Bring back CS contests! (first post updated)

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Would you like to see a rerun of the CS cake contest?

yes
52%
no
2%
I could be interested in a similar competition that doesn't involve baking
46%

Total votes : 54

Bring back CS contests! (first post updated)

Postby rabidcoyote » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:12 am

rabidcoyote, Dec 27th 2023 wrote:I changed up the poll to add the third option, didn't think it'd remove all of the votes </3 72 people voted "yes" up until this point and it made for 92ish% of votes total if I'm not mistaken!

Bring back CS contests!

For anyone unaware, in 2011 CS held a baking competition in which you could win Amazon vouchers, badges, magnets and even custom pets. Each participant would also get a participation prize of a cake building item set.
As Lex. pointed out, there was a three month window in which monthly writing competitions were held - that was 2022/23, and prizes were strictly CS pets, so not entirely what I have in mind. The thread can be found here! It was discontinued due to lack of time it seems, which is a shame but completely understandable of course <3

I've been hoping for a rerun of the '11 cake contest ever since it was first announced because it seemed SO FUN!!! But I was too young at the time and it seems instead it's been forgotten and it's such a shame. If such contests were held regularly, I feel like they would attract people to the website just as well as Dec 18th does, and having a birthday cake contest even if it's every few years could possibly help with a more stable userbase. ;w;

If not a cake contest, Fanart competitions could also possibly be a good idea? There's always place for features during events but having a prize pool for them would definitely make more people willing to make fanart, and more fanart means more exposure, and more exposure means more users?

Competition ideas:
  • CS cake contest reruns (for every "5" and "0" anniversary?)
  • Writing contests
    • Write a CS song/poem (since recording would be illegal as per CS rules - suggested by BlueEyedKite here)
  • Drawing contests:
  • Simple competitions, ie. origami/designing a bookmark (suggested by Codex here)
  • Instagram raffles (suggested by i<3 wolves678 here)

Reward ideas:
The majority of those are meant for bigger contests, perhaps even limited to anniversaries?
  • Guaranteed item reward for entering, like in the 2011 cake contest
  • IRL trinkets!! Stickers, pins, keychains, whatever is affordable!
  • Custom pets/items (plushies of your OC?)
  • (for NPC designing/drawing) Having your art used on the website as a banner
  • CS pets
  • A ribbon or title shown underneath your UN in forums, maybe?

Additional notes:
  • Rather than having monthly reruns of the same competition, perhaps having set certain months for certain competitions in advance would be less demanding?
  • It's important to recognize we won't all do well in the same kind of competition; the anniversary competition could be split into a couple different ones, with one physical goodies winner in each category (or more if budget/circumstance allow it, of course) - one account would only be able to claim one physical bundle, to keep things fair.

Voice of The People™:
CanisCoyote wrote:I remember doing the cake contest with my best friend, we made a sheet cake and cut it in half and then each decorated our half at my house. It was so fun. I think it would he great to bring something like that back again! It would introduce unique ways to get unique pets and/or items.
vinyl wrote:
huge support! i was an active user on the site when this contest was happening, but back then i was too young to have a chance to participate. i'd love to see something like this come back, even if the prizes are reduced to CS-only stuff like custom pets, rare pets, and C$ instead of amazon cards.
tricks wrote:Definitely support this. I think this along with IRL merch like the stickers we used to have would make the community tighter.
Harbinger. wrote:Big support! From what I've heard (as I was not on the website back then), users found the experience enjoyable by getting to make a cat with friends or family, or even by themselves! They had fun doing it, and I believe this not only would boost player numbers, but also give a more interactive and happy-go-lucky environment to the website, if that makes sense.
Starfalling wrote:Support, even if it's something different or a variety (actually especially if it's a variety, for the sake of accessibility to differing skill sets/disabilities/budgets for players) more contests would be cool
Last edited by rabidcoyote on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 10 times in total.

x
𝕒 𝕘𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕕 𝕠𝕗 𝕊𝕒𝕥𝕒𝕟 𝕙𝕚𝕞𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕗

they/them or it/its
hopeless sudoku conoisseur, historical ed teach enthusiast, relentless snake booper

Suggestion: Bring back CS contests

rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Bring back the CS cake contest (or contests in general)!

Postby Madel » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:13 am

Contests like these NEED to come back! Please!
Major support

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Wildlife scientist working in
animal rehabilitation and
rescue. I'm often busy with
work but feel free to DM or
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
macaws, dragons, and wl pets.
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lex. » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:13 am

This would be great!
Wasn't there a writing competition that staff ran for like 1 month? IIRC, staff said they [in general] were going to organize those things once a month or something like that but to my knowledge that never got far.
But having something like this and other competitions for users to get exclusive items for being active community members would be great!

lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    if you're happy where you are
    then you need not look too far
    if you've found your place at last
    then you need not use the looking glass
    -;; bubble puppy

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabidcoyote » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:17 am

Lex. wrote:(snip)
Wasn't there a writing competition that staff ran for like 1 month?

I've never heard of that so I'll go ahead and post the link here for anyone else who's curious! Monthly competitions with smaller pet prizes sound really nice, but I also wouldn't want all of them to be writing based mostly because of the language barrier a lot of users including me struggle with ;u;

x

they/them or it/its
hopeless sudoku conoisseur, historical ed teach enthusiast, relentless snake booper

rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lex. » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 am

rabidcoyote wrote:
Lex. wrote:(snip)
Wasn't there a writing competition that staff ran for like 1 month?

I've never heard of that so I'll go ahead and post the link here for anyone else who's curious! Monthly competitions with smaller pet prizes sound really nice, but I also wouldn't want all of them to be writing based mostly because of the language barrier a lot of users including me struggle with ;u;

Ah, yeah that's what it was!
It seems that it's been unable to be kept up by staff due to real like obligations [which is ofc understandable] so maybe have a variety of competitions with varying time given so that it can be a bit more flexible and appeal to more users. Even though I probably won't be able to participate in a cake competition or things like that, it would still be really fun just to know that it's going on and there are other things that I can participate in that have to do with CS itself.

lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    if you're happy where you are
    then you need not look too far
    if you've found your place at last
    then you need not use the looking glass
    -;; bubble puppy

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabidcoyote » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:35 am

Since the cake competition is a pretty big thing and I'm sure was a pain to organise, maybe it could be held every few years rather than every April - would give users more time to prepare as well, and possibly give the cake contest a "bigger" feel while also leaving space for any other competitions?

x

they/them or it/its

rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CanisCoyote » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:52 am

I remember doing the cake contest with my best friend, we made a sheet cake and cut it in half and then each decorated our half at my house. It was so fun. I think it would he great to bring something like that back again! It would introduce unique ways to get unique pets and/or items.

Art selling/trading/buying - toyhou.se - My art gallery - Petz Site
Please link to my toyhou.se for all art credit. Thank you.
[I'm very scatterbrained, if I randomly stop replying to a convo or forget about some art I will be glad to receive another PM from you! It probably got buried in my inbox and erased from my brain.]
I LOVE ART TRADES
CanisCoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowKatto » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:14 am

Absolutely support!!!
Pet's name: Ashfur

ShadowKatto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Llazybonezz » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:15 am

support!! i feel like any contests would be really fun! maybe drawing contests too where users can vote for who they think should win too would be cool!!
they/them | Scorpio | Art Shop
Llazybonezz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gravy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:18 am

Not sure if this will come back but I’d love to see it happen. A unique contest every 3-4 years would be nice

ImageHello my names Jake!Image

signature art made by Surfhell
gravy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me