Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby Rose5335 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:23 pm

uncle lemon wrote:
Banfield pet hospital? The one that has over 2,000 customer complaints?? lol ok. Getting your dogs ears cropped at a reputable vets office vs. a sketchy clinic inside of a PETSMART is two different things, sorry. Maybe they don't do the cropping and docking because they can't do it without jacking the whole dog up. My other APBT Bane has his ears cropped and he hunts hogs with me, whenever I get the chance to and Spade probably will too, if you want to count that as work. And no wild hogs are not cute and friendly mini pigs, having your dog's ear ripped off by a boar isn't fun or pretty.

I personally use Banfield pet hospital for my dog and have had no complaints, the only reason I mentioned it was because it is a large well-known chain that will no longer do the procedure because they see it as unnecessary and so does the AVMA "The AVMA opposes ear cropping and tail docking of dogs when done solely for cosmetic purposes. The AVMA encourages the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from breed standards." I don't think Banfield itself is the problem I think some of the veterinarians are the problem. Not all Banfields are in Petsmarts btw. For you to assume that they stopped doing ear croppings because they might "jack the whole dog up" is naive. Many people may have had bad experiences there, but couldn't that because they are such a large network of veterinary hospitals, they have almost 900 hospitals which means a little over 2 complaints a hospital, and I'm sure almost all veterinary hospitals have had their fair share of complaints, you just don't notice them nearly as much because they are small 1 off clinics. You have the right to use whichever veterinary clinic you want but it should mean something to you when both the AVMA and almost 1,000 clinics are opposed to doing ear croppings and tail docking.
Rose5335

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awsomepets432 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Its true that some people may be afraid of pit bulls because they are known to be more "dangerous" than other breeds. but in hindsight any animal can be dangerous. it all depends on how you train and raise them the same as you would children. i have also read that pitbulls are also one of the most loyal dog breeds and if they attack you its because they either have rabies or you have tried to threaten their family. so love the pits. Peace out guys 8-)
awsomepets432

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby silvermahogany » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Everyone i know either hates pitbulls or are scared of them but i dont understand why. They have a bad reputation when really its only how they're raised that makes them aggressive. If they were raised to be an angry guard dog, if course it's probably going to bite. If it was raised in a loving and calm family, it will be happy and very very unlikely to attack. People need to understand this.

- You poor thing
Sweet, mourning lamb
There's nothing you can do -

☆ Pfp by idrawforfun <3
☆ Silv - He/Him - Genderqueer - Gay
☆ Adult
☆ Un-quit for art shops, pls shoot me a dm if you do human art!!
☆ Ask me about my dnd oc ask me about my dnd oc ask me about my dnd oc ask me abou-
silvermahogany

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lilpupin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:48 pm

I absolutely love pitbulls! Their cute faces, their sweet and caring temperament. I could go on and on! It is very sad that Pitbulls are always blamed for being terrible dogs since they are used in fighting. Pitbulls were actually originally bred for rat fights. They would put hundreds of rats in a small arena and put the pitbull in the arena with them. The dog can be perfectly nice too as long as they are raised correctly, with a caring owner. Also, dogs are trained to fight by taunting them with cats, birds, and rodents, even sometimes large lizards. The thing that lots of people don't get is that any dog could be used for dog fights, even a Chihuahua, for crying out loud! I think that people are just startled by how strong they are... I also think that it's nice that their nickname is that nannie dog.
Hello! You can call me lilpupin, lil, pupin, or whatever you please, really.
---Feel free to send me a PM if you need help with anything!

Field - TH - ArtFight - lambicorns

Christian ~ reader ~ drawer
Animal lover ~ Breyer Horse Collector
sister
abomonation
lilpupin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eremite » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:59 pm

[
uncle lemon wrote:

Her ears... as you can see one is half prick and the other rose. Spade is only 8 weeks old now, so I'm going to go ahead and rose-tape her half prick ear and if it isn't corrected by 12 weeks, I might be getting them cropped. I absolutely love natural ears on APBTs, but not every which way floppy ones, it isn't cute to me. I wouldn't mind having an APBT with cropped ears either so we'll see about her ears.

Don't worry I support you. Cropping (and docking) isn't the evil horrible process people try to make it out to be. Owners often struggle keeping their dog calm enough for the ears to heal properly because they feel so little pain, cause people seem to forget that just like any other surgery they're given pain meds. If/when you do get them done post pictures, I love a good crop on an APBT!
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:10 pm

awsomepets432 wrote:Its true that some people may be afraid of pit bulls because they are known to be more "dangerous" than other breeds. but in hindsight any animal can be dangerous. it all depends on how you train and raise them the same as you would children. i have also read that pitbulls are also one of the most loyal dog breeds and if they attack you its because they either have rabies or you have tried to threaten their family. so love the pits. Peace out guys 8-)

have you went to the webpage Daxter's friend's?
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby relientcola » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:19 pm

I dont really like pitbulls that much. Not to say i wouldnt help one if it was sick or injured, but theres a reason i dont like them. Now, i have two german shepherds. One named Gideon and the other named Greta. One night my parents were out walking the dogs when this pitbull runs up to them and for no reason whatsoever lunges at Gideons neck with a death grip. Gideon hadnt done anything, hadnt even acknowledged the other dog and it just goes for him
My parents couldnt get the pitbull off, though managed to pull him away for a few seconds before he lunged at Gideons leg. It took five men to successfully get the pitbull away. Gideon almost died, and the vet says if the pitbull had gone for Greta, whose just a little bit smaller, she would have died. I understand not all pitbulls are like this but im scared of them
relientcola

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:23 am

relientcola wrote:I dont really like pitbulls that much. Not to say i wouldnt help one if it was sick or injured, but theres a reason i dont like them. Now, i have two german shepherds. One named Gideon and the other named Greta. One night my parents were out walking the dogs when this pitbull runs up to them and for no reason whatsoever lunges at Gideons neck with a death grip. Gideon hadnt done anything, hadnt even acknowledged the other dog and it just goes for him
My parents couldnt get the pitbull off, though managed to pull him away for a few seconds before he lunged at Gideons leg. It took five men to successfully get the pitbull away. Gideon almost died, and the vet says if the pitbull had gone for Greta, whose just a little bit smaller, she would have died. I understand not all pitbulls are like this but im scared of them

I'd dislike them too if I was in your situation. I don't like it when people act like everyone has to love pit bulls, my cousin was attacked by a bully breed so I keep my dog away from him whenever he comes to visit, she's the sweetest thing but I'm not gonna force him to face my dog after that trauma. And they're not the dog for everyone, some people just aren't fond of the breed.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 am

Things are going great with Spade! She can sit, shake(left, right) and play dead!! She's also great at 'look extra cute so mommy won't put me in the crate at bedtime'^^ But yeah, about her ears, I've decided not to crop them. I would have to drive around 2 hours because I only have one vet that I trust to crop my dogs ears and right now I don't really have time for that. And shes cute with her little floppies, it would be so adorable if they went full prick!
Some pictures:

☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:14 pm

uncle lemon wrote:Things are going great with Spade! She can sit, shake(left, right) and play dead!! She's also great at 'look extra cute so mommy won't put me in the crate at bedtime'^^ But yeah, about her ears, I've decided not to crop them. I would have to drive around 2 hours because I only have one vet that I trust to crop my dogs ears and right now I don't really have time for that. And shes cute with her little floppies, it would be so adorable if they went full prick!
Some pictures:

Cutee! What a smart little girl! I can never stand the puppy eyes at night and usually end up sleeping with them, lol.
-

My bully mix, JJ, is going to the snow tomorrow! She's never seen it before. I've been biking and doing lots of flirt pole with her to get her to lose some weight, so she's going to be looking good for some snow pictures. Her and my other dog will be meeting my friends dogs for the first time and they'll get to run around by the lake.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me