Feelings on Harry Potter?

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Feelings on Harry Potter?

Postby Matteno33 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:31 am

I know Harry Potter is really popular right now, adn a lot of people love it......but I'm a Christian and all my friends hate it. I don't like Harry Potter either, but before I start bashing him, I'd like to know what the rest of the world thinks.......if you could comment that would be great!
Pet's name: Emma
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
This is Emma!

World's #1 newsboys fan! No Justin B. or Miley C. for me! (hey it rhymes!)
I'm a Christian Jesus Freak, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!!!
Matteno33

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Feelings on Harry Potter?

Postby lifedust » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm

On a note, I have read all of the Harry Potter books (the first one came out quite some time ago now!) and seen the movies (barring the most recent one...). I really enjoyed the story, and it was quite unique in the manner in which it was written. I'm also a Christian (Christ-follower) and I feel that even though Harry Potter are books with magic, witchcraft, and whatnot, they are still good reads. As long as one doesn't become too invested in the imaginary world of the novels, or place too much emphasis on them besides reading for pleasure, then I think they're fine. As long as the reader looks at it from a perspective of simply reading to enjoy the story (because it is just a story) then there's not much to concern you. I don't believe those novels condone or promote witchcraft in any way: it's not meant to. It's just a fantasy novel.

There. My two cents.
human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust -- we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.
-- Albert Einstein
lifedust

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rushmik » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Mm I agree with Lifedust. It doesn't encourage witchcraft and such, only your imagination. There will always be those people who will take it way too far though, just don't be one of them.

I've read and watched the books and movies to date, but I wouldn't even call myself a fan. I have Christian friends who love it, but wouldn't give any sort of magic in real life any interest.
Rushmik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Matteno33 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:57 am

Thanks for responding, guys. I wasn't trying to diss Harry Potter, especially since I haven't read any of the books, but I was just wondering how people really feel about it, especially Christians.
Pet's name: Emma
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
This is Emma!

World's #1 newsboys fan! No Justin B. or Miley C. for me! (hey it rhymes!)
I'm a Christian Jesus Freak, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!!!
Matteno33

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me