Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby polerberr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:58 am

Puzzles101 wrote:It's okay.
Hopefully I don't get yelled at because of it....

I think most of the people on this thread like Disney, or are at least tolerant of it. c:

From my own experience, people that hate Disney are kids that are getting to an age where they think Disney is uncool because it's "for little kids". Then they eventually grow out of that phase and realise how amazing Disney is even when you're a young adult.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:39 am

Disney's live action version of Dumbo

What.

I think my brain in unable to comprehend that sentence.

'Dumbo', a mostly silent little gem of pure cartoony character animation is being remade... with real elephants. In a era where circus elephants (and circus animals in general) are going extinct.

What?!

How is that even going to work?! I mean I guess they'll make Dumbo CGI, but there's no way a realistic CGI elephant flapping it's ears in the air is going to look anything but laughable next to a real elephant. Or a real anything for that matter. Are they going to have a CG Casey Jr. too? What about the infamous crows? What about Dumbo being cradled in his mother's trunk? Elephants are strong but they can't cradle a baby elephant with their trunk.

I sincerely hope it's a joke. I mean I adore the film 'Dumbo', but it's never been a big movie for Disney - yes it made a lot of profit, and possibly saved the studio. But part of the reason why is because it was made cheaply, and it simply came out at the right time. 'Dumbo' is not a film today's audience wants to see. Unless they change the whole story completely. I mean, we can laugh at the mean elephants getting hurt in the circus act in 'Dumbo' because they're caricatures. They're not really innocent animals - they're circus performers. But picture that same scene with real elephants, and suddenly no one is laughing. 'Dumbo' is meant to be a feel-good film! That's why people like it! That's why it made money! How can anyone feel good about a film like that?

Disney... What are you thinking?! Remake 'Atlantis'! Remake 'Oliver and Company', remake 'Sword in the Stone' or 'Lady and the Tramp' or 'Aristocats'! A live action adaptation of any one of those would have an audience. I mean 'Lady and the Tramp' and 'Aristocats' might be kind of dumb, but it's better then 'Dumbo'! People love to see dogs and cats playing and being cute and falling in love. People don't want to see elephants being chained in tiny train cars and forced to perform. Is this the image Disney really wants to portray? And then they also want people to be happy at the end? Okay, honestly though, I'd probably complain about 'Lady and the Tramp' (or let's be honest just about any animated classic) being remade as live action too, but at least that one makes sense. That one is marketable! Who is a remake of 'Dumbo' even going to be for?

Anyway, did not mean to turn that into a rant, but seriously, 'Dumbo'? 'Dumbo'!? There isn't a Disney film more of it's era than 'Dumbo'. You might as well remake "Bus Stop" from the 50s and expect people to laugh at a man throwing a woman over his shoulder and dragging her out of an establishment. I really hate that movie. And yes, it is a romantic comedy. You're supposed to laugh at it. I don't understand it either. In the context of the time, it's funny I guess, but nowadays? It would never work.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:27 am

@Silverhart
I've... Already known about this for like two years.
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:22 pm

I have to agree, Silverhart. I don't understand why it's being remade. I didn't even like it very much when I was a kid, and I don't know a single person that's ever mentioned Dumbo in a conversation about Disney movies (and I have those a lot).

I'd love a remake of the Aristocats, actually. It could do with an update. I watched it only a few days ago and found myself getting bored at certain parts of the film because they didn't work for a modern audience and were entirely uneccesary for the plot. I'm specifically speaking about slapstick scenes. Modern animations don't have scenes dedicated just to slapstick comedy because people are more into word play and verbal jokes now. You might get a 3 year old to laugh at a man falling down the stairs, but everyone else is just going to roll their eyes and hope the story gets going again soon.

I don't feel like Lady and the Tramp needs a remake, but I wouldn't be against it either. Dogs are cute.

Aren't a bunch of the dogs from Lady and the Tramp also in 101 Dalmatians? I seem to remember that being a thing.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leopardnight » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:51 pm

I believe there was a Disney cameo of the dogs from the kennel in a shop window of 101 Dalmatians.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is Mr. Robot? Who is Mr. Robot?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake

xxxxxxxx

Leopardnight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby holmes221B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 am

Honestly, I like The Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp the way they are. In my opinion, I feel like remakes won't be as good as the original (though I can say that the remake for Beauty and the Beast was actually good). I can tell that some people would like remakes of The Aristocrats and Lady and the Tramp, but it might not be the same as the original ones.

Now, let's all take a moment to remember another one of my favourite Disney movies.

Mary Poppins.

I honestly love this movie. The music is beautiful, the plot is good, the characters are nice. I could keep going on the positives, but I won't do that now. The choreographed dances are also entertaining to watch. When I hear a song from that movie, I start singing along. c:

"Sherlock Holmes. Surely you've heard of me?"

xxImage
Imagexx
- Sherlock Holmes
(Dai Gyakuten Saiban)

holmes221B

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Puzzles101 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:27 am

holmes221B wrote:Mary Poppins.

I honestly love this movie. The music is beautiful, the plot is good, the characters are nice. I could keep going on the positives, but I won't do that now. The choreographed dances are also entertaining to watch. When I hear a song from that movie, I start singing along. c:

Yes. 135% Agreement from me. c:
Especially that my favourite song from it is "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," but there are other ones that are nice too.
Puzzles101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 am

I've recently been semi-reliving my Fullmetal Alchemist obsession, and I remembered that there's apparently a live-action movie of it coming out. Okay? I'm not sure how they'd do it, since the manga is 108 chapters long.
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:09 pm

I just wanted to share this list of recent lesser known animated films I saw on Reddit. A lot of these seem really beautiful.

http://imgur.com/a/nAL0w
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Camiracundus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Has anyone on this thread watched Steamboy? Steamboy is a Japanese steampunk animated action film from 2004 - it's one of the most expensive Japanese films made to date, and it was in production for over 10 years! I first watched this movie years ago when I was gifted it along with a PSP; and although I watched it in Japanese and could understand none of it, I loved it. Re-watching it years later with English subs I realized that it was just as good as the first time I watched it! It remains one of my Top-20 movies to this day!

𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒'𝓈 𝑔𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓈𝓉 𝒶𝒹𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓊𝓇𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒾𝓃 𝒹𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝑜𝓃𝑒'𝓈 𝓁𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓁 𝒷𝑒𝓈𝓉 ~ 𝓐.𝓜.
Camiracundus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me