise between this vast outer cosmos and the inner human cosmos,
poetry is born.
Crow Jane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zach herron. » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:07 am

@mothermother
wow...thank you. so much. that really changed my outlook on rats. my parents wouldn’t be a fan, but one day i really think a rat is the pet for me. at least to try out. they sound like really cool and really chill lil babies.
zach herron.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:07 am

@Crow Jane glad I could help! I'll try to help with your other questions as well, and don't hesitate if you have any more!

1) Since I've never had male rats, unfortunately I cannot give you advice based on experience. However, I can help based on what I have read online. Mammary tumors are pretty common in females, and the most common tumor to get. It is possible for rats, male or female, to get other types of tumors however, like the more deadly pituitary tumor. Additionally, it is possible for a male to get a mammary tumor, because it's just like how breast cancer in humans mostly affects women, it can also affect men. It is much more unlikely, however. I was pretty close to switching to male rats just to not deal with the heart break of a female with a tumor, however just based off of personal preference I decided to go with females. No rat is exempt from tumors unfortunately, but if you want a better chance of avoiding mammary tumors you can spay a female rat, or get a male rat.
If your rat develops a tumor, you do not have to have surgery to remove it, as long as the rat is happy and able to enjoy life. Since rats usually get tumors when they are elderly, it can be too risky to even put them through anesthesia, and if they survive that the recovery will be slow and laboured. This is something that would need to be assessed by a professional vet in person. Additionally, even if the tumor is removed, it is possible for more to appear. Therefore you'd need to consider the rat's age and ability to recover, as well as the likelihood of more tumors appearing.
You can improve your chances of avoiding tumors by getting your female spayed, or getting a male whose likelihood of getting mammary tumors is greatly decreased. A much easier option, however, is to give your rat a strict and healthy diet, and any time you want to give your rat a treat just make sure it is healthy. Rats love fruits and veggies, which are a healthy alternative to sweet store bought pet treats. However, keep in mind that fruits are quite sugary and should be given in moderation. I personally feed my rats Oxbow Essentials, which was recommended to me by multiple vets. Occasionally they get rice puffs, oats, and chicken as a very special treat c: I know everyone wants to spoil their little ratty with tasty food all the time, I would love to as well! But I know that the best way to show them my love is to keep them healthy, rather than give them unhealthy treats all the time.
Other than tumors, rats can get respiratory issues. All rats are born with a respiratory disease. However, it will most likely stay dormant and never arise nor cause any issues. It can happen, however, that the disease does surface and the rat will have laboured breathing, wheezing, and sneezing. It can be easily treated with antibiotics. To avoid respiratory problems, make sure their bedding is dust free. Many companies label their product as "dust free" however if you shake out the bag you will see tons of dust come out. When you find a bedding you'd like to purchase, check online for customer reviews from pet owners who have actually tried the bedding, and see what they say before you buy it.
Overall I would say that males and females have about the same health risks, other than mammary tumors.
2) Yes, exactly that! Keep a close eye on your cables and check them often for any chew marks. Personally, not a single rat I've ever had chewed or showed any interest in the one cable I have in my room. I'm not sure if that's pure luck or if they just don't really care about it. So I would recommend for the first few days to inspect your cables and make sure the rats are not chewing it. If any are plugged in, make sure they are secure and fully plugged, with no exposed metal. Make sure you have no plants in the room. Some people say as long as it's not poisonous, a plant is okay, however I personally disagree. Plants require soil which has tons and tons of bacteria from outside. Because rats are rarely vaccinated, it's important to keep harmful bacteria away from your rats. I'm not saying you need to wash your clothes and have a shower every time you want to play with your rats, but I am saying that since the soil has lots of outdoor bacteria, tiny bugs, and manure, I would keep it away. Whenever I need to take my rats to the vet, the first question they ask is have they been outside. The same way that indoor cats don't need the same vaccinations as outdoor cats, or a puppy that's too young to be vaccinated, rats should be kept off of outdoor grass and soil.
Another part of rat-proofing a room is not just making it safe, but also making sure they don't chew something they're not supposed to. Some rats don't chew your things, and some do. For example my first pair of rats never chewed up my things and in fact weren't very interested in the chew toys I gave them. However, the rats I have right now are more mischievous and will chew a book if it's laying on the floor, and they love their chew toys. Interestingly, I have a book shelf in that room and they don't chew any books that are properly stored. However they'll munch on any on the floor! Maybe they're telling me to clean up haha! So it really depends on the rat. It's very easy to just put things out of reach for when you have them out.
3) It depends on the vet clinic, since every one will be different. From personal experience, just a check up alone used to be $60 Canadian, but recently increased to $80. Treatment wise, the most common medication given is simple antibiotics, which I paid $20 for over 14 doses. Spaying can range quite a bit so it would help to ask your local clinic. Even if you don't have a rat, don't be shy to call your vet clinic and ask! Since perhaps the cost will affect your decision on males or females. So long story short, you can in fact spend hundreds in order to keep multiple rats healthy.

@zach herron. I'm so happy to hear that! Parents can be hard to convince, but the first time I asked for rats my mom said NO, NEVER and I thought I'd just have to wait until I moved out. It took time for her to get used to the idea and when I realized we'd need 2, not just 1, she said no way. Luckily she eventually approved because she saw how badly I wanted them! When we first got them, she wasn't very interested in them. But now, after many happy years with all different rats, she loves them and cuddles them and baby talks to them! Hopefully your parents might consider this as well <3 If not, rats are still definitely worth having one day!

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 am

@drift
      Do you have other rats at home? If not, you should consider getting her a friend. Rats thrive on companionship and get pretty depressed and lonely if they are alone.

Sad day today.
      I've developed severe allergies to my rats. Princess got rehomed last night a lovely man and my young boys will be going to a new home tomorrow. I am devastated.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 am

@Gamora.
Yes ^^ I have a male dumbo, and two petco rats that I ONLY purchased because they were severely malnourished and sick. Baby, my black and white fancy, was only a few weeks old at the time but had bloody discharge coming from her eyes and her nose. Both sisters are healthy and happy and very friendly to new rats; so I'm hoping they'll accept Meatball. Of course I'm introducing them slowly despite them being friendly.

ahw hun I am so sorry to hear that. You know if we lived in the same country I would give all of your kiddos a good home; especially since my two girls will be three in a few months and I've never had a rat longer than two years. Not saying I hope they die but I'm surprised they've had no other health issues thus far and I don't know how much longer I'll be blessed to have them.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fae the faun » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:11 am

12 pinkies!! Going to see if first time mama can handle the 12 if not I'll have to have another mama raise some of them. We've had a great month for babies we've had 6 litters and the hold backs so far have been looking amazing!
This breeding also proved the genes finally of their mama who came to us color undetermined because she just didn't have enough color to have a good idea but I always totally right on the blue agouti. So many wedge babies ranging from light blue to agouti and black. Fingers crossed this last litter gives us a good count of Silvermanes! I have some breeders I'm working with interested but I need hold backs as well. :lol:
Fae the faun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:52 pm

sooo, its 20 days until i go on holidays with my family, therefore after 4 or so weeks I may be getting my hamster I've always wanted.
    my friend also really wants one which is cool sooo i can talk to her about it (I was yesterday)

quick question;
    is the minimum cage size for a Syrian 360 sq inches or some other sizing?

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kiffell » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 pm

hello!

i came here because im really interested in a guinea pig or two! Though, im needing a bit of advice on where i could get one/some and if the guinea is the best choice for me. I did have rabbits when i was really little, but i dont remember much about them except for the fact my family didn't take care of them well..

anyways!

i've been wanting a small creature for some time now, because i really want a hand held animal. But, i do have a dog, and im wondering if guineas will get along with my dog? I have some ideas on how to keep them both separated and happy at the same time, but im not sure how long i'd be able to do that aha.

and if i DO decide to get a guinea, where should i adopt it/them from? (if i have to get multiple)
i heard petsmart is a no go, but how about petco? I checked my local shelters website and they didn't have any piggies, but petfinder said there were a few in my area. Plus, im still in school so im not sure on how lonely one guinea would be and if i had to get two. Which that would work out fine because i have a little brother who is also interested in a pig!

thank you for any and all help !
- - - - - -
mangroveclan (stars) | cactusclan (stars)
- - - - - -
im no longer active on cs, if you want to talk/need to contact me please do so through discord or TH!
kiffell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me