Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

an update of sorts?? by jellyphants

Artist jellyphants [gallery]
Time spent 6 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
11 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

an update of sorts??

Postby jellyphants » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 am

man i wish the sketches/experiments channel still existed lol

some of my tiny band of followers may be wondering why i've been so inactive lately, so ive decided to make a quick post explaining some stuff.

i downloaded firealpaca a while ago and now primarily draw using that program, which is why i havent really posted any art here in a good month.* i've also begun to lose interest in chickensmoothie, and feel less motivation to come online.

*i'm thinking of making a thread in the art gallery forum so i can post non-oekaki stuff here, for anyone who's interested.

i won't be gone forever, as i've lost interest in cs like this a few times before and always end up coming back. i'll still be active in my adoptables communities and will occasionally pop in to buy art/characters or sell designs. expect more activity soon, i just wanted to put this out there so people who follow me don't think i've quit!

feel free 2 ask questions if you have any
jellyphants

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: an update of sorts??

Postby Lex. » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:04 am

Aw, It's sad to hear you've lost interest in this site, but I can definitely see why.
And I do have a few questions if you don't mind :'>
1. What will you do with species you own? (Like Dustbowl Fancy Rats and Elwyns)
2. What artwork have you done recently that you are most proud of?
3. What oekaki tips do you have? Like how do you draw so good? o.o

lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    if you're happy where you are
    then you need not look too far
    if you've found your place at last
    then you need not use the looking glass
    -;; bubble puppy

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jellyphants » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:24 am

Lex. wrote:Aw, It's sad to hear you've lost interest in this site, but I can definitely see why.
And I do have a few questions if you don't mind :'>
1. What will you do with species you own? (Like Dustbowl Fancy Rats and Elwyns)
2. What artwork have you done recently that you are most proud of?
3. What oekaki tips do you have? Like how do you draw so good? o.o

1; dustbowls are pretty much dead, sadly; i think they were kinda doomed from the start. as for elwyns, they're actually in the process of being transferred to another user! i'm just waiting for permission from the original owner :')

2; i've been experimenting a lot with my style lately: here's my most recent piece! (linked due to image size)

3; i'm not a great teacher, but i have a few tips!

a) this is overused, but really, practicing a ton is the best thing you can do. my first ever pieces were... pretty bad, to say the least;

ImageImageImage

but after years of drawing i can look back on them and say i'm proud of how far i've come. ( the sketch in this post is actually the same character as that first image! )

b) copy aspects of other people's styles that you like! doing this really helped me improve my style. if you like someone else's art, isolate what you like about it and put that in your own work.

c) this is also pretty overused, but use references. looking at pictures of what you're trying to draw helps a lot if you're trying to get the basics of realism down, and from there you can stylise stuff. it also helps to outline images of animals/objects using simple shapes so you can recognise those shapes to draw them yourself. (just don't claim stuff as yours if it's traced!)
jellyphants

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lex. » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:29 am

1. Aspynn, the original owner, has been unactive for quite some time, I'm unsure if they have given anyone another way to contact them besides here on CS.
2. Wow, I really love that cat! I'm a total sucker for any black tabby and bobtail XD
3. Yea, I've been practicing and yea, I am noticing a difference! I am improving, but I hope that maybe in a few months or even a year I can notice a difference from then to now lol
c) - yea, I try to use a refrence when I can, it really helps with accuracy!

Do you use a pen or a mouse?
I tried using a pen that my father gave me a while back, but I couldn't find a way for it to work.
The drawing pad was acting strange lol

lex // any pronouns // lion lover // 10/21
    if you're happy where you are
    then you need not look too far
    if you've found your place at last
    then you need not use the looking glass
    -;; bubble puppy

Lex.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jellyphants » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:44 am

Lex. wrote:1. Aspynn, the original owner, has been unactive for quite some time, I'm unsure if they have given anyone another way to contact them besides here on CS.
2. Wow, I really love that cat! I'm a total sucker for any black tabby and bobtail XD
3. Yea, I've been practicing and yea, I am noticing a difference! I am improving, but I hope that maybe in a few months or even a year I can notice a difference from then to now lol
c) - yea, I try to use a refrence when I can, it really helps with accuracy!

Do you use a pen or a mouse?
I tried using a pen that my father gave me a while back, but I couldn't find a way for it to work.
The drawing pad was acting strange lol

you're probably right; i'll probably just hand the species over to the user who wants it if aspynn doesn't respond in a week or so.

i use a wacom intuos S! i'm not sure how good it is in the grand scheme of things as it's the only tablet i've ever used, but it works well for me :shrug:
jellyphants

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jellyphants » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:38 am

jellyphants

My pets
My items