Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby polerberr » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Yesterday I was quite taken aback by a film I saw in the cinema just by chance since my sister and I were in the area and figured we'd see what's screening. It was the new N. Night Shyamalan film, Split.

For anyone who's familiar with Shy's track record, you'd know he made two incredible films early on in his career (Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense), and from there on he went downhill completely with movies like Signs and The Last Airbender (which according to fans of the series doesn't actually exist, kind of like how there's only three Indiana Jones movies...) I don't think it was unreasonable of me to expect the movie to be uninpressive cheap fun. I gotta say though, M. Night Shyamalan might be making a comeback. Split was surprisingly engaging and thrilling.

I think the problem with his movies up until now, other than the fact that they became increasingly ridiculous, is that you knew there was going to be a plot twist at the end of the film, which made it possible to predict what it would be since you know there'll be one coming.

In true Shyamalan fashion, Split obviously has a plot twist, and I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what would happen at the end of the movie that changes everything about it, but the story kept going in a direction away from any possible twists... I actually swore out loud in the cinema when it happened, along with other people in the audience. ("Oh sh*********t..."). Of course I'm not going to give anything specific away since this film has only recently come out (at least that's the case in my country), but I will say this: a lot of people are not going to get it. It has nothing to do with intelligence or how well you've been paying attention, so this isn't me being pretentious about it, just being very honest. Shyamalan has made an interesting choice, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

To give some info about the movie itself, if you haven't caught the trailer, Split covers the topic of Dissosiative Identity Disorder, the actual name for what people tend to call split/multiple personality disorder. DID is a very debated topic in it's field since a lot of people believe it isn't a real disorder and that the people that "suffer" from it are deluded or making it up while actually suffering from a different mental illness. This is reflected in the film, and I always appreciate it when you can see that the writers did their research. I won't call this a scientifically accurate film, it takes it's liberties, but I don't think it's an insult to anyone with DID, either.

James McAvoy plays the character with DID and his acting is phenomenal. His different personalites all feel like different actors inhabiting his body, and when he switches on camera, sheesh, it's creepy. I'm not sure he'll be nominated for an Oscar due to the nature of the film (it's not exactly the kind of movie the academy likes to praise), but I think it's still definitely worth the watch for the acting alone.

Before I make it sound like the best movie ever though, I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece. The Sixth Sense is still, in my opinion, Shyamalan's best movie. People might not be happy with the plot twist, parts of the movie are predictable, and at times too ridiculous. The genre is a little confusing, it starts off in one direction and then goes a different way, but that might not be a bad thing. Rosemary's Baby pulled it off and that's considered a classic horror/drama nowadays.

I'm glad to see that it boasts a Certified Fresh score of 79% on RT currently, and IMDb users have rated it a 7.6 so far, so the general consensus between both critics and the general audience is that it's a good film. :thumbup:
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:25 am

I'm sure I'll see Split sooner or later - my sister is a huge Shyamalan fan xD
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

So the Oscar Nominees were announced a few days ago. This is the first year in a few where I actually haven't yet seen any of the nomated films from the main categories. I guess I have some catching up to do.

So you can see the nominees here at the Academy Awards' own website.

In the weeks leading up to the actual awards ceremony, I think I'll try to watch as many movies that were nominated as I can. I find it a little disheartening to see that Silence isn't one of the main contenders. I haven't seen it yet, but when I heard Scorcese was directing and Liam Neeson in a drama role, I was hoping it'd be a bigger film than it is right now. Oh well.

The Best Animated Film category is interesting. Two Disney movies! I guess Disney did spoil us in 2016. I am 99% sure that Zootopia is going to win that category. If I had money to bet on it, I would. I feel like it's a no brainer. It's the only movie up there that made any real impact. People went crazy over Zootopia, and for good reason.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Zootopia is my guess, too. I suspect they might just give Miranda his Oscar for Moana and have done xD

I did see Florence Foster Jenkins at the beginning of the year last year! The acting is wonderful ^.^

Also want to see La La Land at some point - probably a rental
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again- the Oscars cannot be taken seriously.
It's okay if you guys like it, I just feel like I need to say it in case there's anyone who doesn't know. Because it makes me pretty mad. Are there any honest award shows out there?
I didn't love Zootopia as much as a lot if other people, but it was stoll one of the best if the year.
The Little Prince isnt nominated, is it?
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone knows the Oscars have a fairly specific view of what makes a great movie/performance/etc. and they're certainly swayed by publicity. Don't know what you mean by "honest award shows", all of them have some sort of "bias", if that's what you mean. Personally I enjoy the Tony's a lot (or I did the last one). I don't always watch the Oscars, but it's fun to speculate, and the Best Picture nominees are almost always worth a look (even if they're not comprehensive). The Animated Film category can be pretty pathetic sometimes, though xD
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leopardnight » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:02 pm

I must say I haven't seen many of the Oscar nominated films this year, so I'm going to have to catch up!
I agree that the Oscars do play to some major biases, and I've noticed that there's definitely a formula. Often times I find myself a bit disappointing by the Oscar outcome, (I really thought The Revenant deserved Best Picture) but it's fun to watch them and predict the outcome.

Speaking of, what are all of your opinions on La La Land's fourteen nominations? I saw La La Land and enjoyed it, but was not nearly as impressed by it as a few of my friends. Fourteen nominations seems like a bit too many to me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is Mr. Robot? Who is Mr. Robot?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake

xxxxxxxx

Leopardnight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Ill bet you something like Trolls or The Secret Life of Pets is gonna be nominated -.-
La La Land sounds amazing, but I keep hearing it's not quite as good as you'd believe.
They/Them
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leopardnight » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:00 pm

According to Google, the films that were nominated for Best Animated feature were Moana, Kubo and the Two Strings, Zootopia, My Life as a Courgette and The Red Turtle.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake

xxxxxxxx

Leopardnight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:02 pm

I haven't seen Kubo, but I only like Zootopia from that list, from what I know.
I'd have liked to see Finding Dory and The Little Prince nominated.
They/Them
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me