Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

clothes have genders??? by Silver Pandorica

Artist Silver Pandorica [gallery]
Time spent 11 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
22 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

clothes have genders???

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:17 pm

i'm a girl. i don't want to be anything else. i'm not confused about my gender in any way. but i've been thinking a lot about androgynous looks and clothing styles and i really like it, and i kinda feel this pull towards it. i like ties and button-ups and cargo shorts and hoodies and i sometimes wish i had short boyish hair but like...i also sometimes want to wear stuff like crop tops and skater skirts and cute dresses and little dangling cat earrings.

the thing is, i don't wear any of these things.

i have never had the confidence to wear the things i like. ever. when i was younger (before i had a job and became an adult that purchased my own clothes) my mom would buy things i said i liked for me, but then i would never wear them because i would chicken out. now i'll buy something and say "that'd be so cute! i'll totally wear this!" and then it sits in my closet untouched for months. i'm so terrified of people judging me. i'm afraid to look good. sometimes i don't think i can look good, even though people tell me that's not true. i don't wear makeup, partly because i'm lazy, but also because i'm super insecure. i can't even put on eyeliner without feeling weird. sometimes i look at other girls and they have super cute makeup and i'm like "wow, they're super pretty. i can't compete with that." and then i get angry at myself because i know i don't even try. it's so frustrating. i can't even explain why, because i don't know why.

sometimes i just so desperately want to dress androgynous. i love the style, and i think there's so many creative outfits to make while still being comfortable. but i'm afraid to do that, too. i'm afraid to cut my hair any shorter than chin length, because i've had it long my whole life. i'm afraid my family (who is great, by the way, but i care about their opinion of me) will hate it, or think it's weird. i'm worried coworkers, friends, and complete strangers will judge me. i know it doesn't matter, but i can't stop thinking about it. i feel weird and guilty when i think about wearing anything other than jeans/shorts and a t-shirt. i mean, i love being comfortable, but i want to be cute. i want to look like i didn't just roll out of bed and throw on the first thing i could find.

i don't know what to do. i'm confused. i'm insecure. i thought my stupid fears would go away after middle school. then i thought they would go away after high school. then i thought that in college, things will change. i'll magically be more confident and sure of myself, and i won't care what people think of me anymore. well, here i am, still just as insecure as i was when i was twelve.

thank you if you read this mess. i just needed to vent, because i don't have anyone i can talk to about this.
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: clothes have genders???

Postby XxFlamepoolxX » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:12 pm

My only advice is to try it. It’s perfectly ok to want to dress that way and clothing shouldn’t have genders. I have bought “boys” clothes my while life and I’m also an adult. Clothes are just that. Clothes. Wear what is comfortable for you and you will rock it. If you end up not liking it, no harm done. You can always go back to what you usually wear. If you aren’t sure about cutting your hair short, try just getting a few inches cut off and see how you feel about that. If you feel comfortable going shorter, try it. If it doesn’t work out, wear a hat or a cheap wig until it grows back. You never know what works for you until you try.
Image Image

GRAB BAGS & RARES FOR C$

Selling TH characters HERE
XxFlamepoolxX

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 am

XxFlamepoolxX wrote:My only advice is to try it. It’s perfectly ok to want to dress that way and clothing shouldn’t have genders. I have bought “boys” clothes my while life and I’m also an adult. Clothes are just that. Clothes. Wear what is comfortable for you and you will rock it. If you end up not liking it, no harm done. You can always go back to what you usually wear. If you aren’t sure about cutting your hair short, try just getting a few inches cut off and see how you feel about that. If you feel comfortable going shorter, try it. If it doesn’t work out, wear a hat or a cheap wig until it grows back. You never know what works for you until you try.

I agree. I wish there was just "clothes" instead of dividing it up into these categories. Anyway, you're right, I just need to go for it. It's a lot easier said than done, though, especially when I've been dressing a certain way my entire life and I have a crippling fear of change :')
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby XxFlamepoolxX » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 am

Silver Pandorica wrote:
XxFlamepoolxX wrote:My only advice is to try it. It’s perfectly ok to want to dress that way and clothing shouldn’t have genders. I have bought “boys” clothes my while life and I’m also an adult. Clothes are just that. Clothes. Wear what is comfortable for you and you will rock it. If you end up not liking it, no harm done. You can always go back to what you usually wear. If you aren’t sure about cutting your hair short, try just getting a few inches cut off and see how you feel about that. If you feel comfortable going shorter, try it. If it doesn’t work out, wear a hat or a cheap wig until it grows back. You never know what works for you until you try.

I agree. I wish there was just "clothes" instead of dividing it up into these categories. Anyway, you're right, I just need to go for it. It's a lot easier said than done, though, especially when I've been dressing a certain way my entire life and I have a crippling fear of change :')

I completely understand how you feel. I believe in you though. Just start with little things and ease into it until it’s comfortable for you.
Image Image

GRAB BAGS & RARES FOR C$

Selling TH characters HERE
XxFlamepoolxX

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby angeleyes. » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:03 am

my mom says she doesnt want me dressing up like a boy when I cosplay, yet I wear these things almost everyday...so confusing ;-;
    evan / she.her
    cartoon enjoyer
angeleyes.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goldstarwolf » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:34 pm

Im cis women but sometimes men's clothes are just more comfy also I like wearing baggy stuff sometimes so I totally understand. Theres a lot of baggy clothes that skaters wear maybe try looking at what skaters wear is my best advice.
Life Is Like A Dream

┊┊┊┊┊┊┊┊☆┊┊┊┊┊┊┊┊

┊┊┊┊┊┊┊┊☆┊┊┊┊┊┊┊┊

Goldstarwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:30 pm

XxFlamepoolxX wrote:I completely understand how you feel. I believe in you though. Just start with little things and ease into it until it’s comfortable for you.

Thank you! Change is scary to me, but I'll do my best to take small steps and work my way up!

Elias. wrote:my mom says she doesnt want me dressing up like a boy when I cosplay, yet I wear these things almost everyday...so confusing ;-;

Ooh rip. Sorry man, that stinks :(

Goldstarwolf wrote:Im cis women but sometimes men's clothes are just more comfy also I like wearing baggy stuff sometimes so I totally understand. Theres a lot of baggy clothes that skaters wear maybe try looking at what skaters wear is my best advice.

I'll look at that, thanks ^^ Yeah, I'm cis but I just have never really been super feminine, y'know?? I just wanna be comfortable being a girl my own way instead of what the world thinks I should be, if that makes sense.
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes