Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby WHEN'DHEGO?!?! » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Ironically this thread cones back alive right after I get finished writing reveiws for the Marvel thread.
Merry Christmas from The Flowey Fanclub PLEASE JOIN
They/Them
Pet's name: The One and Only Ghost of Christmas Past
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
WHEN'DHEGO?!?!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dizzy socks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:25 pm

dovah wrote:do you have to be a member to post on here? i just need a quick review

has anyone seen murder on the orient express? my friend and i were planning on seeing it tomorrow afternoon but i'm not sure how good it is. he looked at the ratings and they were kind of average. any help would be much appreciated! xx

I really enjoyed it. I knew the plot so it wasn't a surprise, but still fun. The setting is breathtaking and really adds to it. You get the impression that everyone in it is just having a good time. I would recommend.
Lights aways on. I work 9 to 5 (BST/GMT) so may take a while to get to PMs - but I will get to them.
Dizzy socks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:15 am

dovah wrote:do you have to be a member to post on here? i just need a quick review

has anyone seen murder on the orient express? my friend and i were planning on seeing it tomorrow afternoon but i'm not sure how good it is. he looked at the ratings and they were kind of average. any help would be much appreciated! xx

Anyone can post. :)

I haven't seen it, but the RT Critic's Consensus is: "Stylish production and an all-star ensemble keep this Murder on the Orient Express from running off the rails, even if it never quite builds up to its classic predecessor's illustrious head of steam."

So I'd say that means that it won't be as good as what it's based on, but it'll still be entertaining?
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dovah » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:45 am

Dizzy socks wrote:
dovah wrote:x

I really enjoyed it. I knew the plot so it wasn't a surprise, but still fun. The setting is breathtaking and really adds to it. You get the impression that everyone in it is just having a good time. I would recommend.

polerberr wrote:
dovah wrote:x

Anyone can post. :)

I haven't seen it, but the RT Critic's Consensus is: "Stylish production and an all-star ensemble keep this Murder on the Orient Express from running off the rails, even if it never quite builds up to its classic predecessor's illustrious head of steam."

So I'd say that means that it won't be as good as what it's based on, but it'll still be entertaining?

thank you!!
dovah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:24 am

Hello, dead thread! Time to get this conversation up and running again because OSCARS!

As usual, I haven't seen a ton of the nominees, but this must be the first time in years that I haven't seen ANY of the Animation nominees (unless you count the short from Cars 3). I do intend to see Coco and Ferdinand at some point, but never Boss Baby because WHY. Haven't heard of the other two nominees.

Other random comments: Interesting to see Logan got a nomination for Screenplay - I'm happy to see it get a little acknowledgement. I really want to see The Post, and I'll get around to Dunkirk sooner or later...still on the fence about whether I want to see Shape of Water. Guillermo Del Toro is an invariably interesting director, but ever since Pan's Labyrinth I've been real cautious about his R-rated films.

In non-Oscar news, I saw your name. and Leap! over the past month or so. your name. was more or less what I expected - that is, a really good and really anime movie. It's easy to like, but not the deepest, thematically speaking. Leap! was actually better than I expected! If only they'd put some actual effort into the marketing, it could've done well in America. It aims for a Disneyesque tone, and for the most part it succeeds - it reminded me most of Tangled, for some reason. Still kinda girly, but not overwhelmingly so. The English dub was also surprisingly strong - I was a little surprised they didn't play up Carly Rae Jepson's role in the marketing, but she puts in such a good performance I didn't have a clue who she was until the final credits.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:08 am

So, yesterday I may or may not have booked tickets to see John Williams conduct his scores at the Royal Albert Hall in London in October.

The hype is insane. e-e

I missed Hans Zimmer's tour and I'm devastated, but this is gonna help me get over that. Plus! I'm going to the orchestral Planet Earth II concert so that's nice.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:29 am

John Williams >>>> Hans Zimmer (sorry Hans)

I finally saw Coco, and I was honestly slightly disappointed. It had all the feels I was expecting, but I think it was mostly the aesthetic that was a letdown. I think I just dislike Unkrich's visual style - the screen tends to drown in dark yellows and orange, which gives it kind of a sickly hue. I couldn't help comparing the visuals to The Book of Life and finding Coco lacking. It's definitely a more polished movie, but there's just nothing new.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Wed May 16, 2018 9:14 am

have any of you guys watched a movie called submarine? it was released in 2010 and directed by richard ayaode (it was his debut but you might know him as moss from it crowd - has also directed a few arctic monkeys music videos if anyone's familiar), i watched it last month and rn i think it's a contender for my favourite film. it's on netflix (for australia at least) and i'd honestly recommend anyone watch it at least once, it's kinda surrealist humour i guess?? the visuals are really nice (the setting is like coastal england), the characters are unique and the soundtrack is amazing (by alex turner of arctic monkeys haha) so i'd recommend it to anyone

i've noticed like everyone else that this topic has died down a bit which is kinda sad, is there any way we could get it going again? bc i'd really love to discuss films with you guys, maybe a discord server would be better? dunno just an idea haha
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Fri May 18, 2018 3:35 am

horchata wrote:
    have any of you guys watched a movie called submarine? it was released in 2010 and directed by richard ayaode (it was his debut but you might know him as moss from it crowd - has also directed a few arctic monkeys music videos if anyone's familiar), i watched it last month and rn i think it's a contender for my favourite film. it's on netflix (for australia at least) and i'd honestly recommend anyone watch it at least once, it's kinda surrealist humour i guess?? the visuals are really nice (the setting is like coastal england), the characters are unique and the soundtrack is amazing (by alex turner of arctic monkeys haha) so i'd recommend it to anyone

i've noticed like everyone else that this topic has died down a bit which is kinda sad, is there any way we could get it going again? bc i'd really love to discuss films with you guys, maybe a discord server would be better? dunno just an idea haha

Hey. :)

Yeah, I don't know why it's been dead lately. I haven't been spending much time on the website myself lately though so that doesn't help. ^^;

Having a Discord seems like a great idea though. So: https://discord.gg/SUEuJQ

Let's give it a shot!

I haven't seen Submarine, but I think if I get the time I'll try it out.

Last movie I saw was Infinity War. I wasn't majorly impressed, but it was entertaining enough.

I think one of the problems with comic book movies is that the villains don't tend to be super compelling. The movies generally focus more on building the characters up as fun and interesting and as a result they spend less time on the plot and villain. There are exceptions, like Loki, but probably because he's a long term character, and not just around for only one film. The villain for Infinity War is more interesting than I thought, gotta admit. Still a bit cliche though.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Sun May 20, 2018 11:08 am

tried joining the discord but the invite link was invalid :/

i thought infinity war was pretty good but translating villains from comic books to the mcu is just difficult because there are a huge amount of very overpowered villains to oppose individual superheroes who all have their own arcs, so on the big screen they have to be weaker and are not as fleshed out as they are in the books - or they stay as overpowered as they are which is kind of detrimental to the film (such as in thor: ragnarok - definitely the best thor movie but i wasn't a fan of hela)
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes